Sniper Sequence

Cheomesh

Reaction score
Did anyone else feel this sniper sequence in Ep2, before you get the car, was a bit "forced"? I think during the whole thing she killed like, 4 zombies. And the rifle was so ugly too...

lol your an idiot.....you either choose to kill them or let her kill them; whats so hard about that?

She killed loads when I played too, especially in the building you enter through the roof.

She kills very few in that warehouse if you don't remove the corrugated sheeting on the roof because... well, obviously.

Not so much... I've let her snap them off at leisure but I've also jumped straight in with the roof intact (such as it was) and got busy myself. What about it made you feel forced?

I thought the sniper sequence was pretty decent.. I was more disturbed that the sniper rifle needed a vort to operate..

I turned on the propane and let one of her rounds ignite the entire stairway.

i dont think valve ever went that far in physics. ive never seen a bullet ignite the gas

How else can you ignite them, then? That is, when there's no convenient red sparking button next to the gas valve.

I've always seen a bullet ignite the gas.

i dont think valve ever went that far in physics. ive never seen a bullet ignite the gas

They definitely do. Although come to think of it I forget if you have to be close to the gas when firing the weapon.

You just have to hit it. It's how the physics works.

They have. Its very fun :D
Also, I was on hard, so I was conserving ammo and just let alyx kill em.
I was going for that ahcievement where alyx snipes like, 30 enemies, before I realised that was for epi one :p

It's like, she shoots, but it takes here a while to kill enough of them. I removed the roof of that building but still felt like ages. Maybe they just weren't running her way when I played.

Still, that rifle was ugly, and in the strangest place...it really felt "out of place" to me. Could have been the GMan perhaps...

I thought the premise was quite good: Combine arrived and used the sniper to gun down the rebels as they made a run for the car. The sequence itself felt too much like filler though, and whilst it builds on the premise in Episode 1 it was just typical zombie gameplay.

That level was alright until you came literally face to face with a poison zombie in possibly the smallest room in all of the Half-Life games. The room with the zombie trapped behind a door by a chair. I can't go through a level knowing theres a room behind me that may possibly have an enemy in it that could end up following me and hitting me in the back when I'm not expecting it so I removed the chair. Chaos ensured. I think I may of killed myself by firing a RPG point blank into the poison zombie in a blind panic.

It's like, she shoots, but it takes here a while to kill enough of them. I removed the roof of that building but still felt like ages. Maybe they just weren't running her way when I played.
The game probably wouldn't be served well by her being 100% efficient. Gordon has to lift his finger some of the time...

I actually killed the sniper entity that makes everyone think it's alyx on my first playthrough

I was expecting a better clipping job from valve to prevent players from shooting him down :(

I actually killed the sniper entity that makes everyone think it's alyx on my first playthrough

I was expecting a better clipping job from valve to prevent players from shooting him down :(

So Alyx doesn't have an animation / ai script that makes her do all that?

Lmao, no.

It's a normal overwatch sniper from Half-Life 2, just set to not shoot the player.

You won't even beleive how many tricks and bullshits there are in HL2 and Episodes to make a scene beleivable.

So Alyx doesn't have an animation / ai script that makes her do all that?

Why would there be if you don't see it? :p

Games aren't made in that way. I mean, there's all kinds of things you think are happening, but aren't. It's damn good game design if you don't think it when playing.

Awesome. I thought I was going to be a cheap bastard by recycling stuff in any mod I ever made.

That was yet another great sequence

You have a lot of choices at this point, as usual. You can lure them into Alyx's sniper fire and let her blast away and clear them out, or you can use the explosive cans and barrels at this point to clean them out, or just use up all your shotgun ammo, which I never do. When you get to the building with the sheet metal roof you can blast all the metal off the roof with your Grav Gun and let Alyx clean them out, or waste a lot of ammo and just jump right in. There is one other alternative, just before you climb the ladder, there is a saw blade with a dead zombie on it stuck in the wall. You can carry this blade with you and clean out that whole shed with the one blade. I love the multiple options Valve gives in the game play.

She killed about 20 when I played. I'm pretty stingy with ammo.

Amen to that.
And yes, if you switch on the gas and then bait in a zombie Alyx will take it out and flambe him with the gas for you. I've toasted three zombies at the same time doing that. Or rather, Alyx did.

That level was alright until you came literally face to face with a poison zombie in possibly the smallest room in all of the Half-Life games. The room with the zombie trapped behind a door by a chair. I can't go through a level knowing theres a room behind me that may possibly have an enemy in it that could end up following me and hitting me in the back when I'm not expecting it so I removed the chair. Chaos ensured. I think I may of killed myself by firing a RPG point blank into the poison zombie in a blind panic.

1. You dont get the RPG until later
2. I fired an AR2 grenade into it and then shot the surviving headcrabs...

I liked the sequence, but I think I got something different out of the experience than what I read from any of the previous posts.

I think it was ment more as a tease. There has been a desire to use the sniper rifle since we first saw the weapon being used in HL2. Then Alyx used one in EP1, but we never got to use it ourselves. This time it seemed like the developers were taking the tease one step further. This time the let you see it, but ALAS! It is still unusable. Perhaps this is foreshadowing our being allowed to use it in EP3?

So I'm the only one who thought it was so ugly, and non-Combine looking?

The rifle? Nah, it looked really good and Combine. Someone must have thought Valve still used the concept from 2003.

Not likely...good effort, though.

Was that said in response to my post?

As for the look of the Combine sniper rifle, I though it looked more like the new phaser rifles in Star Trek.

ph_t3b.gif

1. You dont get the RPG until later
2. I fired an AR2 grenade into it and then shot the surviving headcrabs...

I must of fired a SMG grenade, then. Whatever it was, it was big and explosive, and it killed me. Didn't have any Pulse rifle grenades either, I presume I used them on the Antlion guards.

Yeah what effect do the pulse grenades have on guards? I never happened to have one when I needed it.

Also, last time I fired a pulse gren at a poison zombie, it BOUNCED OFF...wonder if it bugged.

Combine orbs bounce off antlion guards, but they still damage it.

I wanna see a Combine t00b weapon that fires those. Larger burst radius, but slower fire.

Back