quick question

Korgoth

Reaction score
I have been reading a lot of conflicting post and articles lately, so i was wondering, are they shipping all tools (I.E. hammer) with half life 2 in the box? Or will we have to download the sdk seperate? Also what good would it be if they released it earlier than the game itself, we wouldn't be able to test anything that we make would we?

Supposedly there will be a 'room' which you can test your creations in

ok, that would be cool! But if they do release it on steam or whatever does that mean it won't be in the hl2 box cuz im on 56k and i get really low download speeds and thats just gonna be a thorn in my side if i have to download it all, because surely the servers will be flooded

I better hope there will be a 'room' where we can test the maps, models and physics etc..

is that for sure? if you want to test the game_functions you have to get the engine first he?

Gabe said there will be a room with all the characters i think

Does that mean there won't be a copy of the sdk included with the games??? I have to download it sepereate?

Inversion, I'm sure you could find a friend that would be able to burn it onto a cd for you...heck, if you REALLY want it, I'll burn it onto a CD and send it to you once it releases.

hehe ok,... well im sure i'll end up downloadin' it... but im building a new system, sorta a workstation, and i didn't want to put the internet on this new system cuz i want to keep it clean and organized and free of bugs, and viruses... but oh well guess i'll have to anyway cuz i know i'll want to play multiplayer..

multiplayer with 56K?

and you can download free virusscanners and firewalls from the internet

I have downloaded tons of files and never got infected with virusses or hacked even without firewalls/scanners

I have ;( it sucks...
Wonder how big of a download the sdk will be?

EDIT"and i play ut2k3 online without a problem, so my download speeds are slow, but gaming isn't bad at all"EDIT

the SDK total will be probally 200 mb (they gonna add softimage|xsi exp to the sdk) softimage is about 100 mb

the halflife 1 sdk is about 100mb

;( thats huge for me ;( man i have to find a friend with a cable modem and a cd burner

Hey Wait! I just remembered something... That interview that talks about the new engine, not sure where it was, but they said that the new engine uses TGA texture format right? Ok and that format makes huge HUGE file size textures right? Well if we get the sdk over the internet and not with the game when it ships then that download is gonna be freakin' huge! Right?

Originally posted by Innervision961
Hey Wait! I just remembered something... That interview that talks about the new engine, not sure where it was, but they said that the new engine uses TGA texture format right? Ok and that format makes huge HUGE file size textures right? Well if we get the sdk over the internet and not with the game when it ships then that download is gonna be freakin' huge! Right?

i dont know if the sdk will be shipping with the game, but hammer will, and i would think they're try to keep the filesizes low for the sdk *shrug* why dont you email gabe or erik or chris?

So hammer will ship with hl2 then? If so GREAT! thats what i was worried about, i don't know there emails, and they probably wouldn't want to be bugged by me... but i'm sure they will figure something out

hammer does...the sdk doesnt...so if you just want to make maps, its fine, but you have to download the sdk to make mods

Ok cool! I haven't ever used the half life sdk, and never made any hl1 maps, so i think map making will be a good starting point for me, thats all i really want to do at first anyway, just to get some experience and then I might try my hand at some coding and more difficult stuff..

Back