Risk Legacy is cool

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
Risk Legacy is a variation of Risk that's designed for you to sit down with a group of friends and play a series of games. Each game permanently alters the board for future games. Players can found cities, name continent (that gives them a bonus when they control that entire continent), build bunkers, tear up territory cards and other stuff. As a result at the end you have a very personalised board different from any other in the world. Each army also has special stats. Mine was the ability to maneuverbetween unconnected territories. The rules also change as the game progresses. There are envelopes that you are only to open when certain requirements are met, adding new twists to the game. We haven't opened any yet.

First game was tonight. I had the Saharan Republic (gold) so I figured it was fitting to start my HQ in North Africa (you only start with one territory which you must expand out of). The other lads started red in Scandinavia, green Eastern United States, purple Western Australia (to try and take Australia easily) and grey in Southeast Asia (to quickly try to crush the player purple in Australia).

Most of us expanded quickly into our starting continents, except for Grey who expended all his manpower trying to wipe out Purple. I attacked into Spain to prevent Red from having the advantage of having the entire continent of Europe. I also put one man in Brazil to start trying to take South America. Red ended up counterattacking into Africa and taking my HQ away from me (if anyone was able to take two enemy HQs they would win). Luckily Green was finished expanding into North America and attacked Red with a strong force into Iceland, taking the pressure off me. Red built a bunker to defend Iceland but it still fell.

After kicking Red back out of Africa I had a turn where I could focus on reenforcement and expansion and took over the rest of South America. Green was quite silly to allow me to do it but I wasn't complaining. Red and Green continued their struggle and Red forced Green out of Iceland (Red and I had agreed to a cease fire so he left his south side very vulnerable). Purple and Grey had spent the entire game locked in battle with each other the entire time and were extremely weak. Green had started expanding into Asia just before Red broke into North America but it was too late for everyone.

To win I needed to take two enemy HQs. Purple and Grey were extremely weak from their constant fighting over a small area with the only territory not having only one man still only having four. With eight re-enforcements on top of my troops in the Middle East I was able to spear across southern Asia all the way to Australia. My last man going up against the last defender with one roll of the die. I won it, claiming a third HQ which won me the game. For my victory I was able to chose a number of possible prizes. I chose to name a continent, Africa considering it was the one I started with. That means in future games I will also get one bonus troop a turn extra if I hold Africa. All the other players founded a new city. This was the board at the end:

sfTzuA3.jpg

Also note Green lost his HQ before the game even started and as such his capital is a bottle cap. It turned out to be quite a short game due to a lot of luck on my behalf. A lot of Asia was never even taken by anyone.

Back