Should team chat be allowed?

M

madnesscombat

Hey everybody, I was playing on a server the other day and some ppl were using a team chat program such as skype, where they could be constantly talking to each other without pressing a button. Should this be called cheating?

No, it shouldn't. If it's allowed in such things as Enemy Down (A CSS ladder), then it should be allowed in Public play.

This is of course if you were talking about things like Team Speak 2 and stuff.

Since most servers let you spec everyone when you die, people on teamspeak are cheating if they give away the other teams positions. When I'm on ts and my buddies wanna know where the last guy is on the opposing team, I tell them that it would be cheating if I told them. But you can be certain that most people are not like that and will gladly tell their teammates where you are. They are cheaters :angry:

beam said:
Since most servers let you spec everyone when you die, people on teamspeak are cheating if they give away the other teams positions. When I'm on ts and my buddies wanna know where the last guy is on the opposing team, I tell them that it would be cheating if I told them. But you can be certain that most people are not like that and will gladly tell their teammates where you are. They are cheaters :angry:
You can turn on fade to black, and telling your team mates where you died and hence where the guy is is not cheating.

i dont see a problem on public servers...there is no reason why u shouldnt be allowed to use ts or others. if youre havin a war its different. in the case of clan vs clan there is always a referee who observes ts and such.
just my opininion. i like to use ts - its more fun if u can have a chat with youre team8es.

it is kind of unfair but almost any game u go to with 2 or more people who know each other or like 10 or more players, its almost evident they are talking discreetly, thats why in matches in leagues they make it so u can only view ur teams first person. but in public servers it can be helpful, u can be dead and tell ur alive teamate where the camping noob is saving everyone 5 minutes of just sitting there picking their asses

Like last night on our Public clan server, there was an AFK. Now, I knew this because I was on TS with my dead colleagues, but no one else did, and it saved a lot of time and effort that we had TS, and we just said he was AFK.

Thanks for all the feedback. Everyone on the server was really angry at these two counter terrorists because they kept mentioning terms related to teamspeak, and everyone assumed they were using it. They also stuck together in the game, but I dont think they were cheating, just two friends that wanted to talk while playing a game together.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with using teamspeak. Telling people that there is AFK's or the last T is camping on a de map is fine. But when you have people that are specing the last guy on the opposing team and constantly relaying info to their alive teammates about his position and what he's doing is cheating and very poor sportsmanship.

What a bunch of idiots. They talk to each other to tell them where they at? haha. Why dont you just get a ****ing CS HOOK and cheat. So much easier.

beam said:
people on teamspeak are cheating if they give away the other teams positions.

This is commonly called Ghosting and yes it's cheating - bigtime. I play on the GoP server and I've seen it happen from time to time but the Admins there do a good job of cracking down on it when it happens. There is no doubt this is cheating though. It's an unfair advantage. It's pretty east to diagnose if you watch someone.

RogueAngel said:
This is commonly called Ghosting and yes it's cheating - bigtime. I play on the GoP server and I've seen it happen from time to time but the Admins there do a good job of cracking down on it when it happens. There is no doubt this is cheating though. It's an unfair advantage. It's pretty east to diagnose if you watch someone.
It's ok for clan matches though, because usually you get like server configs which make it so you can't see the other team and such.

Me and my friend's are always in my TS server when we play any game (CSS, FFXI, SWBF, FC etc..) and it's only considered cheating when you say where someone is. We generally have about 10 or 12 people in TS, so we have people on both teams anyway.

Me and my friend get together every Sunday and play CS:S at my house. He uses my Bro's comp which is in the room right next to me, so we can talk withot using teamspeak. BT the only time i "ghosted" was when the T said he was going AFK and noone saw it, so when he and the T were the only ones left i told him to go to the spawn and kill the AFKer.

We both use team tactics, so often we are labeled "cheaters," or "h/-\xorz," or some other l337 speak bullsh*t. IMHO, there is nothing like working together to accomplish the objective, be it an CS map, or a DE map. Also, there is nothing like the both of us going true CT style (most of the time i scout) and buying MP5s and amor and flashbangs, and working together. One time at the end of 60 rounds i had 150 something kills, 20 deaths, and he had 130 something kills and 20 deaths. When you work together, 2 can often take out a whole other team. Such is the power of communication and proper tactics. If you want to call it cheating, go ahead, but there i alot to learn from people like us, and it can dramatically improve your gameplay experience.

Oh BTW when i play on a pub by myself, i often get like 50-30 Kill-Death ratio. Really bugs me when you have someone tell you they'll watch your back and then you get Glocked by the n00b behind you. Its like, damn man, if you had covered me you would have at least gotten one kill.

C/SGT Kebean

Kebean PFC said:
When you work together, 2 can often take out a whole other team. Such is the power of communication and proper tactics. If you want to call it cheating, go ahead, but there i alot to learn from people like us, and it can dramatically improve your gameplay experience.
C/SGT Kebean
Amen to that. I posted this because me and my friend where going to try out using a prog like TS, and it really does improve the quality of the game. Being able to constantly cover each other is a huge advantage, and the the things two ppl can acomplish are amazing.

I often play with a m8 and we chat on skype during that. At first we did abuse the ghosting. Was fun at first, counting down 'till the poor enemy walks through those doors and blam headshot.
Then we realised it was cheating. We quit it.
We still talk on skype during gameplay, but now we never give away things over skype that we see from ghosting. Most of the time I make sure I follow him in first-person view so i only see what he sees.
Only thing i still denounce is an afk or maybe some ****tard camping in an over-the-top fashion ("i'm guarding our spawn, let those hossies save themselves" types).

Using skype is ok, using it for ghosting is cheating. It's rather easy to spot too. Look for ppl with the same clantag, who, when one of them is dead, suddenly run through the entire map with the knife, and then sneak upon the one enemy left with their guns at the ready.

The fade to black thing is really annoying, but locking to first-person view on teammates should be acceptable.

edit: and yes, using something like skype really improves the gameplay experience. Couldn't miss it. As long as u use it responsibly, it's fine.

fraco

i'm usually on Ventrilo when i'm playing in public servers with friends, but that's only because in-game chat sounds like McDonalds and i'm sure that no one in our team wants to hear me and my friends talk about random crap all game.

you can basicly have your brother on another pc being a spec and telling you where the other players are. does that rule as a wall hack?

dekstar said:
It's ok for clan matches though, because usually you get like server configs which make it so you can't see the other team and such.

Yes I agree. Heck you could even use it on pubs if you didn't GHOST to your buddies. It's so obvious when someone is doing it.

Kebean PFC said:
If you want to call it cheating, go ahead, but there i alot to learn from people like us, and it can dramatically improve your gameplay experience.

You are so missing the point dude. What you do is not cheating and all power to you. Teamwork rules. It's when you or your buddy die and you tell him where the other team is that you are "ghosting" (cheating). If you are not doing that then it's totally cool.

I know, but i posted becuase some previous poster said it was cheating to use a voice comm regardless of how and why you were using it. I love being able to talk to most of the players on a voice comm because you can really work together.

P.S. If anyone is going to bitch about "reality," and the "real world," one of my friends dad was Delta Force for 10 years, they use radio/headsets + Hand signals (not in game, but look at DoD).

If anyone out there hasnt ever tried using a program like skype or teamspeak, you should download one today and try it out with your friends. As said above, it significately improves the stragegy and 'team play' of the game, which is, when i last checked, the whole point of the game. Anyone who is against using teamspeak type programs to strengthen the main aspect of the game should re check why they are even playing counter strike.

I agree^

Just don't use it to cheat is all I'm saying :cheers:

Back