Radiohead fans...

Every time Radiohead releases a new album, Episode 3 gets delayed a few more months.

I'm very excited!

"Two clear 10" vinal records". Does clear equal transparent?

"Two clear 10" vinal records". Does clear equal transparent?

clear vinyl isn't crystal clear (not in my experience, anyway), it's a little cloudy but for the most part... kinda.

if i had any care about radiohead whatsoever i'd probably order it as clear because i'm a big overexcited vinyl prick when it comes to getting limited edition pressings, but i don't care about radiohead whatsoever. though i will listen to this in the vain hope that maybe this record will be something to write home about.

Why the **** would they charge more for .wav format.

Eh, I'll wait for my Radiohead obsessed friend to grab it.

Oh god the album artwork is ****ing unbelievable. That just clicks with me. That might be my favorite ever, I'll have to get a bigger scan of it. But I don't 'get' Radiohead. Well, I think there's one song I like.

Yeah, that is not cool. Would you charge extra for a 720p version of a movie over 480p? Or better yet, would you sell an intentionally-degraded version at regular price, just so you can charge extra for full quality?

Well, I'm not sure what digital albums usually go for in pounds, but there's always the chance the wav version is "regular" price and they just reduced the price for the mp3 version, which I suppose would be alright. Mostly I just thought it was odd that it was a separate purchase at all, instead of just bundling them into one and giving you the option of format/bitrate when you went to download. But also - wav, really? Isn't FLAC the format of choice for audiophiles, if they're worried about that sort of thing?

But wasn't part of the rationale behind name-your-price that prices like $14 were too high for a CD album? The quality dichotomy just seems arbitrary to me.

Also, I guess, but WAV is standard. Plus, audiophiles can convert it into any format they wish and be assured that someone didn't accidentally choose a destructive level of data compression.

Meh, I thought that once a once off as a thanks to the fans, but honestly I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention. Anyway, 320k mp3 is fine for me at the moment, I just appreciate the option for lossless so that, when I finally get a sound system that's decent enough to appreciate the difference, I can just go back and re-download in higher quality. Preferably without re-purchasing.

Currently studying the 'voodoo' quality 24-Bit, 92khz vinyl rips, saved to lossless (comes to like 1GB per album - that's a lot of detailed information). Frequencies outside of the range of human hearing are possible on vinyl, and those frequencies interact with frequencies you can hear; hence the voodoo.

But, in the end, they are limited by the source: however the vinyl was mastered. That's why I think the MFSL remasters (and the like) are the best. If you combine the vinyl voodoo with an MFSL remaster, you will have orgasmic quality.

But you need a good sound system. A 24 bit audio processor (most modern ones? - the X-Fi, for example), and you need good speakers. I currently have that, the only thing is that I'd like to get a new amp, probably Denon or Onkyo, whatever I can afford with great reviews. But my next amp/receiver will have a fiber optic audio input. That's the only thing I'm lacking.

Sucks to have tinnitus. :(

WAV files are exponentially larger than mp3s. Perhaps the price is due to bandwidth demands.

Why is everyone just talking about the prices? This is meant to be a discussion about an amazing band and their new album! :( Besides its not like they're just after the money, if you recall when In Rainbows came out they gave the fans the choice to choose whatever price they thought it was worth, you could pay 2p if you wanted to. Besides 9 pounds is nothing for what is essentially a full album at full quality, especially from a band as prestigious as Radiohead.

i thought radiohead were really supportive of the idea of choosing your own price, why go back on themselves now? i could swear they defended it a lot circa in rainbows.

or was that reznor who really believed in it? either way, seems daft to go back against it anyroads.

"Reznor believed in it, and Radiohead piggybacked for PR"

is my current opinion, even though I'll enjoy the hell out of the album anyway.

radiohead are such hacks, i swear. **** this music

though i'm still quite excited just because, you know, it's new music. can't shake a stick at new music

the King of Limbs - album of the decade

doesn't really work with ''every radiohead album - album of the decade'' that is usually said all the time ever.

No dood it's not album of the decade until someone discovers it's meant to be matched up with some obscure demo tape from '85 with the tracks alternating at prime numbers, except certain songs have to be played backwards and digitally lowered by several octaves. :dork:

Why is everyone just talking about the prices? This is meant to be a discussion about an amazing band and their new album! :(

Well I mean, what's to discuss before it comes out? :p

Anyway, like I said, I wasn't really complaining about the price so much (could have worded it better in retrospect, as with many things), just expressing confusion over the segregation of the two formats. As for the bandwidth thing - I know I've been harping on about them a lot lately, but bandcamp offer any of their records in lossless formats like FLAC (not sure about wav) at the same price, which is usually low and sometimes completely free. Of course, they're an entire website and Radiohead is a single band, but... they're ****ing Radiohead. So, you know, I don't think it's a huge concern for them somehow. Either that or they need to get a new host.

