Soldier of Fortune: Payback Hands-On

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the COD4 engine :S

Still, SoF was always about disgusting ways of blowing people to bits, and hopefully this will be no different. Nobody cared about the story in the first and second games, so ***k it, keep dismembering people!

Oh! I thought you never ask.

Here's a review from IGN

The gore looks fairly simplistic... :|
In the past SoF games, you could shoot off fingers and chunks off of bodies and blast them in the chest and leave a hole there and have their intestines spill out.

In this it looks like all you can do is blast off arms, legs and their head and release copious amounts of blood.

This is one of those games, like Postal, that seems to just be progressively getting worse with each instalment. :eek:

God! guys, give the game some break ... its doing all it can to be attractive.

In the past SoF games, you could shoot off fingers and chunks off of bodies and blast them in the chest and leave a hole there and have their intestines spill out.

In this it looks like all you can do is blast off arms, legs and their head and release copious amounts of blood.

Yup so true. I want to be able to cut a guys head into 8 pieces and see BRAINSSSS!!!! Or shoot his stomach with a shotgun and see him try and hold his intestines in.

Good old SOF2 days!

QFT, FFS look what Raven made - JUST for gore. GHOUL II was amazing in Jedi Knight II / SOFII

Wikipedia said:
The series' focal point, graphic depiction of human bodily dismemberment, makes another appearance in Soldier of Fortune II. GHOUL 2.0, as the new engine was called, features 36 gore zones, allowing for increasingly detailed depictions of gore and carnage. A shot to the head can now blow away a chunk of scalp and expose the dripping brain beneath, and blown-off limbs will reveal jutting bones and spurting blood. At the same time, the gore was fashioned more believably, stylistically, than in the original game. More firepower is required to dismember or inflict open wounds.

This isn't the first time SOF was trashed.

The second sequel of SOF was trashed, but did extreme well in market.
SOF stands; as one of the different unique games out there that you either love or hate. Nothing in between.

If you loved the first SOF, you'll love the third, and if you didn't, then you wont. Just like Halo, HL, WOW, BF and Etc; It has it's own loving community.
You can't hate it and then all of the certain, just start loving it. Its Soldier of Fortune.

Take Care.

This isn't the first time SOF was trashed.

The second sequel of SOF was trashed, but did extreme well in market.
SOF stands; as one of the different unique games out there that you either love or hate. Nothing in between.

If you loved the first SOF, you'll love the third, and if you didn't, then you wont. Just like Halo, HL, WOW, BF and Etc; It has it's own loving community.
You can't hate it and then all of the certain, just start loving it. Its Soldier of Fortune.

Take Care.

You act as if you've had experience playing the game before. They haven't so much as released a demo (even on Xbox LIVE). Keep in mind that the first two games were developed by the almost-always-trustworthy Raven Software - if this game was also in production at Raven it would already be on my extensive pre-order list.

How can you blindly cheer lead for a game over a few in-game videos and extremely short winded previews? - the developer has a track record almost exclusively consisting of budget titles in the past, fss.

It's entirely possible that Activision predicted the franchise's demise, Raven had no interest in developing a sequel (as they are hard at work on an IP) and handed small chunk of change over to Couldron in hopes of seeing fiscal results in milking the franchise at the ridiculous 60 dollar price point on the "next-gen" consoles. It's even predictable seeing as the PC version is 40 dollars - 10 under the standard USD price of an AAA game, especially from a company like Activision. It's like they're going into it knowing they will disappoint their PC fanbase.

Pay Back is NOT the "SOF we all know and love", the only media released depicts small portions of mediocre seeming single-player (and absolutely no footage yet release of the multi-player, not to mention any other settings than the bland, generic desert.

Wait for reviews and more hands-on impressions before jumping on this game over the name "Soldier of Fortune".

You act as if you've had experience playing the game before. They haven't so much as released a demo (even on Xbox LIVE). Keep in mind that the first two games were developed by the almost-always-trustworthy Raven Software - if this game was also in production at Raven it would already be on my extensive pre-order list.

