So Dead Flesh Kills Barnacles?

LandStander

Reaction score
In the scene where you are trying to open your second electronically sealed door you have to crawl through the vents and you end up in a flooded elevator shaft with a burnt corpse. Barnacles extend their "tongues" to haul you up, and if they miss you they'll grab the corpse. Upon doing this the barnacles throw up their stomach contents and die.
Furthermore when a barnacle eats a zombie it will only ingest the head crab and avoid the dead flesh. This is very peculiar, but interesting...

I doubt you'd feel very good eating a dead body.

Maybe there's something in it...

Maybe we need Gordon to alter his HEV suit slightly to be covered in dead flesh.

Wolf in a sheep's clothing!

I've seen them drop rotting bodies but never chuck a fit and die.

I remember the exact same area your mentioning, but all the barnacles do is "taste" the body and drop it to the floor. Barnacles do not die from eating anything dead. (Though oddly enough, the refuse to eat the body of zombie as well).

Technically they only eat live NPCs.

Ragdolls and props will always be dropped even if they visually look tasty ingame.

Barnacles don't seem to like rotten flesh.

edit:
Technically they only eat live NPCs.

Ragdolls and props will always be dropped even if they visually look tasty ingame.
I thought they eat ragdolls fine. I mean, technically an npc is coded to death the moment it gets caught by a barnacles tongue.

They don't die. Was in the elevatar today which fell, the same one you're talking about no less, the Barnacle ate the corpse and lived. I think it's supposed to eat the corpse.

I thought they eat ragdolls fine. I mean, technically an npc is coded to death the moment it gets caught by a barnacles tongue.

Try shooting a npc who just got caught by a barnacle, they still take damage and yell in pain. NPCs are still alive before they get eaten, just in ragdoll form.

Try shooting a npc who just got caught by a barnacle, they still take damage and yell in pain. NPCs are still alive before they get eaten, just in ragdoll form.

To right. If you go on Gmod, and get someone caught on a barnacle, they are alive until the "Bite".

It's pretty amazing, watching the barnacle, swallow the human whole..

I'm pretty sure it dies when it eats the blackened corpse. Everyone is positive on what I'm talking about? Right at the room with all the trip and hopper mines...

To be honest I don't think I've seen a barnicle eat someone...do they gib like HL1 or something?

No, they just clip into the ceiling. Looks out of place in an otherwise bugless game.

And for me, they always just "reject' the burnt corpse. Never seen them die of it.

Still need to see what happens if they catch a poison headcrab.

I'm pretty sure it dies when it eats the blackened corpse. Everyone is positive on what I'm talking about? Right at the room with all the trip and hopper mines...

I just literally did it! Read the above post! It does not die!

Make it eat a hopper mine then YA FOOLs.

I'd also like to point out that the barnacle gibs most large npc in ep2, rather than eat them whole.

Didn't die for me. Acts like it was eating an inorganic object - it spat it out.

Ok maybe this is just on the 360 but the dead corpse killed two of the three barnacles(the ones in the light) and didn't kill the third(the one in the shade). The first barnacle bit the body spit it out, died, the second barnacle grabbed it before it hit the water and it died as well. When I got back to that spot a second corpse appeared in the shaft at which point the third barnacle bit it, but then just spit it back out. ???

you know sometimes it does die when it eats things, even inorganic objects. it might be a bug but it doesnt seem to happen all the time. i fed a group some wood and they died for some unknown reason.

Would explain that one part in the canals the first time I played.

Back