So I got pulled over by the Police...

So, yet another friend of mine has just been assaulted in the street in our local area. For having long hair.

I do love it here. -_-

I put my money on the Police doing nothing about it, too. Like literally nothing. No effort.

This is why I don't have a lot of faith in the law enforcement where I live. Stuff like this happens day in, day out, and nothing is ever done about it. People walk down the street looking over their shoulders. People in my village have even said to me they're afraid to walk to the local shops at times because they'll "probably get started on".

I hope people can understand why I made this thread in the first place. I know folks might think I was overreacting at being pulled over but I don't think people can blame me too harshly for not being happy about the way the Police operate where I live. F*ck this place, man.

where do you live? i had a hard time growing up in the outskirts of wolverhampton, but this village of yours is starting to sound more and more like a borough or suburb of a city. the village troublemakers here were a cause for concern when i was 13-17, but not these days

edit: oh i've read some more of the thread, mansfield. my grandparents used to live in sutton-in-ashfield so i've been there a lot in my youth. never had a problem myself, still not a great place though.

whilst i understand your concerns, especially after growing up in a place where getting attacking in the street for having long hair wasn't uncommon at all be it in the streets or in the school car park, it's a matter of not asking what the police should do, but how they can do it. it's as impractical as it is impossible to have a police presence in every street.

I say let them pull over anyone that could be DUIs due to the fatalities drunk drivers cause. I got pulled over for speeding once, and when I said I was the designated driver and passed the "follow my finger but don't move your head" test, he let me go and told me to slow down. CSB.

where do you live? i had a hard time growing up in the outskirts of wolverhampton, but this village of yours is starting to sound more and more like a borough or suburb of a city. the village troublemakers here were a cause for concern when i was 13-17, but not these days

edit: oh i've read some more of the thread, mansfield. my grandparents used to live in sutton-in-ashfield so i've been there a lot in my youth. never had a problem myself, still not a great place though.

whilst i understand your concerns, especially after growing up in a place where getting attacking in the street for having long hair wasn't uncommon at all be it in the streets or in the school car park, it's a matter of not asking what the police should do, but how they can do it. it's as impractical as it is impossible to have a police presence in every street.

Funnily enough, Sutton-In-Ashfield is where 2 of my friends have been assaulted without reason - the most recent that I just mentioned being the second. You're right about it being impossible to have a Police presence on the streets at all times but even when crimes that couldn't be stopped happen, the perpetrators are almost never brought to justice and even when caught don't often receive proper punishment (as I mentioned about the girl who glassed my friend in the face, scarred her for life and could've blinded her didn't even get fined, it was a verbal warning and a tap on the wrist).

This is why crime is so rife where I live. People know they can get away with it. Like I say, it's free to glass someone in the face but it costs £70 if the end of your cigarrette comes off onto the street in front of an Officer. That's just not good prioritising, no matter which way you look at it. Sure the Police can't be Superheros and sweep down to save everybody but if they can save themselves hassle and paperwork, they will and that has a negative impact.

It makes me genuinely angry and the worst part is all of the victims and people like me; most of them have given up even trying to defend themselves or trying to call the local authorities' methods into question or even ask the local councils what they can do about the constant crime. We know we can't do anything about it. All I can do is get pissed off and sit there and watch as my friends and family are robbed, assaulted and have their lives terrorised all the time.

It sounds dramatic but it's actually the stark reality. Especially with the elderly. Some of them are Goddamned terrified to even leave their houses for fear of being robbed as easy targets. Even when they walk past people like me. I'm about 6 foot tall, 21 (so pretty young) and have tattoos on both arms and some people will cross the street or keep their heads down walking past me just because they're used to being approached by thugs and they think at any moment I might produce a knife or shove them up against a wall, let alone snatch their wallets/handbags.

It's a judgemental stigma, yeah, but most young men like me are treated with caution by strangers in my locale because of what they're used to and that is violence. I don't think anybody should have to live with that constant idea in the back of their heads that at any moment they could be attacked. People just don't feel safe where I live and the surrounding areas. I don't blame them.

A guy was killed in the street a couple of months back in Mansfield. He had his head kicked in to the point where he suffered fatal brain damage. If people aren't killed they're severaly injured. I know a guy who had to have his face reconstructed with plates just because he asked people outside of his pub to keep the noise down. He still can't feel one side of his face. Even recently some youths walked into a pub casually with an array of blunt objects, beat the landlord over the head with them to the point of unconcioussness and casually walked out with the till money.

This has all been within the space of about 2 months. Have any of them been caught? None but the murderer. You gotta kill someone round here before it's considered misbehaving.

EDIT: So I just started a conversation with someone on my local council about this and got a statistic. In my village alone (and it's a very small village) in the last month there were 11 crimes and 18 nuisances. He said that he's going to be bringing the issue up in my local council's next meeting and is going to outline some plans to reduce crime in my village at least. I simply told him we need help.

To put that statistic into perspective, this area highlighted in red is the village in which my family reside:

tibby.png

Back