Shadow Problem

Epyon

Reaction score
While playing bf2 before i realized that when i was under a tree, behind a wall, or inside a house the shadowing on my weapon and arm would never change. I could of sworn that whatever shadow a certain object was casting on the ground will cast on my weapon/arm when i walk under it.

I check to make sure i had everything on the highest settings, and they were so i decided to reinstall the game.

When it finished installing i didnt patch the game to 1.22 figuring that maybe it was the patch that messed the shadows up. So i booted up the game, started a singleplayer match, and the shadows worked correctly.

So then i patched the game, and the shadows didnt work like they were suppose to. This lead me to believe that there is some kind of problem with the 1.22 patch, though it seems that models that move, such as vehicles or turrets cast shadows on me, but not static objects like buildings, boxes, walls, etc. But ive looked on every bf2 forum and all over google and could not find anyone else with this problem.

Ive included 3 screenshots. The first one shows me being completely out of the shadow being casted by the house. The second one shows me what i believe was about half in the shadow, and half not. Notice how even though the front of my gun is in the shadow its not shaded darker then the other half of my gun that isnt in the shadow. And the last screenshot is me completely in the shadow. Also notice how the shading on my gun is not darker then when im in the sunlight.

I have a Radeon X800 with 6.4 drivers. Any help is appreciated.

Hmmm... do you have an XT? Because that's what I have, and I've never encountered that :/

Nope, i have a xl. Im thinking maybe theres something wrong with the patch from where i downloaded it from so ill get it from another source.

Edit: Finished reinstalling and waiting for patch to finish downloading. Just in case anyone is confused on what i am trying to explain i attached pictures on how its suppose to look.

Hrm that's strange. You have the latest drivers for your gfx card? ATI, right? Catalyst 6.3 just came out recently iirc.

oh btw, that bot pwned in those pictures! 3 knife kills! :LOL:

xombine said:
Hrm that's strange. You have the latest drivers for your gfx card? ATI, right? Catalyst 6.3 just came out recently iirc.

oh btw, that bot pwned in those pictures! 3 knife kills! :LOL:

Haha, didnt notice that. Yea i have the lastest drivers, catalyst 6.4. The patch finished downloading and i ran it but i got the patching has failed error :rolleyes: so now i have to do it manually.

Edit: Alright so to no surprise getting the patch from another location did not work. Next im going to revert back to the 6.3 drivers. If that doesnt work then i will probably just have to cry.

;( ;( ;( ;( ;( . Yea so it didnt work. Are you all sure that your shadows look like they do in the second set of pictures? Maybe they took out shadows casting on players from static objects because of performance issues or something. But then again if thats the case then why am i the first person to realize it.

Edit: Ok well i found the problem. They DID take out shadowing from trees/bushes/buildings and so on. Take a look at this thread from totabf2.com http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56770 . Look at the 2 pictures in the second post.

Edit # 5000 : Unless that guy just has the same problem as me : /

Unfortunately it appears so, I haven't played in a while, but I did notice this too. Albeit, I wasn't as bothered about it as you are.

Althought it does make the game run a bit better, it makes it look so bad. = \. It's a shame, because now I can't take advantage of the better looking graphics.

I've never actually noticed that, not sure if I have that problem or not...

but then again I'm running on a Nvidia card so we're on different scenarios.

D:

Yeah...never noticed. But then again, for the longest time, I HAD to play on all Low..D:

Back