How can you blindly cheer lead for a game over a few in-game videos and extremely short winded previews? - the developer has a track record almost exclusively consisting of budget titles in the past, fss.

It's entirely possible that Activision predicted the franchise's demise, Raven had no interest in developing a sequel (as they are hard at work on an IP) and handed small chunk of change over to Couldron in hopes of seeing fiscal results in milking the franchise at the ridiculous 60 dollar price point on the "next-gen" consoles. It's even predictable seeing as the PC version is 40 dollars - 10 under the standard USD price of an AAA game, especially from a company like Activision. It's like they're going into it knowing they will disappoint their PC fanbase.

Pay Back is NOT the "SOF we all know and love", the only media released depicts small portions of mediocre seeming single-player (and absolutely no footage yet release of the multi-player, not to mention any other settings than the bland, generic desert.

Wait for reviews and more hands-on impressions before jumping on this game over the name "Soldier of Fortune".

Q. F. M. F. T.

Although, if anything... it looks like it'll be fun as hell to play.
Just ignore the Soldier of Fortune branding.

Your point is well made and I do see where you coming from with this.

Yes I did play previous SOFs and love them both SP and MP, therefore am devoted fan.

True, Activision did throw this sequel into the hands of not very well known "value" studio, but for what reason?
There are many twists and turns in any market/business, and this could very well be for two reasons. IMHO.

Raven (As we know) is pretty busy with lame console games; like X-men and such, which nitpicky younger generation could buy a 2 dozen genetically designed RPG. Magic and rollerskating games for every 2-3 months. Actually for developer and publisher; that's where the money is. and I have nothing against it.

This (In my theory #1) is where a "value" studios come into play; picking it up where giant studios have left it; to prove to the publisher, that, they have ability to continue such a project. And make something out of themselves.
Remember; Raven was once a "Value" like in 1994? It was RTCW and Quake that made Raven (Games like: Quake, SOF, RTCW and Star Trek).

And this (In my theory #2) is where, a man named Jack Thompson shows up. This man is one of the few men who actually believe; the kids are very, very dumb, and video games control their lives, and they will become like zombies and start killing.
SOF2 did suffer such a crusade, back in 2002, and actually made it to the local 5 o'clock news, when it was released. Had so many negative review such as; This game was solely developed for blowing up limbs and watching a man suffer his way to death, gruesome and gory, no decent stories attached. Only someone who laughs at a dying person would enjoy.
Most reviewer gave 8-8.5 max. Some described the game as "Shoot em all, watch em die" type. The game was almost banned in US.
Raven does not like to get into, yet, another controversy game again. Activision does not want to pay top dollar for something they think may get banned in US, Europe (Germany is close to banning), Australia (Which already banned} and the far east (Which does not allow any type of blood).
This is where "value" sees the ball. A perfect hit and its a home-run, a strike and no one looses a lot.
Look at "Value" as the kid who loves to prove himself to the coach.

There reason why SOF-PB was kept in classified "For your eyes only" situation, and no demo is provided, few SS, couple of trailers; so close to release date. An announcement little over month and, no adds. While Activision has another batter in the field (COD4); is for the same reason I have stated above; to hide it from jack Thompson wannabees out there.

Please read this article

Link

Take Care.

Remember; Raven was once a "Value" like in 1994? It was RTCW and Quake that made Raven (Games like: Quake, SOF, RTCW and Star Trek).

Take Care.

You've got you're facts wrong, only The Star Trek Elite force and SOF series were made by Raven...

Quake - Id software
RTCW - Grey Matter studios

The first games that Raven ever did were Heretic and Hexen

Take Care

Wiki said:
List of games

Quake, RTCW ??? (You didn't say Quake 4)

Take Care

s640x480

TAKE CARE

Lol after reading the last two pages of this thread I wanna say take care also dam it! So.....take care.

Enough with the ****ing pictures! Holy shit.

I want you to die JBails. Not only for calling 'incident', but for also reminding me of this abomination of a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back