Singularity

thanks for sharing, looks pretty fun

Nathan Drake being there is kind of distracting though . . .

While unpolished and suffering some texture streaming problems on the PC I'm having fun with this.

Yeah that bothered me too. Also I don't understand what's with the mediocre graphics, the Unreal engine can do so much better than this. On the visual side the only saving grace is the art direction, which although isn't original it's nice nonetheless. I actually like the 1955 zones more, rather than the gloomy, grungy "present".

Anyway I've just finished it, and overall it's an OK game. Not great, but not bad either. It's definitely better than Wolfenstein, if anything because there isn't an annoying hub city which you visit over and over again.
Also the TMD powers are implemented nicely. The exploding spiders are annoying as hell though.

Also I really liked the ending

You're faced with a choice, either kill the dictator, and afterwards go back to 1955 and stop yourself from saving the yet to be dictator, from the fire.
Or kill the scientist who created the TMD, and helped you throughout the game.

First time I chose the bad guy rout, and killed the scientist. The result was that the soviet union conquered the world with me as supreme commander of the army. Later leading to a new cold war between the dictator and my character.

Second time I tried the supposed "good guy" rout killed the dictator, and the went back to 1955 and killed myself, in order to stop myself from saving the yet to be dictator from the fire. Hopefully to restore the original time line. The result however was that the soviet union still conquered the world only this time it was the scientist leading it. :LOL:
Didn't see that one coming, I was expecting a stereotypical happy ending.

Yeah that bothered me too. Also I don't understand what's with the mediocre graphics, the Unreal engine can do so much better than this. On the visual side the only saving grace is the art direction, which although isn't original it's nice nonetheless. I actually like the 1955 zones more, rather than the gloomy, grungy "present".

Anyway I've just finished it, and overall it's an OK game. Not great, but not bad either. It's definitely better than Wolfenstein, if anything because there isn't an annoying hub city which you visit over and over again.
Also the TMD powers are implemented nicely. The exploding spiders are annoying as hell though.

Also I really liked the ending

You're faced with a choice, either kill the dictator, and afterwards go back to 1955 and stop yourself from saving the yet to be dictator, from the fire.
Or kill the scientist who created the TMD, and helped you throughout the game.

First time I chose the bad guy rout, and killed the scientist. The result was that the soviet union conquered the world with me as supreme commander of the army. Later leading to a new cold war between the dictator and my character.

Second time I tried the supposed "good guy" rout killed the dictator, and the went back to 1955 and killed myself, in order to stop myself from saving the yet to be dictator from the fire. Hopefully to restore the original time line. The result however was that the soviet union still conquered the world only this time it was the scientist leading it. :LOL:
Didn't see that one coming, I was expecting a stereotypical happy ending.

There is something I don't understand.

How could the Dictator have the Soviet Union take over the world at 2010 when the Soviet Union broke up at the late 80s? Unless your character traveled back in time to save the would be Dictator, which caused a fluke in human history in which the Soviet Union is still intact after the 80s. At least, that is what I thought but I wasn't too sure. And as for the ending, it seems like no matter what you do you don't get a good ending. I guess there is a lesson here, that power can corrupt no matter who you are or what nation you are from. Of course, I've known that since I was a kid but when you have the power to control time, I guess it makes you think you are literally god. In Singularity, the TMD has been refered to as "The Hand of God" a few times.

There is something I don't understand.

How could the Dictator have the Soviet Union take over the world at 2010 when the Soviet Union broke up at the late 80s? Unless your character traveled back in time to save the would be Dictator, which caused a fluke in human history in which the Soviet Union is still intact after the 80s. At least, that is what I thought but I wasn't too sure.

At the start of the game you go to 1955 by accident and save him from the fire(just because you're a nice guy lol) and that causes the alternate timeline in which the E99 experiments are a success, the Soviet Union never collapsed, and conquers the world.

As for the endings, you know that saying: Better to be ruler in hell, than a servant in heaven.

In my opinion to restore the original timeline, you would've had to kill both the dictator and the scinetist, then go back in time and kill yourself. So that would've been ending 4.

It's a good game but it's nothing spectacular. Everything in the game has already been done before in one way or another. I can understand why it's being compared to so many games. First, you got the story presentation which is nearly identical to Bioshock's. From the audio tapes to the animated propaganda video reels. Then there's the enemies and the paranormal nature of the game. A mixture of Wolfenstein and F.E.A.R. basically. I can see why one of the reviewers compared it to Half Life. Apart from the puzzles and sequences, two of the supporting characters are carbon copies of Alyx and Dr. Kleiner.

It's not a bad game. Not at all. I enjoyed the storyline very much and most of its gameplay elements.
The TMD is a cool device but they didn't take full advantage of it in my opinion. The aging/de-aging feature is what makes this game stand out yet its use is very limited. It could have been much more than just a tool to overcome generic obstacles in the environment. It also would have been awesome if you were able to age and de age the enemies too. "Overpowered by enemies? Just turn them into babies and have a laugh at them. Or, use your aging ability and knock the old farts over with your pinky finger."

I didn't fully understand the Kathryn bit after the "good guy" ending. Somebody explain to me what exactly she was scribbling into that Soviet handbook?

Is there any way to take screenshots in this game? Tried print screen but it just comes out blank... Wanted to post a few in the screenshots thread.

