Seeking coders and texture artists for Grim Fandango HL2 mod

James Isaac

Reaction score
Mod Information

All right to all those people out there looking for a mod to help work on here is your chance! We are currently looking for programmers and a map texturer! This mod will be based upon one of the best adventure games ever made, Grim Fandago.

This will be a mod with a highly developed story line, acton/adventure and of course challenging puzzels. Currently we are working on weapon, character models and mapping. But we need an experienced programmer to help us along the way!

Please, if you can provide any assistance or ideas to contribute to this mod please post your information and we will get back to you as soon as possible (more contact details at bottom of post).
So if you loved Grim Fandango Please help support us.

Please feel free to leave a post of your thoughts, ideas, and of course qestions.

About the original game - which the mod will be set on

A dramatic and mythical story of crime and corruption set in a surreal world inspired by Mexican folklore comes to life in Grim Fandango, a new graphic adventure from LucasArts Entertainment Company. Grim Fandango, expected to release in the fall of 1998, combines elements of classic film noir with a mysterious and engaging story spanning the four year search for redemption by Manny Calavera, a travel agent in the Land of the Dead.

Manny, a true working stiff, is stuck in his own personal purgatory with the ultimate dead-end job. Employed by the Department of Death, Manny must pick up people in the Land of the Living, bring them to the Land of the Dead, and set them off on a four year journey across the underworld -- an excursion that all souls must make before they come to their eternal resting place. Manny can’t move on until he meets his sales quota, but what he doesn’t know is that the cards are truly stacked against him. He’s caught in the middle of an embezzlement ring that’s preventing him from getting the right clients. Manny soon finds this out and steals a prime prospect, setting in motion a chain of events that not only threaten his job, but the eternal destiny of his soul.

At the heart of Grim Fandango is a gripping story about one man’s journey in a dark underworld fraught with mystery and intrigue. Inspired by the films Chinatown, Casablanca and The Big Sleep, the game’s four year saga intertwines the themes of classic film noir with exotic mythology of ancient Mexico. The two genres share elements that are at the core of Manny’s struggle: danger, drama, greed, the passage of an innocent person through a dark and perilous realm, and finally, redemption.

"Grim Fandango is the most ambitious graphic adventure that LucasArts has ever developed," says Tom Byron, product marketing manager for LucasArts. "Tim Schafer, whose other projects at LucasArts include the popular graphic adventure titles Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle, has successfully undertaken a different approach to Grim Fandango by turning the technical limitations of 3D into an art style."

Graphically, Grim Fandango draws inspiration from Mexican Day of the Dead folklore art and the film Nightmare Before Christmas, showcasing a unique approach never before seen in an interactive title. Characters come to life as skeletons, depicted in a primitive yet realistic folk-art style. Architecture is a combination of Aztec, Mayan and Art Deco, providing Grim Fandango with an exotic and mystical tone. Vehicles are wildly exaggerated custom hot rods, in a style reminiscent of Ed "Big Daddy" Roth’s outrageous creations from the 1960s. Grim Fandango features more than 50 mysterious characters and 90 locations, all beautifully rendered in stunning 3D animation.

Mod Ideas

The signle player will take place in the same 4 years as Manny's story, but in the perspective of another character, probably Domino. You will find out how his story fits in with Manny's. There will be elements of adventure (puzzle solving) and action (shooting). There will also be different difficulty settings for the action parts, so anyone can play, no matter what their ability.

If the single player works well, we will move it into multiplayer a well, with these possible modes (and bots will be avaliable for people who don't want to play with real people):

Deathmatch - All against all shootout, with different characters from Grim Fandango to choose from.
Team Deathmatch - Two teams battle it out to see who can kill the most people on the other team.
Capture the NN Tickets - Two or more teams battle it out to see who can capture the suitcase of NN tickets and return with it to their base. This mode may be called "Capture the Bag"

Weapon Ideas

Throughout the game you will come across a range of Grim Fandango style weapons. Here are some ideas:

Melee
  • Scythe - powerful but slow to handle
  • Dagger - not as powerful as the scythe, but easy to handle
Firearms
  • Sproutella pistol (similar to Hector's from when he shoots Don) - cheap, easy to get hold of, but not very poweful
  • Sproutella rifle - fires a high number of shots in a short amount of time, but expensive and has a lot of recoil - good for close range combat
  • Sproutella RPG - a rocket launcher which fires extremely powerful rockets that will cause an explosion with a lot of damage and is magnetised to metallic objects, but expensive, slow to fire and reload.
  • Sproutella sniper rifle - an extremely powerful rifle which comes with a scope, and is extremely accurate - one shot with this will kill, but it is extremely expensive and takes a long time to reload.
Equipment
  • Grenade - causes an explosion which will seriously harm anyone nearby.
Items
  • There will possibly be an items tray, where picked up items will be stored, and can be used later to solve puzzles

Contact Details

Check out our web site at http://dod.dotagame.com/

I hope you have permission from the copyright holders...

Why would you possibly make a Grim Fandango shooter? It wasn't even a violent world. That doesn't make sense at all. Making an adventure game in source would be great, but making an adventure game into a shooter is just... odd.

Oh well, the world was violent and corrupt, I loved the scenario :D

BTW, I made this model some months ago:

tony.jpg

...we planned on doing a own adventure game, but I didn't quite work out ;)

pur3r4ge said:
Why would you possibly make a Grim Fandango shooter? It wasn't even a violent world. That doesn't make sense at all. Making an adventure game in source would be great, but making an adventure game into a shooter is just... odd.

I agree with Recoil... the world was violent and corrupt. The main reason you don't see many guns in the game is because you play as Manny, a friendly character, but if you were to follow someone like Domino or Hector, I'm sure there would be plenty of 'sprouting'. In the game you see Don Copal get shot, Manny shooting one of Hector's ravens, Hector threatening to sprout Bowsley, and Membrillo's Morgue full of sprouted souls. All of those are examples of how violent the world is ;)

By the way, I have Visual Studio .NET 2003, so I can compile any code if necessary.

And, nice model Recoil :D

Yesssss! Finaly

Yes finaly some one is reconizing Grim Fandango's awsomnes and is making a mod for the HL2 Engine YEAH!! ITs going to be awsome!!Wow, this sounds really good. Grim Fandango was a great game. I wish i could help with this mod!!!! CUASE this will be one of those mods people arent expecting! For all those peeps who dont know wut Grim Fandango is GO BUY IT ull understand after that!

I would find it interesting to make a new game outta this... first person shooters don't really fit the whole thing :) a new RPG would be cool; based on a open-source 3D-engine or so :)

WOW! cool, i hope you complete this mod, i loved Grim Fandango, it is one of my favorite games of all time! good luck!

Sad to say, but without LucasArts' permission, the more popular you become, the more likely that they'll go beat you down because of IP infringement. Unless, of course, you have their permission.

-Angry Lawyer

try asking them, they're known for their lenience on their IP

Sounds like a very ambitious project ;)

I have my worries however wether or not it will fit in with the original, brilliant story.

/me looks into his crystal ball
I forsee... This mod being shutdown by Lucas Arts for IP infringement...

U forsee see u shuting ur trap! Lets just hope that lucas arts dont be dykes and let us have permission eh? Think Positive bro.

Back