Run Single player maps in multiplayer mode

K

kc2keo

I have been trying to make my mod run HL2 singleplayer maps like d1_trainstation_01 in multiplayer mode for a long time. The game usually crashes with a memory address error. I know offhand that a few mods like garrys mod and some others allow you to play maps like d1_trainstation_01 smoothly. I thought garrys mod allowed you to because they use Lua scripting. It isnt so because some other mods i've tried do not have it and can play singleplayer maps in multiplayer mode. I've made some posts on some other forums about this problem a very long time ago but I did not get any constructive replies. Maybe this is because this is a common problem that has been awnsered a lot of times? If so I do not know what to search for. Maybe i'm asking for too much.

--kc2keo

It depends on the mod you're running.

Entities and entity handling vary by mod. HL2SP maps were obviously made for the restrictions of HL2SP; multiplayer mods may not support the AI and NPCs, or they may crash trying to understand the various cameras and monitors. The first level also has that introductory sequence with the GMan, which multiplayer mods definitely won't like.

To fix up the maps for multiplayer, I would suggest using Entspy to remove all AI, NPCs, and otherwise SP-specific or SP-preferred entities, then adding in multiplayer spawn points.

Back