Roundtable discussion tonight

Munro

ValveTime Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Several members of the dev team at Valve Software will be having a Round Table Discussion on IRC, to discuss the technical aspects of the Source Engine.

Date/Time: Monday, August 4th 6:00pm EST

IRC information: irc.half-lifenews.com Channel #halflife2news

Valve members tentatively arranged for the discussion are:

Ken Birdwell ----- Senior Software Development Engineer
Jay Stelly -------- Senior Software Development Engineer
Yahn Bernier ----- Software Development Engineer
Gary McTaggart -- Software Developer
and Chris Bokitch

If you could ask these people any question what would it be? :)

If you post one I can ask them it for you.

Question: How will flash light work? Will shadows move if you flash it on objects, etc? I mean you know guys who work on Deus Ex 2, so I hope you know how that effect looks like.

How come the soldiers sounds like aliens when they die?

For some reason I cant connect to the server.

I put in
IRC Server: irc.half-lifenews.com
Port: 6660-6667

When I hit connect, I get a connection refused.

Guys, it says 'Technical aspecs of Source'. Not Release dates or why combine sound like aliens.

ya i cant connect to this irc server either... wahts wrong?

-merc

can source handle large forrest areas with alot of foliage, thats somthing im after lol

the server is invitation only (or just being set up for this meeting), as well as the channel. Who isn't invited, doesn't get in.

Originally posted by Adam
For some reason I cant connect to the server.
Use only port 6667, and if you still cannot connect, try irc.pcgnetworks.com (it leads to the same network) :bounce:

Archangel is right, in order to get into the channel you must be invited. You'll be sent a password to use to connect. I'm sure that there will be a log of the chat posted on every major HL2 site, so you may want to hold out for that.

Character Modular Clothes..?

Hi fella's..

My question to you is this...

Given that the characters like Alex or G-Man are around 7000ish poly's, would it be possible to set up character rigs in XSI or Max for modular clothing components?, or basicly swapping out core components of the character such as trousers and shirts allowing for much quiker and diverse characters to be created.? Also, can the specular info in the TGA texture for the character, portray just shinyness on the lips nails and tounge etc..? I couldnt say I spotted this in the E3 vid.!
And just to say, I think you guys are doing an amazing job on HL2,
and I die a little each day in anticipation of the release of whats going to simply be, the biggest selling computer game in human history..

Slap.....

Originally posted by Adam
Guys, it says 'Technical aspecs of Source'. Not Release dates...
Come on, like we all don't want the skinny on the delay rumor!

I have been given access to this chat as I am part of a mod team, i will post the log of it on this site unless Munro or some1 else does it

I thought I read somewhere that people without invites would be able to log in but they wouldn't be able to talk and then at the end, if the Valve guys say it's OK they would open it up and let everyone talk. Or was that a different chat?

yes, that is what it says in the email i got, i dunno, mayb they changed their minds

Invite only?? What the heck? Who determines who can be invited or not? Thats so.... ugh... it just figures. I mean, of all people im not invited. After all the work I did with HL and all the mod teams I've helped, all the people I helped at mapping, and oh boy, now my intelligent questions will be unanwsered! I'd like to see this list of invites. It better be atleast the top coder/mapper/modeler from a broad range of mods, not just mods like Counter-Strike, Day Of Defeat, Svencoop, and Natural-Selection... They already get to talk to Valve like every day.

Arrrgg!! lol

As long as u contacted Valve a few weeks ago and proved that you were in the process of making a mod, they would let you in

Oh sure... tell everyone that now, after the fact...heh
God I love miscommunication!

I find it funny that they didn't even mention the fact that its Invite Only in the first post on this thread. I mean hello, its kinda obvious people will be mislead what with posting the details to connect for all to see and such. "Hi everyone! Valve is comming to my house! I live at 133 Jewed Lane! They will be here at 8:00pm! Hope to see you there!"

(100 replys later...)

"No no no, you all can't come! Only those sent an invite with directions to my house can come!"

:\

If you want to post a question on this thread, I'll ask them for you.

Munro can you save the log and post it afterwards?

Yes. Hopefully the site is up by then and I can do it properly :) If not, a forum thread will have to do.

Invite only ? nah, not for me, I'm in!
Brewskie(an op) said that the meeting will be as long as Valve wants it to be.. (cool)
but HURRY, the userlimit is 200 (55 there right now), if you can't make it there you can watch the conversation live here: http://www.half-lifenews.com/interviews/valve.htm

./me is looking forward to teh conversation :)

Im in there too and ive got some community questions (not just mod questions)

Ill send them to you when im ready with them Munro...so we dont ask the same thing.

Originally posted by Skull
Invite only ? nah, not for me, I'm in!
Brewskie(an op) said that the meeting will be as long as Valve wants it to be.. (cool)
but HURRY, the userlimit is 200 (55 there right now), if you can't make it there you can watch the conversation live here: http://www.half-lifenews.com/interviews/valve.htm

./me is looking forward to teh conversation :)

Thats the wrong channel... :)

Here are my questions !

1. Whenever Gordon switched to his grenade he always pulled
the pin, even if the grenade was not going to be thrown. Will this
be in the final build?

2. Will the bullet shells coming out of guns be affected by the physics?
What about when you reload and you drop the "bullets loader"? Will
that be affected by the physics too?

3. If I hold something with the manipulator, lets say a barrel, up to a
swinging metal beam. Will the beam knock the barrel out of the
manipulator's grip? What would happen?

Thats the wrong channel... :)
what makes you think that ?

edit:
you mean they will move to another channel later to talk...or ?

The chat will take place in #halflife2news you will be able to read it but not talk.

exactly,
Majestic XII, what did you mean by me being in the wrong channel ? :\
well, it's only 5 hours and 9 minutes to go!

1) When changing weapons, why does the first weapon disappear while the second one moves realistically into place? Why isn't there an animation for lowering the weapon? (Or has this been fixed?)

2) Clipping has been an ugly problem since the early days of 3D engines. Did Valve put a priority on reducing or even eliminating clipping with the Source engine? Is the clipping evident in early screen shots and the E3 movies going to make it into the final game? If yes, what would it take to eliminate clipping from 3D games once and for all?

3) What feature of the Source engine are you most proud of and why?

4) What features are exclusive to the Source engine and do you expect these to become standard for all FPS games?

5) How autonomous is the AI?

6) Is the game really delayed? ;)

1. The videos look like you are using shadow volumes for character shadows. Is this correct?

2. If so, how many light sources can be used?

3. Is it possible for a character to drop a shadow when someone near is shooting?

4. If i am correct, the source engine is able to use DX9 shaders. Are you using both vertex and pixel shaders?

5. Is it possible, using current graphics hardware, to apply pixel shaders to every wall / every triangle? How much is it used in source?

6. For "refracted vision", as in kleiners lab you can see docs hand through the magnification glass, do you need more than one rendering pass to accomplish that effect?

Originally posted by Mountain Man

3) What feature of the Source engine are you most proud of and why?

[/B]

I bet you they say the charachter system. I asked before :bounce:

Back