S.T.A.L.K.E.R : Shadow of Chernobyl Now Available on Steam

Yeah but, they're essential... considering Troika's long gone and they left a shitty half-assed patch.

But fortunately the game under discussion is Stalker, and as it stands there team is very much alive and kicking, so I'd say it's highly probable that the version on steam is fully patched. :dozey:

But fortunately the game under discussion is Stalker, and as it stands there team is very much alive and kicking, so I'd say it's highly probable that the version on steam is fully patched. :dozey:

I wouldn't doubt it.

I was just challenging your statement about games being fully updated. :D

I wouldn't doubt it.

I was just challenging your statement about games being fully updated. :D

I played through VTM:B with the offical patch back when it first came out with no major problems, certainly the unoffical patches might sort out minor quibbles and add some enhancements, but the game is entirely playable as 1.2 which is how troika left it, and my understanding is that is the version released on Steam by Activision. So I'd say it was fully updated. Still feel free to argue otherwise. :dozey:

I played through VTM:B with the offical patch back when it first came out with no major problems, certainly the unoffical patches might sort out minor quibbles and add some enhancements, but the game is entirely playable as 1.2 which is how troika left it, and my understanding is that is the version released on Steam by Activision. So I'd say it was fully updated. Still feel free to argue otherwise. :dozey:

Nah, no need to derail a news article thread. :p

Just a quick further derailment: is Vampire Bloodlines good/worth the time? I'd forgotten about it and I may pick it up if its worth the money/pirating time.

EDIT:

STALKER making it to Steam doesn't make the game any more awesome, you know... What's with all the "omg, win"?

It's a good game, but didn't get any better since available on Steam. :p

More people buying Stalker is omg, win. Because future games will theoretically be better if they have more money and publisher support. As well, Steam getting money = Valve getting money. Therefore, even if they release Daikatana or Barbie: Sex and Slavery on Steam we should be happy.

Just a quick further derailment: is Vampire Bloodlines good/worth the time? I'd forgotten about it and I may pick it up if its worth the money/pirating time.

EDIT:

More people buying Stalker is omg, win. Because future games will theoretically be better if they have more money and publisher support. As well, Steam getting money = Valve getting money. Therefore, even if they release Daikatana or Barbie: Sex and Slavery on Steam we should be happy.

It's fantastic if you're into dark gothic action RPGs.
It has great graphics, fantastic sound and voice acting, and an excellent story... and one of the creepiest levels that I've ever played in a game.

It's one of my favorite RPGs, and I'm not even a fan of the genre.

Nah, no need to derail a news article thread. :p

like claiming or contending that a Game would be released through Steam that wasn't offically upto date without any shred of evidence to support your stance, including precedent. :dozey:

like claiming or contending that a Game would be released through Steam that wasn't offically upto date without any shred of evidence to support your stance, including precedent. :dozey:

Huh?
I never mentioned anything about STALKER not being up-to-date, it still has developers that are able to update the game.

I just simply stated that Vampire : Bloodlines is an example of a game that's on Steam that is technically outdated, and needs community-made patches to be fully up-to-date.

STALKER was amazing. I played that game for 20 hours.. It was such a great game. In the end, though, It killed my computer. Literally. Sad..

Cool. Pretty good game. I played through it on normal and enjoyed it for the most part. The underground labs are super-creepy which I enjoyed. I will say though that it seemed like it was over a lot quicker than I anticipated it would be. Still, I'd say if you've got the 30 dollars and have an interest to try the game, do it. Just make sure you upgrade it and give it a chance. Someone here was complaining that the "guns didn't seem to have an effect" or something. Well, the game's ballistics model DOES have a pretty steep learning curve, but I think that's because they were going more for realism and more challenging combat rather than run & gun. Once you get something with a scope on it it gets MUCH better.

Cool. Pretty good game. I played through it on normal and enjoyed it for the most part. The underground labs are super-creepy which I enjoyed. I will say though that it seemed like it was over a lot quicker than I anticipated it would be. Still, I'd say if you've got the 30 dollars and have an interest to try the game, do it. Just make sure you upgrade it and give it a chance. Someone here was complaining that the "guns didn't seem to have an effect" or something. Well, the game's ballistics model DOES have a pretty steep learning curve, but I think that's because they were going more for realism and more challenging combat rather than run & gun. Once you get something with a scope on it it gets MUCH better.
The weird thing about Stalker is that it's the only game I've ever played that gets easier as you go on (as you get all the good guns and armour). It almost has an inverse difficulty curve. As long as you can headshot well once you get certain weapons it's just not challenging at all. I found the very early missions much more fulfilling because you knew you could die by not checking round a corner.

P.S. No info on whether this is patched or not?

P.S. No info on whether this is patched or not?

The precedent so far is that games on Steam are up to date in terms of content (it's not like a bug in a normal game gets magically fixed by being bought through steam) so I'd say the game is almost certainly patched. :dozey:

The precedent so far is that games on Steam are up to date in terms of content (it's not like a bug in a normal game gets magically fixed by being bought through steam) so I'd say the game is almost certainly patched. :dozey:
Well I'd disagree with your 'precedent', since Quake on Steam actually lacks the awesome Trent Reznor soundtrack that came with the CD way back when it was on the shelves, so I wouldn't call that up-to-date. However, I will agree that since I can't find any threads referring to a lack of patch or problems with the Steam version it's looking most likely that it's the patched version.

Well I'd disagree with your 'precedent', since Quake on Steam actually lacks the awesome Trent Reznor soundtrack that came with the CD way back when it was on the shelves, so I wouldn't call that up-to-date. However, I will agree that since I can't find any threads referring to a lack of patch or problems with the Steam version it's looking most likely that it's the patched version.

Sleep well tonight then :dozey:

Back