Radiohead fans...

It does bring on a nostalgia trip for most although I am surprised someone else on here knows of them D: What do you think of their newer stuff?

Oh, I don't. Just youtubed a couple songs after you mentioned em. :>

But how can you hope to give a fair review of an album, from a band you don't even like? I said its pointless because there will obviously be clear bias in your opinion because you simply dislike the band, like I said if the thread was discussing the band in general, then you would have every right to post, but it isn't, its a thread about their new album.

That's the point you're missing, I don't hate the band, which again is something I have already stated. I'm impartial on the actual band itself and am judging the music they are putting out. They have an amazing back catalogue up until a certain point when the music they started to make was just nonsense, so I can quite easily give a fair view on the album as I would any other piece of music I would listen to. I don't like Robbie Williams for example, hate the bloke with a passion but some of his earlier solo work was brilliant. It's not the same with Radiohead, I neither love nor hate the band just hate the music they have released since OK Computer.
At the end of the day though, weather I liked/disliked the band or their music I am entitled to give my views on them in any discussion. It's just you don't like reading the opinions of someone who doesn't worship the ground they walk on. Not everyone likes their music and you've got to get your head around that.

That's the point you're missing, I don't hate the band, which again is something I have already stated. I'm impartial on the actual band itself and am judging the music they are putting out. They have an amazing back catalogue up until a certain point when the music they started to make was just nonsense,
LOL! Songs like Everything In Its Right Place, Pyramid Song, There There, The National Anthem, Arpeggi are nonsense? Are you joking? Radiohead's post-milennial output is some of the finest pop music available these days. The Bends doesn't even come close to being comparable to albums like Kid A, In Rainbows, Amnesiac, and TKOL. OK Computer was a masterpiece, of course. Maybe they should've stuck to making half-baked rock records like Pablo Honey. I'm amazed people are still dogging on Radiohead for taking the unexpected route and pushing themselves, it was over a decade ago. The King of Limbs is a brilliant record and it's incredible that people are shitting on it without even honestly listening to it. People are judging the record based on their own expectations rather then on how the music actually sounds. And it sounds really, really damn good. It's obvious Stemot that you haven't even really listened to it with an open ear.

I really liked. A grower not a shower, pardon my horrible horrible pun

Yeah, the album is growing on me. Probably two more listens until I love it.

The King of Limbs is a brilliant record and it's incredible that people are shitting on it without even honestly listening to it. People are judging the record based on their own expectations rather then on how the music actually sounds. And it sounds really, really damn good. It's obvious Stemot that you haven't even really listened to it with an open ear.

That's quite an assumption. But hey, I'm sure it's not based in any way on your own favour of and expectations for the band.

classic ''you don't like radiohead? you ****ing hsiuyabsdybasdhasbdhsabdhj!!'' response from mogi there. i've listened to the record multiple times, i'm bored stiff of it and i've got a very open ear for music.

Which bands? I'm not being a dick or anything, I am genuinely interested :p For me the only other good band still created good stuff from the UK apart from Radiohead is InMe. Granted, they are tiny, in comparison to Radiohead though and I do think they deserve to be much bigger.

you're ear to the ground of the uk scene is pretty blocked then if you think inme are the closest thing to be anything notable these last few years. give talon's hollow realm a spin.

Well to be fair, Radiohead deserve to have the acclaim they have, because in most musical circles, they have created consistently brilliant albums and their live performances have always blown everyone away. They played the Reading/Leeds festival not two years ago, a bunch of my friends went who aren't even Radiohead fans, and they all said they were hands down, the best act of the festival. Not to mention with their first album contained 'Creep', they were dubbed as the 'Creep band' for a very long time, and seen as mere one hit wonders, they ignored all that and went to work to create The Bends, which basically shut everyone up. Not to mention they created OK Computer after that, which for yearsssss in polls in various areas, its regarded as the greatest album ever made.

So you know, credit where credit's due :p But even despite all this, Radiohead don't steal all the attention, I mean during the OK Computer period, they were seen as the biggest band on the planet, but that is simply not the case anymore. They have a very specific, you could say, fanbase, for instance most people have heard of Radiohead, but most of those people wouldn't call themselves a fan, but at the same time, MANY, will turn up for their gigs. They are like Tool in that respect really.

how they are accepted in the press and media, or from peoples expectations of them live, aren't in anyway going to factor in my decision to enjoy them or not enjoy them, though. granted, i think i would love them live in the same way that i wouldn't shake a stick at watching lady gaga live, because i genuinelly enjoy a good live band, i just think radiohead are pretty droll at best.

