So this is how HL2 will download from STEAM..

Shockwave

Reaction score
i always figured we would have to download the full game of HL2 from STEAM before playing it. I wonder how this would be possible along with valve saying "you can buy the game online and be playing it within minutes"...Expecting HL2 to be around 2-2.5 gigs in size this just didnt sound right..

So today playing around with steam i figured i would fire up HL1 singleplayer ...It downloads the game as you play it..so thats cool

Sound good, how about when you "fomat c:", ? fee to download again or dose you have to pay for it again?

Originally posted by Insert
Sound good, how about when you "fomat c:", ? fee to download again or dose you have to pay for it again?

All your information is kept online, so there shouldn't be any fee if you have to download the game again.

That onloy shows you have no idea what steam is...

If they just wanted you to download it they'd give you an ftp, not steam.

Steam only downlaods what you need at the moment, so when you click "download HL2" it downloads the basic engine, hl2.exe, all the neccesary DLLs, and not much more.

You then enter the game, so it downloads the main menu.

You start a new game, and it downloads the first map along with all models and textures that are in the first map.

Then you go on, and it downloads more of the game as you go on...

I suppose it'll be a bit smarter than that, loading 2 levels or so in advance, to make loading as seamless as possible.

Steam is currently in a stress beta test, so all of you playing through steam cs1.6 and new tfc version know that there are big loading times and alot of downloading, but that is because they are making the clients download everything every time again, to stress test the system.

Half-life 2 will no way be 2-2.5 Gb I'm pretty certain it will fit onto one 700Mb CD remember Half-Life 2 will have no cinematics whatsoever it will be all scripted in-game. The install will be around 1 Gb

I know what steam is... ive had it for a year...

Ya it's those cinematics that make games so huge. Enter the Matrix for example.

-Straylight

i love the matrix game, i wonder how much of the game i have left....my goals this summer are to.... increase my max in bench abd become overally stronger, beat hl again, beat opposing force again, beat the matrix, and beat moh spearhead expansion.

Steam is the most absurd thing ever and you'd have to be a complete idiot to use it.

Why pay the same amount for the game on-line instead of getting it in a store?

Um, sorry people. I kinda want the jewel case, instruction manual, cd-key, and most importantly all the 3 gigs worth of program files on MY HARD-DRIVE, not being downloaded "whenever they're used". If that's really how "Steam" works, then good luck with using mods etc. ... God knows how that'll work. Hah. "Steam" my ass.

Everyone do me a favor, delete Steam from your PC's, and whatever you do don't buy Half-Life2 or any other game from it. Waste of friggin time.

Originally posted by MoD
That onloy shows you have no idea what steam is...

If they just wanted you to download it they'd give you an ftp, not steam.

Steam only downlaods what you need at the moment, so when you click "download HL2" it downloads the basic engine, hl2.exe, all the neccesary DLLs, and not much more.

You then enter the game, so it downloads the main menu.

You start a new game, and it downloads the first map along with all models and textures that are in the first map.

Then you go on, and it downloads more of the game as you go on...

I suppose it'll be a bit smarter than that, loading 2 levels or so in advance, to make loading as seamless as possible.

Steam is currently in a stress beta test, so all of you playing through steam cs1.6 and new tfc version know that there are big loading times and alot of downloading, but that is because they are making the clients download everything every time again, to stress test the system.

sorry but that makes absolutely no ****ing sense...since you'd have to be online to play the singleplayer part...

plus...it would seriously hamper your system if it was streamingly downloaded while playing....

correct me if I'm wrong...

but I'm pretty sure you'll download the whole shubang at once...and then in the future patches etc. will be downloaded automatically without you having to do anything....I think that's the deal...

Originally posted by PriNcE oF SpAcE
sorry but that makes absolutely no ****ing sense...since you'd have to be online to play the singleplayer part...

plus...it would seriously hamper your system if it was streamingly downloaded while playing....

correct me if I'm wrong...

but I'm pretty sure you'll download the whole shubang at once...and then in the future patches etc. will be downloaded automatically without you having to do anything....I think that's the deal...
Actually, I'm fairly sure MoD is fairly close to the reality of the situation there. Especially since broadband is 'always connected', it shouldn't be a very big deal being online to play the singleplayer part. I'm pretty sure it'll just 'stream' the video game along, as it'd save a LOT of bandwidth on their part. Course, I've never used steam, this is just from the little tidbits that I've gathered together. Just a guess, I suppose.

-Vert

I'm on a 1MB line...aand I'm not always on since I connect thru a hub/switch...

basically I think that the whole steam thing sounds stupid...

Originally posted by PriNcE oF SpAcE
I'm on a 1MB line...aand I'm not always on since I connect thru a hub/switch...

basically I think that the whole steam thing sounds stupid...
Well, considering Steam's performance thus far, I'd say most users of Steam would agree with you, heh. Being on dialup, I can't try it even if I wanted to.

-Vert

I was wondering how they were going to make people use steam. They just include it in the hl2 game, and if you want updates and bug fixes youll have to get them thru steam. Pretty smart business sense.

Something i really dont like about steam, and somone fill me in if im wrong. Just say that dod goes over to steam, meaning all its little bug fixes are instantly transmitted to you when you join a server. Great, good idea. What happens when they update a player model. Some of those things can be up to 8 mb. **** sitting there and waiting for them to slowly download before i play a game. And some people have download caps, and have to ration out their downloads per month.

I also worked out that dod2 you will have to pay for as an addon to half life 2. If you want the free one, youll have to keep playing dod1. Sell outs.

I'm not too happy about the whole Steam idea. I'd much rather pay $60 for something that I can physically own, not download from the net. Even if they sell it for $20 less to download, I'm still going to buy it in the box ...

Don't know why .. maybe I'm just getting old ;(

Yes ill definatly be buying the full physical game. I dont mind getting updates thru steam though, as long as there are australian servers to get it from.

Plus no doubt the game will come in some solid gold box with a t-shirt. Ohh baby.

Back