Quake 2 for Android

Thats pretty cool. Reminds me of putting Rockbox on my Ipod Video in order to play Doom 1 + 2, Metal Gear for the GB, Pokemon Red, and Kirby.

Mmmmm, Q3 on it would be more frustrating than fun, I'd imagine. Controlling it would be a bitch!

Also, wait. That phone looks so sexy.

Nice, the Q2 port is based on Jake2. Going to get the sources and see if theres something neat to be done.

Mmmmm, Q3 on it would be more frustrating than fun, I'd imagine. Controlling it would be a bitch!

Also, wait. That phone looks so sexy.

yes it does...which is why you've already decided to put one on your credit card for me *uses old jedi mind trick*

I'm searching for the game on my Incredible...can't wait!

i have the installer, does anyone have a link to the pak??

If you install it, open the app, hit menu, go to "tools" i think. You can download the .pak that way.

Interesting as a tech experiment, but I really don't fancy trying to play either game on the keyboardless Legend (does it even work? The Hero is slower and supposedly capable of running Q2, but Q3? And the Desire seems to have some trouble with Q2...).

Are there any games that really feel right for touchscreen-solo devices, that are really worth checking out on Android? I'm pretty much sticking with Bonsai Blast.

Got myself a HTC Desire a week or so ago, definitely going to download this. Love android, so awesome.

I can't wait for the EVO 4g to come out in June, that will be my new phone. I wonder how this would play without a keyboard though.

Is the dude controlling with his mind in the first vid?

Which is the best phone running Android? There seems to be a couple released every week, it's a headache trying to figure out which one is the best.

Is the dude controlling with his mind in the first vid?

Which is the best phone running Android? There seems to be a couple released every week, it's a headache trying to figure out which one is the best.

The evo 4g will be the fastest when it comes out from what I understand. I believe nexus one is next in line.

I'm thinking he has a bluetooth keyboard, could be wrong.

Lol, you guys must not remember that he is watching the intro before you start the game.

*EDIT* With a keyboardless phone, I'd assume you would just use the uhh...the thing that can tell which way you're tipping the phone....anyway, tilt it forward to move forward, back turn left and right. Not sure about strafing....fire would be the same *Tap the phone*.

*EDIT2* I MEANT THE ACCELEROMETER. I knew I'd remember sooner or later.

The evo 4g will be the fastest when it comes out from what I understand. I believe nexus one is next in line.

I'm thinking he has a bluetooth keyboard, could be wrong.

So the biggest differentiation is speed and minor hardware changes?

What about the Droid? I keep hearing about that one. Is that the official Google one?

So the biggest differentiation is speed and minor hardware changes?
Pretty much since Android is meant to be a standard OS, so it should all function the same independent of the device (in theory). However, Android keeps coming out with new versions that won't always work with older phones (unlike the iPhone OS).

What about the Droid? I keep hearing about that one. Is that the official Google one?

Droid was from Motorola put out by verizon. Good phone but it came out about a year so there are probably better options out there (assuming you don't need a real keyboard).

Nexus One is the official google phone:

http://www.google.com/phone

But in reality Google also throws its full support by devices such as the Evo so the fact the nexus one is officially from google is of little significance.

FWIW: I do enjoy my Moto Droid a lot. Even though it's so large I can use it as a personal defense device.

Pretty much since Android is meant to be a standard OS, so it should all function the same independent of the device (in theory). However, Android keeps coming out with new versions that won't always work with older phones (unlike the iPhone OS).

The new multitasking stuff in the next iPhone OS update won't be available on the iPhone 3G or earlier (as well as iPod Touch 2nd gen/lower iirc). Time to upgrade for me anyways!

Droid was from Motorola put out by verizon. Good phone but it came out about a year so there are probably better options out there (assuming you don't need a real keyboard).

I'd be happy as long as it runs the current version of Android, doesn't matter to me if the hardware is a year old. Good riddance to physical keyboards.

FWIW: I do enjoy my Moto Droid a lot. Even though it's so large I can use it as a personal defense device.

Does each manufacturer have their own version of the Droid?

There are a few phones out there with the word "Droid" put into it. Anymore I think they have started to stray away since Motorola took over that name pretty heavily.

If you want a cheap solution for the best android device available:

1) Buy a Moto Droid

2) Root it

3) Install a custom rom (Bugless Beast)

4) Overclock it

That's one thing I've been thinking about, but I'm way too scared of bricking it. I'm too poor to get another one.

Is that the equivalent of jailbreaking?

anyone have an AT&T android phone yet? Far as I know and have heard none were worth me being interested in besides the Nexus

It's essentially giving yourself administrator rights. If that's what Jailbreaking does, then yes.

What do administrator rights allow that can't be done vanilla?

I've been thinking about rooting my HTC Desire, which is pretty much the same thing. The Desire is essentially a Nexus One (HTC manufactured too!) with Sense UI...which I'm finding a little restrictive for customisation. Also rooting lets you use app2sd - apps onto sd card woot.

Getting an android phone has been a great investment. In the 18 months since I got my last phone...this area of technology has actually got interesting. I can't believe I'm saying that.

Yeah, mostly it's just people who are wanting 100% everything they control on their phone, plus some other benefits.

Me? I'm good.

Yeah, mostly it's just people who are wanting 100% everything they control on their phone, plus some other benefits.

Me? I'm good.

Yeah that's what I figured. Same people that obsess over linux.

lol linux

The new multitasking stuff in the next iPhone OS update won't be available on the iPhone 3G or earlier (as well as iPod Touch 2nd gen/lower iirc). Time to upgrade for me anyways!

I'd be happy as long as it runs the current version of Android, doesn't matter to me if the hardware is a year old. Good riddance to physical keyboards.

Does each manufacturer have their own version of the Droid?

The HTC Droid Incredible and the Nexus One are the best android phones out in North America right now. Both have the 1 GHz snap dragon and shit.

The HTC Droid Incredible and the Nexus One are the best android phones out in North America right now. Both have the 1 GHz snap dragon and shit.

My friend has a Milestone and another has the N1. Both say they have the best phone.

Who to believe??

This is why I don't like choice.

Remember that Google I/O is starting today/tomorrow. Android 2.2 will be released then. Some speed optimizations, tethering, wifi-hotspot, native app2sd and propably something else too. 2.2 is the only reason I've haven't bought the Desire (plus that it has ran out in every store here).

Scared HTC will take too long to ship the update for the Desire? It will certainly come, I'm not worried about that.
native add2sd
Is that confirmed for 2.2? I'm holding back on rooting till then although the custom themes are still appealing.

this is a dumb question but all I get is the Quake 2 demo. am I missing something or is the 40MB file just a demo?? I've tried just about everything in the menu and tools and no such luck

Yes that is the demo...you'll have to "aquire" it through another Form. I like Big Tailor....

Back