Remember no russian. (MW2 Spoiler warning)

That is my video :) Check the url's, they are the same.

And how was I supposed to know one username from another? Not everyone can see the IPs behind usernames, or uses the same username for everything! (like me)

Turned out almost exactly how I imagined though, so maybe psychic powers do exist ;)

And how was I supposed to know one username from another? Not everyone can see the IPs behind usernames, or uses the same username for everything! (like me)

What does the username have to do with it? He posted his video here on hl2.net, which has a video code. You posted the exact same video code, which you could have easily checked just by quoting his post or even just clicking on his video and seeing the page.

What I don't get is the earlier comments in this thread saying it was "badass" and "amazing". It was walking through an airport killing unarmed civilians with a machine gun. That's the opposite of badass. That's pansy stuff. This doesn't make me want to buy the game, but that's okay because I had no desire to in the first place.

You're supposed to be upset and chilled and horrified, of course – so on that level it succeeds. But if you must directly evoke the Mumbai massacre, it's probably best to do so with good reason. Since the rest of the game is effectively a dumb Tom Clancy romp (full of characters who say things like "I'll see you in hell"), it feels jarringly misplaced, like a cartoonish Bond movie containing a 20-minute scene in which Blofeld tortures his cat to death. Ultimately it's only there to make the game's main villain seem more "villainy". Not good enough.
Ch-ch-ch Charlie Brooker.

One of the dumbest and most cynical plot devices I've seen. About as 'mature' as Uwe Boll. I'm all for absolute freedom of expression, but in the long run this type of sequence runs the risk of provoking a huge emotional backlash, which could hamstring devs down the line. If you're going to toy with this kind of stuff, IW, don't do it so pointlessly or stupidly.

So skip it if you don't condone it, they don't force you to play it.

Except the fact that you can skip it doesn't do much to help the justification that 'it's essential to the storyline'.

Except the fact that you can skip it doesn't do much to help the justification that 'it's essential to the storyline'.

except it being the whole reason for:-

Russia invading the US

Pretty much makes it essential, don't you think?

So why can you skip it? Unless IW are too cowardly to make it an obligatory part of the game, since they know deep down that it's just a bit of crass insensitivity which can't stand on its own artistic merit, due to the retarded plot holes that others have already pointed out.

You can't have your cake and eat it; either it's an emotionally and intellectually challenging bit of plot, in which case the plot needs to be able to stand up to scrutiny, or it's just a bit of gratuitous and shallow farting around for the sake of fun, in which case it shouldn't be dressed up in a bunch of creative or political pretensions.

What does the username have to do with it? He posted his video here on hl2.net, which has a video code. You posted the exact same video code, which you could have easily checked just by quoting his post or even just clicking on his video and seeing the page.

Found it manually on Youtube, didn't refresh this page. There.

So why can you skip it?

you can skip it because some people are hypocrites and take issue with killing people in a video game...it's fine when they simulate killing everyone else because they are soldiers and must deserve it.

either it's an emotionally and intellectually challenging bit of plot, in which case the plot needs to be able to stand up to scrutiny, or it's just a bit of gratuitous and shallow farting around for the sake of fun, in which case it shouldn't be dressed up in a bunch of creative or political pretensions.

if it wasn't a playable sequence you wouldn't say this, so what is the complaint? are you really concerned with the violence?

you can skip it because some people are hypocrites and take issue with killing people in a video game...it's fine when they simulate killing everyone else because they are soldiers and must deserve it.
Usually with killing soldiers/whoever in a game, there's enough of a set up to justify the killing within the logic of the game world - for example, 'it's you or them', 'your country's at war', whatever. That's different to just plonking a gun in the player's hands and saying 'NOW DO A MASSACRE OR U LOSE!', which is what this level amounts to considering the flimsiness of the plot.

The wording of the content warning (as revealed in Digi's link) further convinces me that it was plain cowardice which caused IW to make the level optional. 'OK if you want to play the level that everyone's talking about then promise not to be offended first LOL.'
if it wasn't a playable sequence you wouldn't say this, so what is the complaint? are you really concerned with the violence?
Games are almost entirely defined by what sequences are playable in them, so obviously if it wasn't playable it would change everything.

My complaint is how baldly exploitative it is. It pisses me off when people set out to be edgy yet don't have the brains to justify it nor the guts to follow it through properly. IW have set out to shock with the 'Mumbai - The Level' premise, but they haven't been able to come up with a background story that can make me look beyond the dollar signs in their eyes. They've also sanitised the subject matter and pulled their punches; no children, elderly or disabled people in the airport, no need for the player to play the level at all, and of course not setting it anywhere that would cause them to get shouted at too hard. Honestly, if I was Russian I think I'd feel slightly dehumanised knowing that IW can create a level where you massacre Russian civvies, but they probably wouldn't be able to get away with the same level set in America.

Incidentally, it's been said that some of the levels have civillians in other than the airport. Are the missions
set on US soil
among these? That would undo some of the criticism that somehow making it a Russian airport is a controversy cop-out.

