Singularity

Using this program corrupted my .exe file so I've gotta reinstall the game again from scratch. I'll wait and go through the game to see if it gives this problem, and if it does then I guess I'll have to use a Hex editor to fix the problem.

Try this one:-

http://www.sendspace.com/file/xvrsa4

Works with all versions of the game apparently.

I recall playing the original JK, is it the one where there is a level where the rebels are attacked at their base by the empire and you get to participate in the battle?

Think I played it when I was 9 or 10.

That's Mysterious of the Sith, Dark Forces II's expansion pack.

Ah, then that's the one I played, remember loving it though.

No such luck with this one either. It also corrupted my .exe and I have to reinstall the game back in. I think I'm better off waiting for a patch. But knowing Activision's poor backing and support of this game so far, god knows when that will be.

The program does create a backup of the files so re-install wasn't needed, incidentally you did set the pool size correctly in the app didn't you? I didn't use this app but have heard it works. I used actual hex edited files supplied on a forum. If you want them to try I could send you a link.

The program does create a backup of the files so re-install wasn't needed, incidentally you did set the pool size correctly in the app didn't you? I didn't use this app but have heard it works. I used actual hex edited files supplied on a forum. If you want them to try I could send you a link.

I tried looking for the backups, but I couldn't find them. Ah well, looks like I'll have to do it the hard way and use a Hex editor. Can you give a link? Thanks.

I had just beaten the game today. Despite some bugs, a crappy port, and some aspects of the story being goofy, it's actually a pretty good game. It also seems quite inspired by Bioshock, and as one person online put it if it was anymore Bioshock like Singularity would be Bioshock 3.

a crappy port

Apart from the texture bug, which is easily fixed I would say it was one of the most impressive ports for some time. The optimisation was giving me well above 120fps most of the time with responsive controls and some decent scaling options.

Apart from the texture bug, which is easily fixed I would say it was one of the most impressive ports for some time. The optimisation was giving me well above 120fps most of the time with responsive controls and some decent scaling options.

It does run pretty good, but it lacks alot of options such as being able to manually save & quicksave, and set FLV.

For anyone interested, there is a HUGE art dump by some of the artists who worked on it on Polycount. And I mean huge. If you don't like LOTS of images in forum posts, stay the hell out.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74680

Samples:

eliteSpetsnaz_textured.jpg

feederBoss_textured.jpg

7.jpg

2A.jpg

Good god damn that's awesome.. Barisov looks like the Medic in one picture.

Also looks kind of like a Collector from ME2 as far as the head goes.

12B.jpg

Woah, thanks for that cool link Krynn72! :thumbs: All that concept art looks great, and that collection is begging to be in an Artbook! Fortunately the guys at Raven release all that concept art for free. I would have liked to see some more custom art of the weapons in the game.

It does run pretty good, but it lacks alot of options such as being able to manually save & quicksave, and set FLV.

Whats FLV? Also, the lack of manual saves is never really an issue as the autosaves are pretty perfectly placed. Though these are hardly signs of a bad port, just a port.

Still the most fun I've had with a game in recent months TBH. :)

How's the PC multiplayer? Anyone had a chance to tinker with that yet?

Nah, I generally don't do Multiplayer games, though the footage I've seen at least looks unique enough from the crap currently around.

Whats FLV? Also, the lack of manual saves is never really an issue as the autosaves are pretty perfectly placed. Though these are hardly signs of a bad port, just a port.

Still the most fun I've had with a game in recent months TBH. :)

Oh sorry, I meant FOV, or Field of View. The FOV kinda doesn't feel right and it makes my eyes strain a bit in indoor areas in the game. I would have liked to adjust the FOV a bit more for this. But despite the technical issues, it really is a fun title, and it's a damn shame that Activision has placed almost no effort to help promote it. If I was someone at Raven, I'd be frustrated.

But I wonder what Raven has planned for the future? Activision has put them up to making DLC for COD Black Ops, but surely they must be making plans for a full title and not just DLC. It'd be a waste of talent, IMHO.

It's decent. Gets old fast, but fun possessing enemy soldiers as a phase tick and using their bodies to kill their team mates for a while.

Oh sorry, I meant FOV, or Field of View. The FOV kinda doesn't feel right and it makes my eyes strain a bit in indoor areas in the game. I would have liked to adjust the FOV a bit more for this. But despite the technical issues, it really is a fun title, and it's a damn shame that Activision has placed almost no effort to help promote it. If I was someone at Raven, I'd be frustrated.