No dood it's not album of the decade until someone discovers it's meant to be matched up with some obscure demo tape from '85 with the tracks alternating at prime numbers, except certain songs have to be played backwards and digitally lowered by several octaves. :dork:

Haha did anyone actually try putting In Rainbows and OK Computer together in a playlist? That was generally creepy, in fact, I think there was a discussion about here! :p

Well I mean, what's to discuss before it comes out? :p

True, but can just hype it up etc! :D For instance I watched this the other day, I had never seen this performance before but it is truly masterful. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8byXSML4bY

I tried it but couldn't get the crossfading and whatnot working, so maybe it didn't have the right effect. Regardless, I've listened to those two albums far too much, and I always listen to albums in their original order so it's hard to approach that kind of thing with an open mind (err... open ear?).

Love that performance, listened to it a while back, might play it through again. I'm really into small, intimate live performances that mimic the record closely. That guy also has a shitton of other Radiohead performances on his account, which is nice if you have a few weeks to spare. ;)

Yeah I do generally prefer the more intimate gigs too, and yeh I am glad to see the magnitude of full live performances by Radiohead on youtube now, you can be occupied for ages. There's even the full performance they did at Glastonbury 1997 which I advise anyone to track down and watch, mind blowing stuff..

Okay, i've downloaded the bastard. I'm currently in school, can't wait to get home and hear it!

listening to this now, thoughts in about 37 minutes.

edit: dull as dishwater. i ****ing loathe this band so much for blindsiding other way more interesting UK acts so much and stealing all the attention on lackluster rinse repeat nonsense. i cannot find anything special to say about this whatsoever, even the artwork is below standard for a stanley donwood.

Listened to it as I was internetting, didn't do much for me.

Gonna try to get into it more, but maybe Radiohead is just heading downhill. I didn't like In Rainbows as much as everyone else... for me, the glory days were Kid A / Amnesiac. My friend was saying he thinks this latest album is more like Kid A than anything else but all I really hear is In Rainbows...

listening to this now, thoughts in about 37 minutes.

edit: dull as dishwater. i ****ing loathe this band so much for blindsiding other way more interesting UK acts so much and stealing all the attention on lackluster rinse repeat nonsense. i cannot find anything special to say about this whatsoever, even the artwork is below standard for a stanley donwood.

Radiohead are stealing all the attention? Rinse and repeat? Way more interesting acts in the UK? Well this is news to me.

Anyway I really like this album, it was quite difficult to get into at first but after listening through it a few times and getting an open mind finally, I decided I really did like it. Little by Little and Codex are just masterful, the latter definitely being one of their greatest songs ever, it is just so moving and beautiful. I seriously cannot wait to hear them all live, I think it will definitely give the songs a lot more justice, I mean initially I didn't rate In Rainbows that highly until I heard the songs live. Its also further credit to them for continuing making music just how they want it, without conforming to some external motive or fanbase, for instance Muse making their latest album specifically to break the states and the world and becoming shit in the process.

I thought it was mildly interesting, nothing more, nothing less. I hope it will become good within the context of the album.

Radiohead are stealing all the attention? Rinse and repeat? Way more interesting acts in the UK? Well this is news to me.

what hat man said. :p

there are tons of great uk based bands doing ace things lately. perhaps not on the same grandiose scale as radiohead, but as far as creative thinking goes, yeah, deffo. what i said is mostly me being jaded regarding a band i honestly don't think are very special and at the same time my frustration towards bands i do find to be something special getting not nearly as much attention but then really, this could be a thread about [band i dislike] getting more favor towards [band i like], so take it with a pinch of salt.

more importantly, still dull, though if i listen to locust flower by means of watching the video it's a throughly good song, but the video really helps.

an interesting thing to keep in mind is the rumors of a second part to the album coming out soon, which people believe to be evident in the fact that the physical release is going to be 2XLP and released next month, and also to do with the last lyric of the album being 'If you think this is over then you're wrong' or something to that effect. it's also ridiculously short for a radiohead album and those pricks do like their tricks.

i'm on the fence for it, i'm not going to get my hopes up for a second part though it would be appreciative as this is pretty lackluster, but on the other hand i can take it or leave it as i don't find that supporting the radiohead hype is anything i'm too desperate to win the race at. i mean man, the amount of people on the internet already squabbling for first place at the biggest radiohead fan convention is astounding. just enjoy the music, folks! or don't, in this case?

Rdiohead still putting out the same dreary shit as they have for the last 10 years? *Listens to their new album* Yep, what a waste of time.

there are tons of great uk based bands doing ace things lately. perhaps not on the same grandiose scale as radiohead, but as far as creative thinking goes, yeah, deffo.

Which bands? I'm not being a dick or anything, I am genuinely interested :p For me the only other good band still created good stuff from the UK apart from Radiohead is InMe. Granted, they are tiny, in comparison to Radiohead though and I do think they deserve to be much bigger.

what i said is mostly me being jaded regarding a band i honestly don't think are very special and at the same time my frustration towards bands i do find to be something special getting not nearly as much attention

Well to be fair, Radiohead deserve to have the acclaim they have, because in most musical circles, they have created consistently brilliant albums and their live performances have always blown everyone away. They played the Reading/Leeds festival not two years ago, a bunch of my friends went who aren't even Radiohead fans, and they all said they were hands down, the best act of the festival. Not to mention with their first album contained 'Creep', they were dubbed as the 'Creep band' for a very long time, and seen as mere one hit wonders, they ignored all that and went to work to create The Bends, which basically shut everyone up. Not to mention they created OK Computer after that, which for yearsssss in polls in various areas, its regarded as the greatest album ever made.