I was really bummed out when I saw that the game doesn't have subtitles on any platform, my hearing isn't the best so I always tend to play games with subtitles on so, that's a major bummer for me.

Here is a way to fix the awful texture stream issue if your the Hex editing type:-

http://forums.dearwandy.com/viewtopic.php?id=30090

I do have the actual modified files, and they do indeed work but one is a modified nocd so I cannot post them here.

Damn, you beat me to it. ;)

It seems like this game has problems with "Texture Streaming", which has existed in many UE3 games (Such as Unreal Tournament 3 and Gears of War) but it seems to be more so with Singularity. Let's hope that Raven releases a patch for this game sometime soon. But it surprises me that Raven could miss such a large problem.

Here is a tool that does the same job as the modified files:-

screenbm.png

http://www.sendspace.com/file/m7p5at

It creates a backup of your files and allows you to set the pool size (the creator recommends 400).

It would be great if someone found a way to increase the FOV.

Aside from Quake 4, what else have they done that's mediocre? :|

i've not played it but wolfenstein didnt look like much =/

and yeah quake 4 was so mediocre it starts to dip past mediocrity :|

I actually liked Quake 4 alot, and I played the hell out of it. I still play it on occasion. I can't understand why people don't like it and think it's mediocre? *shrugs* I will admit that their new Wolfenstein game wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be. It's still good and fun, but there were a few problems with it that I couldn't easily overlook such as the 'Console' feel (which I try not to complain about since Consolization doesn't bother me as much, but there were limited options, and I could only load checkpoints. I couldn't manually save, or even save the latest checkpoint), and it 'borrowed' alot of ideas from other games. Also the story was too comic bookish and a little too silly.

Aside from Quake 4, what else have they done that's mediocre? :|

Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force
Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Wolfenstein

Quake 4 was not mediocre. Quake 4 was garbage.

Quake 4 was not mediocre. Quake 4 was garbage.

I'm......starting to think I am the only person here who enjoyed Quake 4. Does that make me different and strange?

As for Singularity, I hope my local Wall-Mart or Hastings will have it this time around. Back when the new Aliens vs Predator was released, neither had it (for the PC at least, but they both had plenty of copies of the console versions. Ugh.) and I had to end up ordering it from New Egg's site.

Your so wrong.

This.

I'm......starting to think I am the only person here who enjoyed Quake 4. Does that make me different and strange?

You'll come to realise on this site that unique opinions are frowned upon here :p

Especially with Ross/Samon O___o

the most particular ones are:

pretty much any big console exclusive tbh (particularly halo, gears of war, killzone)
bioshock (prepare for a fight in pretty much any topic bioshock is mentioned >_>)
fallout 3
call of duty
deus ex 2

No. I enjoyed it as well. We shall be different and strange together!

I for one, am looking forward to this!

Am I the only person bummed out that the developers failed to include something as simple as optional subtitles?

No, not at all. Quake 4 was an enjoyable experience throughout.

Started playing it again with the texture streaming tweaks, and it looks better now. If you're playing it for the first time I strongly recommend turning off depth of field in the options menu, it looks so much better without it.

Didn't AC2 have subtitles in about 3 different languages? Does that put you to sleep at night?

It did not put me to sleep, since the Swedish subs(Which were forced upon me due to my 360 locale setting being Swedish) were often way off from what the characters were actually saying.

It was the same for Splinter Cell: Conviction.

If Ubisoft are intent on translating the text in their games to Swedish, they should at least get someone with a proper grasp of both the Swedish and the English language to do it.

And, it was retarded that Ubi didn't include an in-game option menu for changing the language of the game, rather they didn't explain how to do it at all, I had to ask a developer via support who then explained that you had to change the locale setting for your entire console for it to change language.

Samon doesn't like JK2?
Just for that, I will never listen to him again.

No, no, NO.

11m3xmp.jpg

Play this, and then come back and tell me JK2 is good. Go on. Off with you.

No, no, NO.

Play this, and then come back and tell me JK2 is good. Go on. Off with you.

I don't know about him, but I have played both JK2 and MOTS, and JK3 IS GOOD. Jedi Academy sucks ass though.

I don't know about him, but I have played both JK2 and MOTS, and JK3 IS GOOD. Jedi Academy sucks ass though.

Played them all and enjoyed JK3. I also really enjoyed Quake 4. I actually made a mod for Elite Force so it's obvious I thought that was brilliant.

I don't like JKII either. It's pretty average compared to previous games.

I recall playing the original JK, is it the one where there is a level where the rebels are attacked at their base by the empire and you get to participate in the battle?

Think I played it when I was 9 or 10.

My brother had just gotten the game for the PC and I'm currently installing it in. But I can already tell that it won't do well on the PC side because this hasn't gotten any digital release at all as of yet. A fatal mistake for selling PC Games, to not release it both digitally and retail at the same time. But then again, this is Activision and it seems like they don't care much for Singularity. Hell, I haven't even seen it advertised at all online.

Here is a tool that does the same job as the modified files:-

screenbm.png

http://www.sendspace.com/file/m7p5at

It creates a backup of your files and allows you to set the pool size (the creator recommends 400).

Using this program corrupted my .exe file so I've gotta reinstall the game again from scratch. I'll wait and go through the game to see if it gives this problem, and if it does then I guess I'll have to use a Hex editor to fix the problem.

Back