Recommendations on keyboards?

Gargantou

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Hey guys, looking to finally replace my old Dell keyboard from 2003 with a good one!

I am looking for recommendations on brands and specific models. I'm looking to spend between 50 to 90 Euros.

The thing that matters the most to be is decent 'backlight' for the keys so that they are visible well in the dark and preferably decent anti-ghosting capability!

Thanks for any helpful recommendations/input!

I'm not really in a position to recommend as I only have a $5 keyboard from newegg. (which is actually quite a good keyboard)
But if I were to buy a new keyboard I would get the Logitech Illuminated that Shaker has. That or the Logitech G11.

Thanks for the tips!

After some discussion with friends on IRC and decided to go for the SteelSeries 6GV2, a no-bullshit mechanical P/S2 keyboard.

I thought PS2 keyboards had a lot of problems with ghosting...

I thought PS2 keyboards had a lot of problems with ghosting...
Nope, to quote the explanation from the product description for the keyboard:

"The 6Gv2 is built with a USB as standard, but we also included a USB to PS/2 adapter in the box. The choice is yours.

We absolutely recommend using the PS/2 connector when possible. First,it will give you total freedom with no limit to the amount of simultaneous key presses. And, equally as important, using the PS/2 may just improve your overall gaming experience. The reason is that when you use a USB keyboard your computer is actually using CPU time polling your keyboard. The higher the polling rate the more CPU time is used to perform the polling. And because of the built-in debounce rate found on any quality keyboard, any polling rate above 200Hz is simply a waste of CPU time and really just a result of pointless marketing hype. Unlike USB keyboards a PS/2 keyboard isn’t polled at all. The keyboard simply sends a signal to the computer as key presses are made, which causes a hardware interrupt, forcing the CPU to register the signal."

The problem of ghosting is also partly explained on this page: http://www.microsoft.com/appliedsciences/AntiGhostingExplained.mspx

But, the main reason I went with the SteelSeries 6Gv2 was that it's mechanical and has a no-bullshit layout with all the standard keys, no annoying altering of the key spacing to fit in macro keys and extra function keys.

I guess I'll jump into the Logitech illuminated bandwagon as well. I just love look an feel of the thing. Although apparently shift + space + w doesn't work so you cant sprint and jump forward in some games. But I've never really ran into that problem.

I'd get that Razer Star Wars keyboard, nerds true dream (though it's like 200€).

I got the keyboard today, really happy with it so far.

It's not a flashy keyboard but highly functional, the mechanical switches/keys feel very nice and I like the fact that I can press every single key at the same time on the keyboard and have them all register.

My only annoyance is that they've changed the placement of the ' key which will take some getting used to for me and the fact that because it's a Nordic layout rather than Swedish my ÅÄÖ keys have three different symbols on them which looks kinda ugly.

Back