S.T.A.L.K.E.R : Shadow of Chernobyl Now Available on Steam

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
One of the best FPS this year, Stalker : Shadow of Chernobyl is now available on Steam for $29.95. Offering a unique combination of First-Person Shooter and Survival-Horror action, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl gives gamers unprecedented freedom to explore the devastated exclusion zone that surrounds the Chernobyl power plant following a second apocalyptic explosion.[br]

newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif
[br]
It is now 2012 - man has ventured further and further into the heart of the Zone driven by reports of strange 'artifacts' imbued with anomalous energy. Mercenaries and bounty hunters compete to recover these artifacts, which command extortionate prices on the black market. Others seek to find the truth behind the Zone, while some merely revel in the desolate lawlessness of the place. Whatever their motivation, over time these individuals - Scavengers, Trespassers, Adventurers, Loners, Killer, Explorers and Robbers - have become known as S.T.A.L.K.E.R.s.

Click Here for more info.

Can you register your original cd key? Will float32 mod work with this?

was this game any good? worth buying? I heard it doesn't take to much to run it, true?

its a pretty good game, i stopped playing it tho, ill get back to it sometime ,im too busy playing Warhawk for ps3 now. i wish you could get like a backpack or something in this game to carry more stuff. i am stuck trying to get some documents with a bunch of zombified stalkers around me with no ammo, so i got aggrivated and stopped playing. lol

Man, during good months Steam makes my head explode about twice a week.

was this game any good? worth buying? I heard it doesn't take to much to run it, true?
This game was made of god and win. I *cough* played through all of it on dx8 and it was still one of the most atmospheric games I have ever played (right up there with avp2 as human). I bought it because I had such a blast and because I'm going to play through it again once I build my new computer next week (right after I finish bioshock).

It is a very good game with a pretty active mod community tweaking it constantly for realism, difficulty, immersion, etc. I can't really recommend a good cocktail of the mods atm though, haven't loaded it up in a while. Most of the simple item modifications (like making food and bandages restore or not restore health) is easy enough to set yourself to your liking.

Great atmosphere even with weaker systems, though it is fairly easy untweaked.

I'm surprised this wasn't on steam earlier seeing as it had direct2drive or whatever from the get-go (how I got it)

Patch 1.0004 is available which apparently fixes a lot of the major things that were a pain in the past. If you haven't yet played the game, make quite sure you patch it first, as the original release was a little coarse.

This game is AMAZING. I really love it and recommend it to everyone. The atmosphere is unleveled.

played for 15 minutes, didn't complete the first mission, felt really cumbersome, weapons didn't feel like they had any effect on the world or the NPCs and there was no blending between crouching, lying and standing.

15 minutes is not long enough to judge any game let alone stalker.

15 minutes is not long enough to judge any game let alone stalker.

QFT

It's a big game in terms of terrain and locations, and it's as much about exploring as it is about combat. Truly atmospheric as well. I guarantee you'll shit yourself the first time you encounter a Bloodsucker for sure.;)

One of the best FPS this year, Stalker : Shadow of Chernobyl is now available on Steam for $29.95. Offering a unique combination of First-Person Shooter and Survival-Horror action, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl gives gamers unprecedented freedom to explore the devastated exclusion zone that surrounds the Chernobyl power plant following a second apocalyptic explosion.[br]

newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif
[br]
It is now 2012 - man has ventured further and further into the heart of the Zone driven by reports of strange 'artifacts' imbued with anomalous energy. Mercenaries and bounty hunters compete to recover these artifacts, which command extortionate prices on the black market. Others seek to find the truth behind the Zone, while some merely revel in the desolate lawlessness of the place. Whatever their motivation, over time these individuals - Scavengers, Trespassers, Adventurers, Loners, Killer, Explorers and Robbers - have become known as S.T.A.L.K.E.R.s.

Click Here for more info.
This is made of pure win, nothing more.

No demo still? :eek: Plus I hear it's not so great so I'm gonna pass. I want MOH: Airborne but I would buy too many games then.

No demo still? :eek: Plus I hear it's not so great so I'm gonna pass. I want MOH: Airborne but I would buy too many games then.

If you pass on STALKER and buy Airborne, I'll be forced to kick you in the nuts.

If you pass on STALKER and buy Airborne, I'll be forced to kick you in the nuts.
I'm passing on both actually. I really don't want Halo 2 anymore either comparing it to Bioshock. I really want some kinda of money back or get rid of some of my games at least.

Oh for the love of...

http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=488

Why the hell man? From looking at the list this applies to all THQ published games. Do they not want our money or something? Gah!

That sucks! Thank god Valve aren't like that with their games. I normally buy games from steam because we don't get shafted on release dates and the games are dirt cheap.

I guess they didn't want to sell the game to us for US$30 because of how weak the American dollar is. That's like AU$36 and the game still retails for AU$89 here. God bless the American dollar :thumbs:

Can't be bothered purchasing it unless they give me a demo or some shit. Really, PC gaming's always been badass, since in the past, demos were almost guaranteed before any game (fps's in particular) was relased. Now, i've only got to go on some reviewers take who's probably got a boner for the game.