So you know, credit where credit's due :p But even despite all this, Radiohead don't steal all the attention, I mean during the OK Computer period, they were seen as the biggest band on the planet, but that is simply not the case anymore. They have a very specific, you could say, fanbase, for instance most people have heard of Radiohead, but most of those people wouldn't call themselves a fan, but at the same time, MANY, will turn up for their gigs. They are like Tool in that respect really.

Rdiohead still putting out the same dreary shit as they have for the last 10 years? *Listens to their new album* Yep, what a waste of time.

Why come onto a topic in regards to Radiohead and their new album, when you dislike the band? I would say that is a waste of time personally.

Wow that InMe band is like looking through a portal into the late 90s. Surreal.

Why come onto a topic in regards to Radiohead and their new album, when you dislike the band? I would say that is a waste of time personally.

In the 90's Radiohead made some decent music. I wanted to see if Yorky boy was still insistent on making the same boring and depressing stuff he had since then. It's clear he is and so I'm not interested in listening to anymore. As for coming into the topic, well it's a discussion forum I didn't realise this was just a thread for those who idolise everything Radiohead put out.

I mean during the OK Computer period, they were seen as the biggest band on the planet

Really? I don't think they were. They were considered a pretty damn good UK band but planet? Nah. OK Computer didn't even break top 20 in a lot of countries.

Why would you post your dislike for the album, in the thread about Radiohead, when you have never clearly liked the band? I mean its clearly a pointless thing to do. If I saw a thread open up elsewhere regarding a band I had never seen eye to eye with, I wouldn't go into that thread and slate the band and their new album, because I know I don't like that band. If the thread was called 'What do you think about Radiohead?' then, it would have relevance.

Wow that InMe band is like looking through a portal into the late 90s. Surreal.

It does bring on a nostalgia trip for most although I am surprised someone else on here knows of them D: What do you think of their newer stuff?

Why would you post your dislike for the album, in the thread about Radiohead, when you have never clearly liked the band? I mean its clearly a pointless thing to do. If I saw a thread open up elsewhere regarding a band I had never seen eye to eye with, I wouldn't go into that thread and slate the band and their new album, because I know I don't like that band. If the thread was called 'What do you think about Radiohead?' then, it would have relevance.
It does bring on a nostalgia trip for most although I am surprised someone else on here knows of them D: What do you think of their newer stuff?

You miss the bit where I said I liked them in the 90's? Yes, you must of done because it renders what comes after void. I did like the band and I don't anymore. Even if I hated them since they started, the fact that this is a thread about Radiohead on a discussion forum means that even if I despise them I can come in here and post my opinion. Like any other thread on this board that attracts people to express there disappointment/dislike of the threads topic. It's a discussion and if it upsets you due to your love of Radiohead then deal with it, not everybody shares the same opinion and I'm discussing mine. You seem to be under the belief that if no one shares the view that Radiohead are great then they have no reason to discuss them and that is very very incorrect.

You miss the bit where I said I liked them in the 90's? Yes, you must of done because it renders what comes after void. I did like the band and I don't anymore. Even if I hated them since they started, the fact that this is a thread about Radiohead on a discussion forum means that even if I despise them I can come in here and post my opinion.

Well you have every right to do so, I was merely pointing out that I think its pretty pointless given your view of the band.

Like any other thread on this board that attracts people to express there disappointment/dislike of the threads topic. It's a discussion and if it upsets you due to your love of Radiohead then deal with it, not everybody shares the same opinion and I'm discussing mine. You seem to be under the belief that if no one shares the view that Radiohead are great then they have no reason to discuss them and that is very very incorrect.

But how can you hope to give a fair review of an album, from a band you don't even like? I said its pointless because there will obviously be clear bias in your opinion because you simply dislike the band, like I said if the thread was discussing the band in general, then you would have every right to post, but it isn't, its a thread about their new album.

haters gonna hate. I

This is a ****in brilliant album. Perfect fusion of electro and rock. With an album title inspired by a 1000 year old tree, song titles like Bloom, Lotus Flower, and Feral, a acoustic guitars galore (even acoustic bass), exclusively real drums, and chopped up samples of thing like hand claps, hand percussion, the human voice, and a plethora of other natural sounds, Radiohead with this album were clearly trying to create something completely organic out of an electronic atmosphere. The whole thing is peppered with glitches and blips, but it never stops feeling alive.
Here the electronic haze of our modern age blends seemlessly with a forest of natural sound. Radiohead wanted to create an electronic album that was alive and breathing, and with The King of Limbs they've succeeded mightily.

Back