Radiohead's post-milennial output is some of the finest pop music available these days.
They aren't too bad, they just don't do much for me, personally. I don't feel anything when I listen to it; I don't enjoy it. I think the singer is obnoxious even. However, I did really like "the creep song".

People are judging the record based on their own expectations rather then on how the music actually sounds
It's obvious Stemot that you haven't even really listened to it with an open ear.
Actually, I suspect you haven't listened to a lot of different music in your life, Mogi. I've only heard one track from the new album, but The Lotus Flower is horrible. If this is "the best pop available", please kill me now. What do you think of The Radio Dept (youtube), for example?

Really? I don't think they were. They were considered a pretty damn good UK band but planet? Nah. OK Computer didn't even break top 20 in a lot of countries.

The only countries it didn’t were the US (coming 21st which for a UK band that most the states didn’t know about at the time, is an amazing feat in itself), Germany, Switzerland and Spain. Everywhere else in the world pinged it into the top 10, never mind the top 20s. Top Hollywood actors were reserving their tickets to see them live, from Madonna to Tom Cruise, it is widely accepted as a landmark album of the 1990s, practically influencing the entirety of the UKs, and indeed a lot of other countries’, alternative rock scene from 2000 onwards. Huge bands like Muse now, would never got anywhere in the first place if they hadn’t essentially copied their sound at first.

I am entitled to give my views on them
I don't like Robbie Williams for example, hate the bloke with a passion but some of his earlier solo work was brilliant.

Your argument is invalid.

Oh, I don't. Just youtubed a couple songs after you mentioned em. :>

Shame! Although the prospect of someone from where you are hearing about them was initially farfetched to me haha. And yeh most of their music videos on youtube will be mainly from their first album which is a massive nostalgia album really =P

you're ear to the ground of the uk scene is pretty blocked then if you think inme are the closest thing to be anything notable these last few years. give talon's hollow realm a spin.

I shall give them a go! =)

how they are accepted in the press and media, or from peoples expectations of them live, aren't in anyway going to factor in my decision to enjoy them or not enjoy them, though. granted, i think i would love them live in the same way that i wouldn't shake a stick at watching lady gaga live, because i genuinelly enjoy a good live band, i just think radiohead are pretty droll at best.

I was merely addressing what you said when you were talking about Radiohead taking the acclaim when other UK bands deserve more, I was stating that Radiohead deserve the acclaim they get, they haven’t been a band that were just handed everything on a plate, they have worked very hard, they have tried to do something completely different with all their albums and they have never sold themselves out to some kind of mainstream idea of music. They have always remained true to themselves and always done what they wanted to do, the fact that they have got where they are now while doing that, I think means they deserve an applaud personally.

They aren't too bad, they just don't do much for me, personally. I don't feel anything when I listen to it; I don't enjoy it. I think the singer is obnoxious even. However, I did really like "the creep song".

Actually, I suspect you haven't listened to a lot of different music in your life, Mogi. I've only heard one track from the new album, but The Lotus Flower is horrible. If this is "the best pop available", please kill me now. What do you think of The Radio Dept (youtube), for example?

What, do you want a list of my Itunes? The Radio Dept is a good band, I dig. When it comes to dreampop though, I'd rather just listen to Slowdive or the Cocteau Twins. Are you into Yo La Tengo at all?

I guess the issue here is that it's impossible to objectively rate a band's musical output or compare them to others. I naturally want to say that Radiohead is one of the best bands in music today, and say this and this are the reasons why, and try to prove an argument. It's obviously impossible since music criticism is so subjective.

radiohead are anything but in any way, shape or form a ''difficult'' band to enjoy, yorke's voice is anything but strange and their sound is void of any such depression, or at least that's how i find them personally, but i'd like to chalk all that up to simply having listened to hundreds of other bands or musicians that might tick those boxes that i do enjoy, i just happened to listen to radiohead afterwards as opposed to before, which i presume is going to be the opposite of how people will subject themselves to such a band, considering that radiohead are so in your face all the time with publicity and raving reviews. i don't think that's anyones fault, really, but it's a disappointing when people say 'oh my god radiohead are so weird and unique woooow' when, to me, i can't agree with that. on the contrary, i find them bland, simplistic and unremarkable for musics sake of all. i don't need to write out a ''right'' criticism of the band to not enjoy them, not enjoying them straight-up is reason enough and if people don't like that, jog on.

considering that radiohead are so in your face all the time with publicity and raving reviews.