Really, it seems like consoles have more demos than the PC does. It's so damn retarded.I'll just wait a year till it's 9.99 on the wal-mart cheap-o shelf.

My friend purchased STALKER when it came out and never really enjoyed it. He says he's going to give me his copy for my birthday. Will it still work on Steam what with product codes etc?

Looks like an incredibly lazy port if they haven't bothered to include the official update patch. It fixes SO MANY issues.

For anyone reading, make sure you have the patch installed before you start playing. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was riddled with annoying bugs on release, and if you install the patch after you start playing you'll lose all your save files.

Here are just a few (game breaking) bugs I had:
- Time speeding up to 10x normal speed with no way to stop it (it even got transferred over via Save games)
- The door to the trader breaking permanantly, locking you out so you can't buy any ammo or weapons or bandages or get crucial game missions, stopping you from progressing and forcing you to restart the entire game

I say again, if Valve haven't included the patch as standard this is a POOR, POOR release and piss-poor publishing quality control on Valve's part.

If anyone has gotten this from Steam can you report the version info to calm Crispy?

Looks like an incredibly lazy port if they haven't bothered to include the official update patch. It fixes SO MANY issues.

For anyone reading, make sure you have the patch installed before you start playing. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was riddled with annoying bugs on release, and if you install the patch after you start playing you'll lose all your save files.

Here are just a few (game breaking) bugs I had:
- Time speeding up to 10x normal speed with no way to stop it (it even got transferred over via Save games)
- The door to the trader breaking permanantly, locking you out so you can't buy any ammo or weapons or bandages or get crucial game missions, stopping you from progressing and forcing you to restart the entire game

I say again, if Valve haven't included the patch as standard this is a POOR, POOR release and piss-poor publishing quality control on Valve's part.
That's not Valve's fault though. Valve just sells it and that's it. It's up to the game developer to give the thumbs up and files to Valve so they can put it on their network. What did you expect from a game that was rushed out the door because it was taking too long?

STALKER making it to Steam doesn't make the game any more awesome, you know... What's with all the "omg, win"?

It's a good game, but didn't get any better since available on Steam. :p

That's not Valve's fault though. Valve just sells it and that's it. It's up to the game developer to give the thumbs up and files to Valve so they can put it on their network. What did you expect from a game that was rushed out the door because it was taking too long?
I hold the developer responsible for the bugs on release. I hold Valve responsible for allowing the same unpatched version to go on sale on Steam months after a patch fixing many of the bigger bugs had been released. Hell, I'd even be fine if they made some mention of the fact that "performance will be much improved by downloading the patches available on the developers site" and then gave a link to the site. Even that would be less lazy than "press ENTER to port b0rked game to Steam", without showing any care whatsoever to their customers or game expertise.

Valve have not been forced to distribute Stalker on Steam, it's entirely their decision what they publish digitally for profit. Valve don't distribute games for free, they enter into contracts with the original developers, and as part of those contracts Valve could easily make certain conditions if they know the game will result in far less annoyance for their user/playerbase with a simple update patch. I imagine Valve have some sort of quality control process in place for third-party games on Steam, but since the DosBox GPL issues and now this, it seems unlikely.

I am very interested to see if the patch is included, but there's no mention of it on the sales page or on the Steam forums so far so I doubt it. If anyone can tell whether the game is the patched version or not, I'm sure people would love to know. It's still really odd that no mention is made, though. The first question anyone who got Stalker on release and encountered any of the bugs will ask when they find out it's on Steam is: "Patched or unpatched?". I'm really surprised not one Valve employee managed to bring that to the attention of the people responsible for the Steam port.

I hate that we cannot get the standalone version to Steam, we gotta re-buy the game. Same with Flatout 2, I have it as standalone for PC, and I'd like to get it to Steam, but I can't, unless I will re-buy it.

I like Steam more since it has the GCF/NCF file compression.

If anyone has gotten this from Steam can you report the version info to calm Crispy?

Has a game ever been released through steam by a developer that wasn't the latest version?

I am very interested to see if the patch is included, but there's no mention of it on the sales page or on the Steam forums so far so I doubt it.

I'm pretty sure the publisher would of made certain it was the latest version, it's in their interests to do so. I mean if they've gone to the trouble of making it viable to release through steam it would be a bit short sighted of them not to have included it. Perhaps if your so worried about it you should contact them yourself to find out?

Has a game ever been released through steam by a developer that wasn't the latest version?

I'm pretty sure the publisher would of made certain it was the latest version, it's in their interests to do so. I mean if they've gone to the trouble of making it viable to release through steam it would be a bit short sighted of them not to have included it. Perhaps if your so worried about it you should contact them yourself to find out?

Vampire : Bloodlines, if you count the unofficial patches. :X

Back