Similarities?

Y

Yorick

So there are a lot of threads/posts about Easter Eggs, and I haven't seen much along the lines of similarities to other games/movies/etc, so I thought I'd post a thread! Was there anything in playing through Portal that reminded you of something else?

The first few sections where you started to get glimpses of the areas "outside" the puzzles really reminded me of the Cube trilogy of movies (in a good way!)

Yeah, in fact I was thinking of Cube and Hypercube even before it came out. I started getting that feeling when the white washed walls and Glados' mind bending banter started closing in on me. (late at night...)

... there was a third cube movie? After how Hypercube turned out... do I even want to know?

Cube Zero, which I think came out BEFORE Hypercube. It's a prequel to Cube.

I also get the Cube feeling from Portal :)

GLaDOS definitely reminds me of a female HAL 9000, epseicially in the later levels when she's trying to convince you not to do what you're doing.

Also, the red 'eyes' in the (really cute) talking turrets might be a hats-off to HAL.

Yeah, others have compared Glados to HAL.

What I really like is how you slowly realise that Glados is not just eccentric with a weird sense of humor, but suffers from servere dementia.

The act of obsessing with one object, giving it supernatural or strange emphasis (the cake) and trying to convince someone you still like them while trying to kill them, classic symptoms. I feel sad for her really.

Maybe during the genetic additions to Glados, Cave Johnson had some of his brain matter put in. Seems like both Glados and Cave suffer from the same malady.

Cube Zero, which I think came out BEFORE Hypercube.

No, it was released two years After Hypercube.

... there was a third cube movie? After how Hypercube turned out... do I even want to know?

It's not at all like Hypercube. Cube Zero is, as Ennui mentioned, a prequel to Cube - and a lot more similar. The fanbase is split pretty evenly on it from what I've seen. Some people like it because it gives out a lot of answers. I hate it for that same reason.

There is aslo maybe reference to Blade Runner.
When GLaDOS tell you about android...

And Lazytown maybe? :LOL:

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=-azqXygCzO8[/YOUTUBE]

yeah I thought about Cube too, and of course lazytown lol

Didn't notice blade runner.

Back