No. Where are you getting this? Radiohead, especially in the past decade, have released an album suddenly, reviewers rush to rate, their fans go and buy it, and then they tour. And that is the end of it, you don't hear from them again unless you go and see them live. When they played Reading/Leeds around two years ago, they were one of the headline acts, yet when all the publicity for the festival started, they were barely ever mentioned. I bet if you were in that crowd waiting for them to come on, and asked a few random people if they liked Radiohead, most of them would say 'They're alright, I'm just checking them out' or 'I've heard a few songs'.

They are not a huge band anymore, by any stretch of the imagination, but to be honest, I think they prefer that.

I was going to make a smartass remark about your taste in music, Knut, but then I remembered that you posted in my shoegaze thread that you went to the 10 year ATP festival. I have nothing bad to say good sir.

No. Where are you getting this? Radiohead, especially in the past decade, have released an album suddenly, reviewers rush to rate, their fans go and buy it, and then they tour. And that is the end of it, you don't hear from them again unless you go and see them live. When they played Reading/Leeds around two years ago, they were one of the headline acts, yet when all the publicity for the festival started, they were barely ever mentioned. I bet if you were in that crowd waiting for them to come on, and asked a few random people if they liked Radiohead, most of them would say 'They're alright, I'm just checking them out' or 'I've heard a few songs'.

that's... just what i'm talking about and nothing more. headline slots and big press published reviews. i'm not against it in any sense of the word, but it's elevated the band to a position where they are the 'thing' to like if you want something that's a bit different from the usual crop of alternative rock. and they excel at that, don't get me wrong - i just think it's barely scratching the surface of what else is out there. their acclaim is easy to comprehend and accept, i just wish people wouldn't often talk of them as if they are the only people doing it.

My review of the album, on a per-listen basis:

1) ... uh, wow. I mean it's still better than Pablo Honey, but this might even be worse than The Bends. Also, Feral is crap.
2) I still don't like Lotus Flower, but Bloom is good. Little By Little is cool too. Feral is not. Why does everyone love Codex?
3) Okay, I'm digging Bloom and Morning Mr Magpie, but its chorus brings it way down. Feral is getting stuck in my head.
4) Bloom and Little By Little keeps getting stuck in my head. Codex sounds nice. Give Up The Ghost is just annoying though.
5) Feral is starting to creep me out.
6) Feral is now my favourite song on the album.
7) I now like Lotus Flower and Give Up The Ghost.
8) I like every song on the album. Morning Mr Magpie's bass is kind of badass. I think it's better than In Rainbows, Hail To The Thief, and possibly even Amnesiac.

Also, knut, I think you should give the album another chance. By shutting out Radiohead because they're popular, you're no better than people who shut out, say, Mastodon, for not knowing who they are, or for them being metal.

[edit] This album really grows on you. The only songs I don't outright love now are Morning Mr Magpie and Separator.

that's... just what i'm talking about and nothing more. headline slots and big press published reviews. i'm not against it in any sense of the word, but it's elevated the band to a position where they are the 'thing' to like if you want something that's a bit different from the usual crop of alternative rock. and they excel at that, don't get me wrong - i just think it's barely scratching the surface of what else is out there. their acclaim is easy to comprehend and accept, i just wish people wouldn't often talk of them as if they are the only people doing it.

Well I for one at least, have never suggested Radiohead are the only band doing something different, only that they are one of the best at it.

And yeah I agree completely stigmata, when you first hear the album its almost deflating (well for me it just completely ****ed with my head), but the album just compels you to listen again, and again, and again, and slowly the music starts connecting with you and you start getting it, and eventually, you love the album. Well that was how it worked for me, I have played through that album close to 15 times since it came out now, and I think its excellent. I still rate previous albums better, including In Rainbows, but I think this one stands up for itself.

I really look forward to hearing the second part of the album and of course, to hearing these songs live! :D I mean whether or not previous albums are better etc, their live shows are ALWAYS amazing.

Also, knut, I think you should give the album another chance. By shutting out Radiohead because they're popular, you're no better than people who shut out, say, Mastodon, for not knowing who they are, or for them being metal.

but i'm not shutting them out because they are popular. i listen to the music first and foremost, and i don't find it anything special. i'll keep giving it another chance in the same way that i always revisit ok computer and hail to the thief another chance every couple of months for the last seven or eight years, but don't assume that because they are popular is the reason i dislike them. it gives my opinion a jaded edge, sure, but my favourite band is likely ISIS, and they hold a similar sort of foothold that radiohead do atop the charts of their genre, except they do it for experimental metal. the only difference is i like what they do, and radiohead ****ing bore the **** out of me.

Fair enough, I didn't realise you still give their older albums new chances. I have the corresponding feeling about Isis as well :p

Back