Server not responding

AH_Viper

Spy
Reaction score
Hi guys

Im having trouble with CS source - whenever i follow my mates with friends i can connect fine apart from when they join certain servers.

The guy just lives down the road from me (not as if hes in the US or something) but he can play in a server and my just says its not responding and doesnt even let me TRY and join.

For example - he says this server pings fine: 192.168.36.118:27015. But mine just says its not there.

Any ideas?

EDIT:: Ok, I cant even connect if i do +connect in the shortcut :|

hmm a tough one... maybe if you just dont play in the same server as him it might be fine other than that i dont know

plus most of the time when im given Ips for servers it just says
"server not responding"
btw does it say anything about the STEAM user ID ticket coz that mite be your problem altho it has like nuthin to do with this
also are you playing in LAN servers with him because i reccomend playing on internet servers because whenever i play LAN it is just screwed up and spazztastic

hey, the problem is that server you listed above is an internal IP, meaning its for LAN (maybe your friend hosts it at home?) anyways, you need the external ip (usually something that isnt 192.168.XX.XX)

Open the CS:S console, and type:

connect 192.168.36.118:27015

hey, the problem is that server you listed above is an internal IP, meaning its for LAN (maybe your friend hosts it at home?) anyways, you need the external ip (usually something that isnt 192.168.XX.XX)

Are you even in the slightest bit aware that this thread is over a year old?

Here is your answer

I finally figured this thing out... Your giving your friend the wrong ip address. You need to give him your EXTERNAL IP or the IP provided by your internet provider. Lets say you have a router which assigns your computer an ip like this 192.168.1.100 and your game's server ip shows up like this 192.168.1.100:27015. Now, this is your internal ip and only you can ping it. Therefore, only you can join this server. What you need to do is go to whatismyip.com take that ip, which is your external ip, and add :20715 at the end to show your true server ip. For example, lets say whatismyip.com says:"Your IP Address Is 64.43.234.532", then your server ip is actually 64.43.234.532:27015 and not 192.168.1.100:27015 . So give out the 64.43.234.532:27015 ip address and this should fix your problem!!!! Good luck with your servers!

That would be great except for two things.
a. I very much doubt hes still got this problem a year later
b. The solution you gave would work great if his friend was trying to connect to him. But hes not, hes trying to connect to his friend.

Back