So what happened to Breen? (spoilers)

Absinthe

The Freeman
Reaction score
After you pwn the Citadel, Breen crashes down in his bubble thing and says "No!". Is the man dead? Did he survive? Or is he going to get creamed when the citadel finally breaks the **** up?

I don't think there was anything conclusive enough for me to accept that he's dead. I would personally love to see him again in HL3. He was a twisted monster, but he was smart, up-front, and he had a charm to him that made it difficult for me to completely hate him and instead harbor a kind of sympathy for his delusional mind. Breen has the potential to make some seriously interesting material in HL3, and I'd hate to have him be killed off.

my guess is that he somehow survived, only parts of his body got teleported, and he needs biomechanical parts, so he wants revenge on grodon

I want him to return, i dont think he died..although his bubble did descend pretty fast and his voice was rather weak..."No...you need me."

And then who knows? although the reactor spire his bubble is sitting in looks like its about to get creamed :)

I like to think the Resistance found his bubble in the wreckage of the Citadel ;)

I hope he died. I prefer to put a gun against the head of anybody that stands in my way, shoot first, shoot second, shoot some more then maybe ask questions

Breen being the main bad guy in the next game seems unlikely, you have already toppled the best Breen had to throw at you in HL2, would you really want to do that again? Hopefully we will get to see a full scale combine invasion of earth, I'm talking Independence Day style here. ;)

Oh no, I never said I wanted Breen to be the main bad guy. His conversations with the creature on the screen hint at something far greater.

I would, however, like him to return. Maybe as a bad guy. Maybe as a prisoner.

...Maybe as somebody that eventually joins your side? Breen did strike me as a man capable of being redeemed.

how do u get past that part where ur at the top of the portal im stuck i shoot at him but nothing happens

Breen. Is. Dead.
No arguments here. The citadel = t3h screwed. I think you guys missed it when the top of the thing blew...that's just a taste of what's to come, for Alyx, Breen, Eli, Mossman...

I think a person once said that a dark energy reactor blowing would result in an explosion that rivals a nuclear blast.
Breen isn't making it out alive.
Which is unfortunate, because he is the only one standing between the Combine and the human race. Earth is doomed now.
We have 2 possible endings to HL3:
1. Earth is destroyed
2. The dimensional rift caused by the Black Mesa incident is repaired and the link from the Combine world to Earth is destroyed.

Saying Breen "is the only one standing between the Combine and the human race" is like saying the Jewish elders were the only thing standing between the ovens and the Warsaw ghetto inhabitants.

It's all up to Freeman. Where ever he may be.

dacarr02 said:
Saying Breen "is the only one standing between the Combine and the human race" is like saying the Jewish elders were the only thing standing between the ovens and the Warsaw ghetto inhabitants.

It's all up to Freeman. Where ever he may be.
Like Gordon Freeman is going to defeat the entire Combine army :rolleyes:

:sniper: @ 500 striders!
Striders pwnt!!1

well, the current score (combine vs Freeman) is
couple thousand Soldiers, 6 Striders, 5 Gunships, 1 Helicopter and a few jeeps-thingies to 0. That was just one man...

The dimensional rift caused by the Black Mesa incident is repaired and the link from the Combine world to Earth is destroyed.

Thier link to earth is already destroyed, with the dark fusion reactor in pieces they cant "tunnel" through from there universe.

Which is unfortunate, because he is the only one standing between the Combine and the human race. Earth is doomed now.

No, breen already handed over earth, the humans were being transformed into mindless abominations with combine technology anyway...and we aint breeding etc..breens speeches givemost away..he thinks the combine is best for us...so yeah...i dont thnik breens death will make much difference

Spencerjrus wrote:
Hopefully we will get to see a full scale combine invasion of earth, I'm talking Independence Day style here.