But I wonder what Raven has planned for the future? Activision has put them up to making DLC for COD Black Ops, but surely they must be making plans for a full title and not just DLC. It'd be a waste of talent, IMHO.

Yeah, I've seen quite a bit of frustration at the FOV, not something I was bothered by TBH. I can't understand the thinking of Activision. They have this decent new IP that they have just released which for once is actually something worth playing. They fail to give it any promotion at all then upon checking the price on GAME.co.uk I see that they are charging £39.99 FOR THE PC VERSION. This is on a site where usually the most expensive game is £24.99 for PC. They expect to sell a game they have told no one about for £40 on the PC. They live in a ****ing dreamworld, which is a shame because this means a lot of gamers will pass this by and piracy will be blamed for it's low sales once again. Raven need to jump ship and join a publisher who actually wants people to buy their games.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/111939/raven-would-love-a-singularity-sequel

Based on an interview, the folks at Raven would like to do a sequel to Singularity. Interesting to hear them consider this, though it didn't seem like the story gave much room for a sequel. But when Vondrak said ""To get a sequel, and see ultimately where it goes, because with the sales numbers, we'll see if that's a viable option from a business standpoint.", it didn't leave me much hope. I don't think Singularity will sell well, in fact I'm expecting the sales to tank. No thanks to Activision giving the game little promotion and no release advertisement (none that I am aware of, at least).

Oh and by the way stemot, thanks for that fix you sent me. The textures load up like normal now. :)

There were a few adverts awhile ago. Seemed like it was a month before release though. I remember seeing them on Gametrailers. Anyways, I wish I could afford to spend 50 bucks right now, I'd get the game in a heartbeat. I'm all about supporting good developers, and I've heard lots of good things about the game.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/111939/raven-would-love-a-singularity-sequel

Based on an interview, the folks at Raven would like to do a sequel to Singularity. Interesting to hear them consider this, though it didn't seem like the story gave much room for a sequel. But when Vondrak said ""To get a sequel, and see ultimately where it goes, because with the sales numbers, we'll see if that's a viable option from a business standpoint.", it didn't leave me much hope. I don't think Singularity will sell well, in fact I'm expecting the sales to tank. No thanks to Activision giving the game little promotion and no release advertisement (none that I am aware of, at least).

I would love a sequel, I think that the only ending they could really use would be the "good ending"
since it seems there is still plenty wrong about the timeline at that point.

Oh and by the way stemot, thanks for that fix you sent me. The textures load up like normal now. :)

No problem mate, it's got quite atmospheric environments when the textures aren't popping in at all the wrong times. :D

For anyone interested, there is a HUGE art dump by some of the artists who worked on it on Polycount. And I mean huge. If you don't like LOTS of images in forum posts, stay the hell out.

Goddamn you, the art alone makes me want this game.

Too bad I hear it is 6-10 hours of gameplay :|

6-10 hours is pretty standard for a first person shooter this gen.

What's the issue with that?

6-10 hours is pretty standard for a first person shooter this gen.

Look, unless it's something I know will be good/a title to a series that I love, if I am going to blow 50 dollars on something that might be entirely mediocre or complete trash, I better get 15-20 hours out of it.

I also don't believe 10 hours is enough time to develop a good story for most FPS games.

Look, unless it's something I know will be good/a title to a series that I love, if I am going to blow 50 dollars on something that might be entirely mediocre or complete trash, I better get 15-20 hours out of it.

I also don't believe 10 hours is enough time to develop a good story for most FPS games.

Then make it a rental. You'll save money and still get to play it.

Singularity is actually a pretty long game. Certainly longer than many recent FPS games.

Singularity is actually a pretty long game. Certainly longer than many recent FPS games.

Wat?

I only got 6 hours outta it, though I am going to do a few more playthroughs just to get the other endings.

You do know you could just load right before the ending, and see all the alternate endings.
I am aware, but trying to get the most of the 60 bucks the game cost, a second playthrough seems logical.

Does this game not have a level/chapter select option? can't seem to find it....

With regard to the length- What about multiplayer? This is how FPS games are traditionally supposed to show you your money's worth. I would have thought this would be especially true of a game that tries to be deliberately old-skool.

I'll probably wait for a steam sale of some kind myself. I'm undecided on it.

Back