Question about running this on a 3400+ mobile cpu

Reaction score
I have a 64bit cpu, the 3400+ and its supposed to run at 2.2ghz...and when I run HL2 or CSS, it says in the console, when i first connect to a server or something, that its 798mhz, and 1024 mb RAM....why isnt my cpu going as fast as it should be? I have the computer plugged into the wall, so it isnt running on batteries? Anyone who has this cpu or knows about it have any idea if I need to get certain drivers or anything? I did reinstall windows, and as far as I know, I got all of the drivers I needed, but I could be wrong. Any help is appreciated! Thanx!

I wouldn't believe that thing, right click on my computer and choose properties. On the bottom of the properties window there's a things that says how fast it's going.

Does it *seem* to be going slow? It may just be the FSB speed, which, in your case, may run at 800hz (perfectly normal)

Pesmerga said:
Does it *seem* to be going slow? It may just be the FSB speed, which, in your case, may run at 800hz (perfectly normal)
good point

on my computer, it also says ~798, but i think its supposed to speed up when it needs to, i just cant tell when it does. i wish it would just run at 2.2ghz all the time

I have heard that notebook computers can report false cpu speeds. Is your framerate low? Unless you know there is a problem I bet there is nothing wrong with it.

Check in the Bios to make sure the settings are correct. I remember one random day my processor was reporting a 1ghz less than it was supposed to, and I found that the settings were changed in the bios.

Laptops do that - once you start doing something - it'll bounce back up to 2.2G.

i think this is definetly a bios problem. i used to have an AMD chip on a real dodge motherboard that would every now and then report a slower CPU speed. I just went into the bios, under a 'cpu pnp settings' menu. now i cant remember the setting i had to change (sorry!), but i think it was the cpu voltage which was on a lower value and had to be reset to a higher value....

BigDannyO said:
i think this is definetly a bios problem. i used to have an AMD chip on a real dodge motherboard that would every now and then report a slower CPU speed. I just went into the bios, under a 'cpu pnp settings' menu. now i cant remember the setting i had to change (sorry!), but i think it was the cpu voltage which was on a lower value and had to be reset to a higher value....

Yeh I have heard of that before, mate has a 3400+ and the voltage had somehow lowered itsself. He just cracked it back upto teh correct voltage levels and the FSB and multiplier went back to there default speeds and it was all fine. Pretty strange how this seems to happen to quite a few people though. On the other hand, it could be that the laptop is always changing teh clock speed to make it power efficient, but I'm not sure if it would show the actual speed or simply the default speed when you looked at it in my computer. CPU-Z might report the correct clock speed though. I would have a look in the bios and make sure that the voltage, FSB and multiplier are all set to the correct values for your model of CPU.

Back