That wont happen because theres nothing left to invade, the combine already invaded full force thats why our forces were left in a smoldering pile of dust after 7 hours of war..the human population is at an all tiem low (were almost wiped out), the world has been ravaged by xen wildlife and theres only a few cities left (24 is it?) and theyre all under combien control...no point in invading again..earhts doen for...they have already sucked up our resources as well....tiem for the next planet i think

Thier link to earth is already destroyed, with the dark fusion reactor in pieces they cant "tunnel" through from there universe.
Ehm...the dark fusion reactor was on Earth. I have to ask, if that was the case and it was only created after they got here...how did they get here in the first place?
Make much sense you don't.
That wont happen because theres nothing left to invade, the combine already invaded full force thats why our forces were left in a smoldering pile of dust after 7 hours of war..the human population is at an all tiem low (were almost wiped out), the world has been ravaged by xen wildlife and theres only a few cities left (24 is it?) and theyre all under combien control...no point in invading again..earhts doen for...they have already sucked up our resources as well....tiem for the next planet i think
If that were the case, there would be no point in Half Life 3. Unless it's a gigantic bug hunt.
HL3: Kill all headcrabs!

If that were the case, there would be no point in Half Life 3. Unless it's a gigantic bug hunt.

Well that is the case, who knows what gman has left for you...dont think the combine are going to leave it at that...i say its off to the combine universe...just use your imagination.

Ehm...the dark fusion reactor was on Earth. I have to ask, if that was the case and it was only created after they got here...how did they get here in the first place?Make much sense you don't.

Indeed the reactor was on earth, but mossman clearly says they tunnel through from there universe, and alyx says that the reacto powers there tunneling entanglement device..so they need it to tunnel through from tehre universe.

Its most likley during the portal storm they came through and set it up then, so theycould have a single, complete portal of which to tunnel there technology through...of which they cant actually get themselves throught he portal...and thats why they want eli's portal technology

MiccyNarc said:
Breen. Is. Dead.
No arguments here. The citadel = t3h screwed. I think you guys missed it when the top of the thing blew...that's just a taste of what's to come, for Alyx, Breen, Eli, Mossman...

Are you saying that Alyx, Eli, and Mossman are also dead?

I somehow find that unlikely. I doubt they'd spend years creating these characters only to kill them all off in one big explosion. Especially Alyx, of all of them. Besides, if the explosion actually killed them, I think it would have been made a tad more obvious. Starting off Half-Life 3 only to find out to find that everybody you know is dead doesn't strike me as a good way of pleasing your fans.

If those characters can live, I don't see why Breen can't.

If Alyx/Eli/Mossman are alive, it's because the Gman saved them, I don't see why he would do the same for Breen.

spencerjrus said:
If Alyx/Eli/Mossman are alive, it's because the Gman saved them, I don't see why he would do the same for Breen.

Possibly. Then again, we have little reason to believe that the G-Man would do such a thing for them.

Bah, I don't know. :\

Several things could have happend, and tbh, i really think valve are keeping them alive for half life 3, because they are really interesting and it would eb great for valve to flesh them out soem more.

If anyone were to die, i could see eli and mossman bieng dead, because it might be difficult to get eli out, and like mossman said "i wont leave you again eli"

So that might imply that they would die together.

If those characters can live, I don't see why Breen can't.
But..Absinthe. How could they survive?
Well that is the case, who knows what gman has left for you...dont think the combine are going to leave it at that...i say its off to the combine universe...just use your imagination.
Sounds like a hopeless battle. You leave a now-safe planet Earth, to goto the hostile combine world, a very hostile area, one in which a human cannot survive (remember Breen's words as you were going up the elevator?). Not only that, but you are surrounded by some of the worst enemies in anyone's nightmares.
Indeed the reactor was on earth, but mossman clearly says they tunnel through from there universe, and alyx says that the reacto powers there tunneling entanglement device..so they need it to tunnel through from tehre universe.

Its most likley during the portal storm they came through and set it up then, so theycould have a single, complete portal of which to tunnel there technology through...of which they cant actually get themselves throught he portal...and thats why they want eli's portal technology
They want Eli's tech so they don't have to depend on local transportation to get around anymore. It's apparent that the Combine already were at Xen (controlling Nihilanth and the Vortigaunts.). How did they get there? Did they have a Dark Fusion reactor there, and was it destroyed by some valiant vortigaunt? Or what?