Personally I don't see how it would. Unless the goal of those levels is to slaughter US civs then it's a different concept. Otherwise it would just be incidental, like casually popping scientists in HL.

Incidentally, it's been said that some of the levels have civillians in other than the airport. Are the missions
set on US soil
among these? That would undo some of the criticism that somehow making it a Russian airport is a controversy cop-out.

There are some civvies in Rio, but there are none in the...

...the USA. Which is odd because about 25% of the game takes place in the American suburbs.

I guess killing foreigners by the boatload is fine and dandy but having fellow American civilians as casualties is a no-no.

Laivasse you are spot on with all your criticisms. No Russian had the potential to be an incredibly powerful scene but IW ****ed up hard.

I haven't played MW2, so you can decide what my opinion's worth. But from what I've seen - and particularly after watching that airport sequence - I don't see how anybody could be gushing over Infinity Ward's supposed narrative excellence.

But Laivasse it's an international airport - some of the civilians are probably american after all!

Edit: wait, yankees don't have passports, and if they did they wouldn't visit the former USSR. nvm.

Plus a real American hero wouldn't have stood for being shot up by no russkie. May as well try to take on a dozen John McClanes.

Ok after playing the airport scene for myself I can understand some of the complaints for this but I personally seen the scene as nothing overly controversial and the games industry has certainly done worse before. I felt it was an effective means to portray an evil psychotic antagonist very well and provided the context for the actions of the later missions. For me the question of violence was more for how tolerable you are towards the portrayal of violence in the media and I just feel this thing has been blown out of porportion by the right wing press.

I will admit that the idea of keeping your cover for this doesn't make 100% sense to me when we are just told we have to just because. Makarov is the objective so why couldn't the guy just kill him? Then again I still haven't finished it though.

It would've been fine if you played as a civilian ... or hell, even a terrorist. But the whole undercover CIA thing was just retarded, especially considering how loosely it was established. Seriously, some random private fighting in Afghanistan is recruited by the CIA and placed deep undercover with a Russian ultra-nationalist terrorist group in a very short amount of time ... the stupidity is astounding. On top of that the purpose was never established and it was clear that Makarov's intentions were to blame this on the Americans, yet they went along with it anyway.

Spoilers for the ending:
Now, I get that Shepherd was trying to **** his whole operation up to start a war and ... create patriots. That apparently explains all the nonsensical bullshit they used to justify this scene.

And the Russian invasion? Holy shit that made no sense. They stole some magic device that apparently disabled ALL US defenses and then just popped on over. Really?

That is seriously so ****ing stupid. Like ... Metal Gear ridiculous.

And what about all the other stupidity in this game? Racing a snowmobile down a mountain while shooting hordes of Russians (many also on snowmobiles) with a fully-automatic glock? Dual-wielding uzis? ****ing Indiana Jones style airboat races down waterfalls?

This is not "modern warfare." CoD4 was so much better...

You realize that the Glock18c is a real gun though right?

hat is seriously so ****ing stupid. Like ... Metal Gear ridiculous.

And what about all the other stupidity in this game? Racing a snowmobile down a mountain while shooting hordes of Russians (many also on snowmobiles) with a fully-automatic glock? Dual-wielding uzis? ****ing Indiana Jones style airboat races down waterfalls?

This is not "modern warfare." CoD4 was so much better...

You do realise that the game is essentially supposed to be a big budget, over the top action flick don't you?

You do realise that the game is essentially supposed to be a big budget, over the top action flick don't you?

Nowai! CoD4 was the most realistic military shooter evar!! So much bettah then arcadey MW2!!:LOL:

Hans Zimmer doing the soundtrack should have given the whole "not at all realistic" thing away. The game might as well end with "Directed by Michael Bay"

Hans Zimmer doing the soundtrack should have given the whole "not at all realistic" thing away. The game might as well end with "Directed by Michael Bay"

Exactly. That's why I mock his whining of unrealistic snow mobile pursuits.

All of the other CoD's have been fairly serious military shooters with occasional dramatic scenes. All in all they've featured historically accurate or at least believable overarching storylines.

MW2 didn't. It was stupid and ridiculous. Seriously, don't be silly and pretend you don't realize this.

All of the other CoD's have been fairly serious military shooters with occasional dramatic scenes. All in all they've featured historically accurate or at least believable overarching storylines.

MW2 didn't. It was stupid and ridiculous. Seriously, don't be silly and pretend you don't realize this.

Did you even play the first MW to the end? The last level? With the crashing Jeeps, exploding gas trucks and bridge shootout. You didn't think that was over the top? The sequel does nothing that the end of the original didn't do. The MW games are going for a different type experience. The original CoD games had to try to be at least a little authentic to the actual battles. MW's story and level ideas are not restricted by this. To say that the sequel is silly to MGS proportions is ridiculous. There is nothing paranormal, it's all grounded in reality with a massive amount of over the top action. Which is no bad thing. You want reality go play Arma.

The game might as well end with "Directed by Michael Bay"

Yet here you all are, applauding this very fact. Not that I'm arguing for a case of realism; simply that this game is a testament to what is so very wrong.

Back