Review of left 4 dead 2 played at Comic con 2009

JCLFJanet

Reaction score
So I went to comic con this year and got to play the demo of Left 4 Dead 2. It was three parts of the "Swamp Fever" map, but it was chalked with their content to show it off. Now I know that a lot of things will be changed before the release, but here's a basic run-down of what I saw so far.

****WARNING- IF YOU DON'T WANT ANY INFORMATION SPOILED FOR YOU, DON'T READ!!!! I'M NOT GONNA BE RESPONSIBLE FOR WHINERS CLAIMING I RUINED THE SURPRISE FOR THEM! SERIOUSLY, DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW!**********

The Good:

- More weapons. Of corse we heard that there's gonna be more weapons, and Valve has so far delivered, HOWEVER, I still think that there could be a bit more. For the first tier weapon, you once again only have the choice between an SMG and a pump-shotgun. The second tier weapons is where it gets interesting.
The first one I picked up was the new and improved hunting rifle. It has a bit higher rate of fire as the old one, making it actually usable in most situations- I took down a tank almost single-handedly, without any misses, and without taking any damage. The new hunting rifle also has a bigger clip (25 as opposed to 10 with the old one).
The next weapon I picked up was (yes, it's official) an AK-47. It felt and fired pretty much like the M-16 in the old game, but a little slower on the re-load and only 40 rounds a clip. Allegedly the AK has more damage power, but I didn't notice a difference between the second assault rifle.
The second assault rifle, the FN SCAR. I liked this one better than the AK because it seemed to dole out the same damage as the AK, but with a larger clip AND faster reload time.
The next weapon I used was a grenade launcher. It was BADASS for taking out incoming hordes, but it is sucky because you WILL do a lot of damage to your teammates if you're not careful. I used this for like a minute before switching back to the assault rifle.
There was only one model of auto-shotgun, which was a little disappointing. Since there were 2 assault rifles, I thought there would be 2 auto-shotty's, but oh well. It's a SPAS-12 and it's pretty nice. A lot like the auto-shotty in the first game.

-Less of an ability to camp- While I will not be one to claim that I have never camped, Left 4 dead 2 (well, swamp fever, at least) seems like there is a smaller ability for survivors to camp or huddle in a corner, which will make the game more challenging/fun AS WELL as serve as an advantage for versus mode. I'm sure ALL of us has played on versus as SI in the generator room of No Mercy while the survivors all huddle in the corner and melee spam. It's annoying and a large disadvantage to playing as a special infected. In Left 4 Dead 2, mini-crescendos happen in more open areas, decreasing the ability for survivors to crouch in a corner and come out completely unharmed EVERY time.

-The AI director 2- It rocks. Period. I played Left 4 dead 2 the first time, and came back the second time for a completely different experience. The AID2 is not COMPLETELY done yet, but I already liked what I saw. The second time I was kicking ass, so a bridge suddenly collapsed under me and sent me into the water straight into a batch of zombies. Brilliant. I think it'll also serve as just desserts to those we've all come across on campaign mode- the people who are doing very well while you might not be doing so great, and they REFUSE to give you pills or first aid. Just hang back and watch them plummet to their doom! Muwahahahaha! According to the valve people at the event, the AID 2 is gonna be able to not only throw in surprises like bridge collapses and swamp changes, but it'll also be able to change the weather, and actual physical layout of the map!

The bad:

-The characters are stereotypes, but not funny ones: I know that Bill was a funny vietnam vet stereotype, and Francis was seemingly an a-typical tough-guy biker, but they seemed deeper (they both seemed caring for the other survivors, and Bill and Francis had the HILLARIOUS banter between them). The new characters are annoying, kind of offensive stereotypes. Coach will say things like "Ah HELL NAH!" and "We don' need to get in that house" etc. Rochelle will annoyingly shreek things like "I KNOW you did'n jus' shoot me!" I would imagine she was wagging her head back and forth while saying it, while picking at her 4-inch long red finger nails. And Nick is stupid. I think he sells meth, steals from people, and hates puppies. He is a stereotypical slimy dude in a cheap-looking suit. It's not funny, it's annoying. Who wants to be running around trying to survive as well as watching to make sure the drugged out looking dude isn't picking your pockets?

-The melee weapons are way too over-powered. One swipe with an axe took down a charger?!? Really? And the frying pan can also take down two zombies at one time?!? Both of these things happened to me. I mean, I guess it was ok from being a survivor standpoint, but it doesn't seem realistic. And good luck trying to play special infected on versus mode. If someone has an axe, let the smoker take him out, I guess.

-Incindiary ammo can get confusing. It's hard to see through the sea of flamming zombies. If you fire incindiary ammo at an oncoming horde, it can be hard to see in the distance- distant smokers, upcoming boomers, etc.

