Research and Development Released

BlueWolf72

Tank
Reaction score
Research and Development is a puzzle-centric mod for Half-Life 2: Episode Two featuring an unarmed player but plenty of violent mayhem.

Info
Download

I honestly enjoyed this and so will you!

best half-life 2 mod so far

Could the description on the mod info page be any vaguer?
Eh, I'll download it for shits.

I played it yesterday.

It is a great mod. Definitely ranks at the top of them.
Innovative use of puzzles, good level design and lot's of awesome moments.

I recommend that everyone try it.

I got this confused with Science and Industry...

^ me too, but it looks good, I'll throw it in the mods-to-play pile

Damnit, I was going to post that the name reminded me of Science and Industry, and then everyone would be quoting ME.

MEEEEEEEE

Valve needs to hire this guy. (and yes, I'm serious).

How the **** am i supposed to accurately push the numbered buttons? I know which ones I need to push but it keeps picking the wrong buttons when i try to hit them.

set "crosshair" to "1"

How the **** am i supposed to accurately push the numbered buttons? I know which ones I need to push but it keeps picking the wrong buttons when i try to hit them.

get closer / aim better

This is the best singleplayer mod for Source I have played (sorry Minerva fanboys). I'm only halfway through and it's been a wonderful experience - refreshing to have to actually think about puzzles, and reminiscent of the original HL in some ways, both due to the focus on puzzles and all the science-y stuff around. The guy who designed and made this kicks some serious ass and I would give him $5 if he provided me a way to.

get closer / aim better

This is the best singleplayer mod for Source I have played (sorry Minerva fanboys). I'm only halfway through and it's been a wonderful experience - refreshing to have to actually think about puzzles, and reminiscent of the original HL in some ways, both due to the focus on puzzles and all the science-y stuff around. The guy who designed and made this kicks some serious ass and I would give him $5 if he provided me a way to.

He asked that I handle all his donations, PayPal the green to [email protected], I'll make sure he gets it.

Wow, this game has a lot of praise. I'll take it that it's good considering I'm seeing repeated comments such as "best mod I've ever played."

However for me it's the buggiest mod I've ever played. Every single map I've loaded I get bright purple textures. This is a problem that usually goes away by simply alt-tabbing, turning off HDR/Bloom or reloading the map. In this case though it doesn't work and it's on EVERY MAP. I also get static flames and HDR so bright I'm almost blind.

1) Specs?
2) Running the patched release (a few days after original release he updated the download on moddb)?
3) Definitely installed properly?

1. Enough to run Lost Coast and Episode 2 with ease.
2. Yes
3. I'll try reinstalling again.

If a reinstall doesn't fix it I'm not sure what the hell the issue could be. Purple textures mean missing materials, which would lead me to believe the install didn't go properly, but if that's not the case then I'm pretty stumped.

I was always under the impression when people over clock video cards to far, or have their settings to high this happens?

Must say that this mod is a lot of fun, using very good visual clues and hints as well as making puzzles that vary and make the mod enjoyable all the time.

Is the fuse puzzle in Aerial Bombardment fixed? because the fuses have such large bounding boxes it is impossible not to hit the electrical cable with them.

I don't know what part that's at, but it must be. I've already completed it.

Is the fuse puzzle in Aerial Bombardment fixed? because the fuses have such large bounding boxes it is impossible not to hit the electrical cable with them.

I had a problem with this too, but if you stand further back and move the fuses around it is much much easier. If you stand too close they kind of glitch out and hit the walls very easily.

I had trouble there but it wasn't that hard, just took me maybe 3 tries. Get to about the maximum distance away from the box you can be and still use the E pickup to hold the fuse rather than the gravity gun, it's definitely doable.

This reminded me of What's in the Box? What's in the Box? as they both involve powerful, mysterious cubes of about the same size. R&D's version involves more microwaving though. I assume the cube is full of frozen fishsticks.

Yeah.
WITB ripped HalfLife almost exclusively and I have yet to see him recognize the usage of HalfLife sounds...

I loved the cutscenes, I've never seen them in a mod before.

Wow. Really good. Hope it gets the attention it deserves, which is at least as much as Minerva.

could have been more helpful then that....

i even redownloaded and installed it again.

nvm fixed it by validatin ep2 files. now im stuck on this crane puzzle......

edit: idk whats up but i am completely stumped. i see no solution or im missing something here.

Back