SecureROM

I can't believe they had the audacity to try to pull this off. I wish I'd bought it off of Steam now.

Wow, wtf do you care? They do this because people STEAL GAMES. Im all for this 100% What will this little piece of software do to your computer? NOTHING! All it does is protect the game.

Having protection for the game is OK. Using rootkits is bad and could compromises system security.

Can be removed. I did previously install the regular demo. I don't have all of the rootkit files on my PC probably because I uninstalled the demo. I'm guessing Steam's version doesn't use it? Otherwise all the rootkit files would be back on my system.

Wow, wtf do you care? They do this because people STEAL GAMES. Im all for this 100% What will this little piece of software do to your computer? NOTHING! All it does is protect the game.

It does do something to your computer, it secretly installs a rootkit on your computer, and the only way for a user to find out about it is to use a rootkit detection software. I don't know if you realize this but sony has already been taken to court for this. It's not acceptable and it doesn't affect the pirates at all, if they haven't already found a way around it, they will soon no doubt about it. So the only ones getting ****ed here are legitimate buyers. Also the install limit is unacceptable. 2k screwed up big time and not even the biggest fanboys can back them up this time.

What will this little piece of software do to your computer? NOTHING! All it does is protect the game.

It opens up vulnerabilities to your computer, and can 'cause driver conflicts/whatever.

And of course it doesn't end up hurting pirates at all. Just adds a few minutes/hours to the time it takes for them to crack it.

I'm amazed that companies are still stupid enough to try and pull this crap after the trouble Securom has caused for PC gamers in the past. I think this has sealed it, I won't be buying Bioshock.

Good thing I heard about this now. I just bought the game today and was thinking of giving it a try on my friend's PC first. He never would have forgiven me.

Good thing I heard about this now. I just bought the game today and was thinking of giving it a try on my friend's PC first. He never would have forgiven me.

That would be a bad idea anyways, seeing as it only registers on two computers.

Things like this are a great way to kill PC Gaming, so if they had that in mind - I must tip my hat.

How on earth can devs think this shit will go well come launch time?

godamn asshats..

That would be a bad idea anyways, seeing as it only registers on two computers.

Wow! Now I'm really glad I didn't rush it to my friend's PC.

Hey, wait a minute. Does that mean I'll lose the ability to play Bioshock when I upgrade to a new PC a couple of years down the road?

The 2k Community Rep said that you can install on up to 5 PCs now.

The Bioshock Forum is still in an uproar over the rootkit aspect of SecuROM.

Also, check out the frontpage of http://www.pcgamer.com/

Edit: Thought it'd be good to mention that the Steam version of Bioshock has SecuROM... http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=737

My comment on the new "solution": Not good enough. Get rid of the activation nonsense, and secu-rom (and the rootkit that was installed on my PC which they quite obviously went through a lot of trouble to hide)

Now some people are being threatened with lawsuits by the online store they bought the game through (Direct2Drive):
some guy on the something awful forums said:
D2D sent a legal notice to anyone who purchased the game through their service and preloaded it through a link that was public but which they claim wasn't supposed to be, even though there was no indication we weren't "authorized" to preload a game a day before it came out. It turns out they accidentally sent out activation keys which allowed some people who preloaded to actually play, but at most maybe a couple out of a few thousand people who bought it on D2D had their activation key actually work.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2599572&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=10
http://slashdot.org/firehose.pl?op=view&id=261481

This seems to me like a disgustingly bodged launch tbh... Horribly timed PC demo, lame autopatching/authentication measures, draconian install limit, Securom rootkits, and now something that smells like 2K putting pressure on online distributors to threaten their customers with legal action.

stop hating

This is still the best Game I ever played,hands down!

The worst part of it is it further worsens the already tinged rep PC Gaming had, with an X360 release that went without a hitch.

283489_cc6.jpg

:LOL: **** you S.C

The 2k Community Rep said that you can install on up to 5 PCs now.

Oh great. Thanks 2K. We ****ing bought this game, who the ***k are you to tell us how many times we are going to install it on our machines. Whatever...I enjoy the game greatly, but this shit is absolute madness...stop punishing honest customers with excessive security.

Again, I'll be finding a crack as soon as one's available. As a paying customer, I'm not putting up with this crap.

Is man not entitled to the game he buys?

NO, says the man at Securom. It belongs to 2K.
NO, says the man at 2K. It belongs to us.
NO, says the man at Microsoft. It belongs to our license purchasers.

I rejected those answers.

Instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose...piracy! Where the gamer would not be censored, where the PC owner would not be bound by petty encryption, where the buyer would not be constrained by corporate greed. And with the downloading of your torrents, piracy could become your salvation

It's a shame really, considering it's such a good game :/

lol, thats an awesome quote. I think ill sig it for awhile.

I'm surprised there is any need for a protection system in place for the steam version given it's wholly tied to your account in the first place. Definitely going to be holding off on buying this one until it's all sorted out. Frankly whatever wack job at 2K who thought 2 activation per copy was a reasonable amount clearly has little understanding of how often people upgrade. Hopefully someone will slam a draw shut on his nuts before giving him his notice. :dozey:

I'm surprised there is any need for a protection system in place for the steam version given it's wholly tied to your account in the first place. Definitely going to be holding off on buying this one until it's all sorted out. Frankly whatever wack job at 2K who thought 2 activation per copy was a reasonable amount clearly has little understanding of how often people upgrade. Hopefully someone will slam a draw shut on his nuts before giving him his notice. :dozey:
Nicely put. Personally I might end up paying for it in pieces of eight.

edit: update on some of the antix of secuROM:
It has blacklisted several programs. If you run any of the blacklisted programs, it will refuse to run any SecuROM protected game until it no longer sees those programs. SecuROM has blacklisted several legitimate Microsoft utilities such as Process Explorer.
I've seen this confirmed by screenshots from a guy who couldn't even run the demo after he did something with Process Explorer. Personally I use Process Explorer all the time; it's a great little utility. Yet another reason why I can't buy this game.

Im going to buy the game when it drops in price. But I'll just download the game and the crack to play it, and throw the boxed game in my closet.

Back