- The spitter. I hate the name. I find it...disgusting? Sexist? It's just a stupid name. Change it. The end.

-Speaking of the spitter- that would make that NINE special infected in the game now. The boomer, hunter, smoker, tank, charger, mudmen, spitter, witch, AND wandering witch (yes, I'm counting the two witches as two different entities, because there's a rumor that you can encounter both types in one campaign). If you don't count the witch and wandering witch separately, it still makes eight. That's a lot, in my opinion. The point of SI's were supposed to make you stop and adress them before paying attention to the common infected. With ALL of these different special infected to deal with, it really makes it almost too overwhelming and you spend too much time looking for all of the SI and not addressing the horde.

-Unrealistic moments- The charger had a knack of appearing out of thin air, and opening the side door of a downed plane somehow triggered an alarm? Even though the part of the plane the door was attached to was a random broken part of half of the seating area. It wasn't attached to the engine or cockpit so.... I dunno. I would imagine that these bugs will be fixed, but it was annoying at the time.

Overall- All of you boycotters are missing out. I'm buying it! I've gotten WAY more than $60 of enjoyment out of the first one, and I know I will get twice as much enjoyment from this one- even with annoying characters.

P.S. I'm not saying that the boycotters are wrong. Everyone has a right to have their own opinion. If they don't want to play left 4 dead 2, then they don't have to and I'm not gonna judge, but I would imagine that 99% of them will crumble and buy it. :cheers:

yeah the 1st game along I think I threw about 30 hrs into it all together, thats more than the average game these days. Its a definite buy for me

Thank you for the information, that was a very interesting and detailed review you wrote.

They are a uncommon common like the fireproof hazmat zombies. The mudmen are found in the swamp level and walk on all 4 similar to a Hunter making them very hard to see and they throw mud at you.

My thought on it was that the mudmen were un-common common...

Edit: Seems I've been beaten to the point.

They throw mud?
That sounds pathetic.

Well you must remember, the mud apparently slows you down. I better not be taking and damage for that damn pissy thing though. The most i want to see is 3 damage a hit, on expert.

"Dude, how did Coach die?"
"Oh you didn't hear? F**king mudman"

Alot of that campaign is in 2 feet of water, so its hard to see the mudmen when they head towards you, they pop out attacking you in melee, which splatters your screen with mud.

Well you must remember, the mud apparently slows you down. I better not be taking and damage for that damn pissy thing though. The most i want to see is 3 damage a hit, on expert.

"Dude, how did Coach die?"
"Oh you didn't hear? F**king mudman"

I think it's great if you take damage. It stops those pricks who like to run off and leave the team behind. The Mudmen will blind and slow them down. Also it makes you more aware of your surrounding, you will have to keep an eye out for them and rely more on teamwork. If your complain that it should do no more than 3 damage a hit on Expert then perhaps you should stick to easy or normal mode. Expert is meant to be a challenge which currently it's not.

Don't mean to jack this thread...but did you happen to check out the Dexter booth at Comic con?? Guess some of the cast was there, just interested to see if you heard anything (if you even watch the show) about the next season

I beg to differ, I have a pretty hard time on Expert.

After you've played it a few times it becomes too predictable. You know when and where a Tank is going to come and you know the spawn points of the horde. Then again i usually stuck with assholes who like to use every exploit known, so that may be a reason aswell.

I dont understand the mentality behind exploiting, its not like you get a reward for completing the maps, no one is gonna stare in awe at your stats afterwards, all it does is rob you of the fun of doing it properly. The times when me and my friends have failed epicly are the most enjoyable times in the game for me.

I dont understand the mentality behind exploiting, its not like you get a reward for completing the maps, no one is gonna stare in awe at your stats afterwards, all it does is rob you of the fun of doing it properly. The times when me and my friends have failed epicly are the most enjoyable times in the game for me.

I wholeheartedly agree with you and that the reason i've stopped playing Left4Dead altogether. It's to difficult finding a team who won't exploit and will play to have fun.

They throw mud?
That sounds pathetic.

They don't "throw mud" exactly. When they melee attack you mud does sling on your face/screen thus obscuring your visibility. So it is in your best interest to kill those suckers before they are on you. But they crawl around on all fours so they are a bit harder to detect among the other common zombies.

I don't think that sounds pathetic at all.

I think it's great if you take damage. It stops those pricks who like to run off and leave the team behind. The Mudmen will blind and slow them down. Also it makes you more aware of your surrounding, you will have to keep an eye out for them and rely more on teamwork. If your complain that it should do no more than 3 damage a hit on Expert then perhaps you should stick to easy or normal mode. Expert is meant to be a challenge which currently it's not.

I laughed so hard. Because that's exactly what I do sometimes; rush through :D "I'M NOT GONNA LET THOSE MUD FREAKS STOP ME!" - quoting Francis.

Back