I love Breen, it'd be great if they could somehow write him into the sequel. I just love the voice acting. :)

i think gordons gonna come back a really long time later and see alyx as an old lady

They want Eli's tech so they don't have to depend on local transportation to get around anymore. It's apparent that the Combine already were at Xen (controlling Nihilanth and the Vortigaunts.). How did they get there? Did they have a Dark Fusion reactor there, and was it destroyed by some valiant vortigaunt? Or what?

They used the Nihalinth, it look like he has been augmented with combine tech just like the stalkers, its him who kept the protals open afterall.

Sounds like a hopeless battle. You leave a now-safe planet Earth, to goto the hostile combine world, a very hostile area, one in which a human cannot survive (remember Breen's words as you were going up the elevator?). Not only that, but you are surrounded by some of the worst enemies in anyone's nightmares.

Well i dont think the gman gives a toss where he sends you. Also earth isnt safe at all. Theres a few cities left, still under combine control, its not like C17has been completely liberated (christ if the fusion reactor does blow worse than a nulcear reactor, i doubt there would be much left to liberate) and the countrysides and everywhere else is a breeding ground for xen wildlife..jsut like coast....and theres no resources left on earht since they have been abosrbed by the combine..and theres not really mcuh of a population..

Earths a dreadful place. I feel sorry for it

They used the Nihalinth, it look like he has been augmented with combine tech just like the stalkers, its him who kept the protals open afterall.
How did they find out about nihilanth, and I'd like to know where you heard he kept the portals open..
Well i dont think the gman gives a toss where he sends you.
Of course not. But if he drops you off in the combine homeworld, Gordon = dead in the first second of HL3. Thereby getting the prize for the shortest game ever.
Theres a few cities left, still under combine control, its not like C17has been completely liberated (christ if the fusion reactor does blow worse than a nulcear reactor, i doubt there would be much left to liberate)
Another one of my points. Basically, no matter what, Earth is doomed.
Sounds like HL3 is going to be crap.. I'd really like to know where Valve is going with it.

Well, I reckon the Combine control many worlds... hundreds, thousands... hell, even millions for all I know. We don't know where Breen/Gordon would've turned up if Mr. Freeman really was recruited to take the battle to them directly, but with a HEV suit he might stand a chance in a potentially human-hostile environment.

Anyway, I don't care how Valve write them in, but I'd like to see every major NPC in HL2 returning.

Couple of factors to consider- Breen could've been lying, and the destruction of the dark energy reactor wouldn't destroy absolutely everything (unlikely). Possibly the G-man intervenes in some way- considering he can arrange for reality itself to grind to a halt and teleport you great distances in time and space, I wouldn't put it past him! Breen's teleportation may not have been a total failure... the "singularity bubble" could've protected him from utter obliteration, or even allowed him to teleport to an undisclosed location as an unexpected side effect of the wannabe resonance cascade...

In the first HL, is where they say the Nihilanth is keeping the portal open....

I agree about Earth bein fuxed though, wonder how we'll see an end to HL3

/me prays theres nothing lame like time travel or all of it being a dream

How did they find out about nihilanth, and I'd like to know where you heard he kept the portals open..

The final bit in lambda, where you the scientist holds the shotgun up to you, just before you travel to xen. He says that theres a mass concentration over there thats keepign the portals open

Of course not. But if he drops you off in the combine homeworld, Gordon = dead in the first second of HL3. Thereby getting the prize for the shortest game ever.

Well it would be the first to reicieve such an award...so that must be something? I dont think it means the entire of the combine universe, i mean it may just be that particular spot/planet, but you never know. I dont think it will be set on earth. Also its obvious it must only be that spot, because breens already been to the combine universe..remember he is explaining it to eli? "Gas giants...inhabited by vast meteorogical intelligances, worlds strech thin across the membranes where the dimensions intersect...impossible to describe with your limited vocabulary."

