Rock, Paper, Shotgun interview Erik Wolpaw

Evo

Tank
Reaction score
Rock, Paper, Shotgun have a brilliant interview with the writer of Portal and Psychonauts here where Erik Wolpaw talks about his early days in the game industry, working for Valve, Portal and much more![br]
Also, there is cake. Why?s that?[br]Well, there are lots of message games coming out now. Like they?ve got something really important to get off their chest about the war in Iraq or the player is forced to make some dicey underwater moral choices. Really, just a whole heck of a lot of stuff to think about. With that in mind, at the beginning of the Portal development process, we sat down as a group to decide what philosopher or school of philosophy our game would be based on. That was followed by about fifteen minutes of silence and then someone mentioned that a lot of people like cake.
[br]Fancy some Cake?

Eric said:
Oh man, Tim is great and also everyone else at Double Fine is great, including everyone who was responsible for the f’ing Meat Circus.
Ha, I completed Psychonauts just last night. Glad to see he HATES the F'ing Meat Circus (tm) bit as much as I did. But yeah, great writing.

That was one of the best interviews i have ever read.

Was the Meat Circus the part where you [just in case:]
climbed the ladder and had to keep from drowning, etc?

While that last answer was hilarious, he really dodged a major question that made me really curious what they are being secretive about. Great Interview.

While that last answer was hilarious, he really dodged a major question that made me really curious what they are being secretive about.

probably Gabe's secret love for the PS3 :naughty:

While that last answer was hilarious, he really dodged a major question that made me really curious what they are being secretive about. Great Interview.
The exact same feeling I used to get whenever someone asked Gabe about TF 2; silence.

Valve must be cooking something under the...cake.

P.S: oh boy what a fantastic interview. :D

Well given they kept TF2 under their hats for so long it's a certainty that they will have been putting their love into something else(CS2 at a guess) beyond just EP3.

I read it last night. It was a great interview. The man is clearly crazy, though! :p

The moral choices part maybe was a reference to all games that are trying to put moral choices, regardless of whether they succeed or not. The man is a writer-comedian and there's nothing inherently funny for him to like in moral choices.

The cake bit reminds me of "People aren't wearing enough hats", in regards to the meaning of life.

Back