Rattling sound from PC every few minutes

Unfocused

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Since yesterday I started hearing a rattling sound coming from the PC every few minutes, lasting for 1-3 seconds each time. I tried to figure out where exactly it's coming from but I've been unable to determine this. Nothing is overheating and the PC is failry new (~4 months).

Any ideas how I could diagnose the source of the rattle?

How harmful would cutting power to he HDD be, while the PC's running (apart from it probably crashing)? I thought about doing this next time I hear the rattle, to see if the HDD is the source (thought the fact that the rattle is short might be a problem here). Next step I guess would be turning off the case fan for a few minutes - I assume that would be fine, as long as it's just for a few minutes and I keep the case open?

I'll try and see if I can record the sound.

EDIT: Here it is: http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/119834/rattle D: at 00:33 and 00:35 (and a less distinct at ~00:42)

Do not plug in or unplug anything while the PC is running. That's just damn foolish.

If you want to see if it's one of the hard drives, just run the PC with them disconnected.

Open your case listen closely to hear what is making the sound. Given the frequency of occurrence it shouldn't take long to pin-point.

Probably not the drives. That's more of an occasional 'clicking' sound happening especially when moving large files, loading games, etc. Probably a fan issue. Commonly one's motor fails or bearing gets ****ed up after a while.

It could very well be a hard drive, they can make loud clicking sounds. Its a really bad sign if it is a HDD though, back up your data ASAP if it is. And yes, cutting power while your computer is on is really bad for your hard drive, and if its already in a bad state it will just exacerbate it. Even if its not a bad hdd, cutting power can damage sectors on a healthy drive.

If you want to test whether it's the HDD, you could disconnect the power to them before starting up the thing. Hard drive death-rattles are pretty distinct though. My bet is that it's fan-related. Perhaps a bearing on a (hopefully case) fan.

Alright, I think I'll try turning the PC on with the HDD unplugged then. Here's hoping it is the case fan.

BTW, you can hear the sound here (uploaded to some random account taken off bugmenot.com) - http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/119834/rattle D: at 00:33 and 00:35 (and a less distinct at ~00:42).

(You can also listen to me doing stuff on the PC for a minute if you wish. ;P)

WHAT THE FLIPPING F*CK!!!! Do you have goddamn spoons in your case or what?! That's definitely something mechanical. The good news is that's not the HDD death rattle, the bad news is I'm wigging the **** out that a computer could make that noise. Check to make sure there's nothing in the way of any of your fans, maybe?

Umm, apart from the rattle (which occurs at the time I mentioned) the audio file contains sounds of whatever I was doing during the time I was recording, waiting for the rattle - such as clicking with my mouse, stirring my tea and eating something. I just couldn't bother to edit the audio file and told you at which moments the sound occurs (00:33 and 00:35).

lol

I listened to it without reading too and was like "DA FUK?!" when I heard spoons. Gave me a good laugh. As for the actual sound, its not a typical one. Do you happen to have a floppy drive or something?

If not, I'd definitely test it by removing one disk drive at a time. Start with your optical drives maybe? Hmm, do you a disk inserted into one by any chance?

Okay now I feel dumb, lol. But yeah, still don't think it's The HDD Noise.

Back