/me prays theres nothing lame like time travel or all of it being a dream

Me prays too, i really hope they dont, but valve are to clever for that...i think

I'm sure I read somewhere that Alyx is going to be in Half Life 3, so unless she turns up in a body bag I'm guessing she survives.
As for Breen, you didn't see him die, so its possible he survives some how.

Itd be cool for him to return as a cyborg Combine.

By the look of the expolsion eminating from the Combine Universe Tunneling Portal and the fact that there was a giant "fusion reactor" sitting atop the tower that was crashing down as the Gman stopped time, I think its safe to assume that not only did Breen not survive, but the surrounding 500 miles in every direction took rather a hefty vaporising soon after.

I very much doubt if you will see Alyx or Breen again, unless you go back in time and save her in HL3... hmmmm?

Yes, I think its safe to say, that after a fusion reactor toples' into a collapsing inter universal tunneling portal, City 17 is a memory. Unless the portal sucked all of the energy into the Combine universe and f**ked there little emmiter things you could see through the portal, or somthing like that.

did anyone actually seen Breen's death?
or Eli's?
or Alyx'?

no

I say that Breen is alive, he may have survived in that singularity bubble he was in. he also could get sucked into the portal when it exploded. we actually don't know what kind of explosion was this, maybe it's side effect was that everything in it's closest perimeter got teleported to the combine homeworld or some other place unknown.
hey, the whole citadel could be sucked out, with Eli, Mossman, Breen and possibly Alyx (if G-man didn't take her with him earlier) onboard.

buy actually what we're doing here is like blind men talking about colours...

there is the same probability that they are dead as there is that they are alive. no clues whatsoever, besides our wishes and/or speculations.

all the science that we here TRY to understand is yet theoretical at best, if not strictly fictional.
that said - anything can happen

only thing that I'm absoluttely sure of is that VALVE will come out with something that we are not even close to imagine at the moment.

after all - for 5 years after HL we didn't have a goddamn clue about what was going to happen in HL2. tbh I wish this time around it will be just the same...
there's nothing like a good/shocking/unexpected surprise ;)

I didn't see anything to point to the citadel being destroyed, if the fusion reactor DID explode...it would have been a much bigger explosion, and in a much quicker time. It only looks like the teleporter over loaded and exploded. And where does it say that the reactor powering the citadel is at the top, it just wouldn't make sense, at least to me...

oberGeist said:
he also could get sucked into the portal when it exploded. we actually don't know what kind of explosion was this, maybe it's side effect was that everything in it's closest perimeter got teleported to the combine homeworld or some other place unknown.
hey, the whole citadel could be sucked out, with Eli, Mossman, Breen and possibly Alyx (if G-man didn't take her with him earlier) onboard.
It's not the portal that explodes, it's the reactor that powers it.
If you replay the ending, you'll see that the portal closes when you fire the last energy ball into it. There's a few seconds of silence (well, besides Alyx talking), and then the reactor blows.

Valve aren't stupid, they wouldn't kill Alyx off. Lets just look how things stand,

Gorden survives Black Mesa, he's forced into working for G-Man or fight an un-winnable fight.

At the end of HL2 he doesn't have a chooice, if I was G-Man and knowing Freeman's powers I would want to keep him forever.

Eventually Freeman will resist G-Man's orders and what better way for G-Man to control Freeman than using Alex as hostage bait.

"Do this or the girl gets it!" - That kinda of attitude.

Archangel said:
well, the current score (combine vs Freeman) is
couple thousand Soldiers, 6 Striders, 5 Gunships, 1 Helicopter and a few jeeps-thingies to 0. That was just one man...

Well, true. But let's not forget Barney and the Resistance fighters for the past 10 YEARS! I'm sure good-old Barney took care of a few striders and gunships, too.

He got hurt badly in the teleport accident and needs parts for his body. So now hes all bionic with a mask and a cape. So later on when Gordon confronts him he says: "Gordon ... I am your father"

HateCrime said:
Well, true. But let's not forget Barney and the Resistance fighters for the past 10 YEARS! I'm sure good-old Barney took care of a few striders and gunships, too.

Gordan had three days.

Back