Something very wrong with my gigabyte x800xt...

seed007

Reaction score
I have a p4 3.0ghz, 1gb of ram, and an x800xt made by giga-byte.

I just got the x800xt today.

There were some video glitches to start with (when I booted up my pc) and when I tried the Stress Test (1600x1200, 6xAA, all gfx settings high, no AF) my FPS was 10??? Whats wrong???

Firstly get the latest drivers? That can easily give you an extra 10fps. Next thing i would look at is what processes your running etc? But even so, i have 3Ghz, 1GB, and a Ti4200, and i get 40-50fps.

Look in the overdrive tab (in x800xt properties) to check the temperature. If its high make sure the fan on the card is spinning, if its not check the fan is plugged in properly and give it a little push to see if that starts it.
Are you getting artifacts/snow? Did you use driver cleaner properly before installing the card?
edit: and why are you using no af? I dont understand why people dont always put af on max unless they have really bad fps.. it doesnt really affect performance and it improves the graphics more than aa does imo.

Have you installed the motherboard drivers?? You need drivers for the agp port ..

Ok the X800XT is a damn good card... but its not good enough to run HalfLife2 (VST) at 1600x1200 with 6xAA and all your settings on Maximum because damn that is ripping your card apart

try setting it on these settings 1600x1200 2xAA and 8xAF your game will run better and look nicer! also did you have a geforce card before hand if so use a program called detonator destroyer or something like that

which gets rid of all the drivers the nvidia uninstall leaves behind also check the temps etc!

Andy

edit: jsut had a quick read and with the catalyst 4.10's and windows xp service pack two causes corruption on loading windows... no solution yet...

I just got a gigabyte X800xt and am using it with a brand new gigabyte 8i915p pro motherboard.

Counterstrike:source won't run anymore - it says "cannot initialize video mode - resetting to defaults", then it tries with the defaults and responds "your hardware must support directx 7 or above" and that's it.. no counterstrike, and presumably no halflife2.

All the latest drivers are installed, all the latest windows updates are installed.

The card works fine with the original halflife, counterstrike and also with BF1942 and BF:Vietnam.

edit: I should qualify that this PC is brand new, and Steam is a brand new install and download from scratch, nothing has been copied from pre-existing machines. If I install a quadro FX1300 instead of the x800xt it runs CS:source fine.

mistakes

2 mistakes u guys made.

first you bought intel intstead of amd
second you bought radeon rather than geforce.
corrrect those 2 mistakes then frag on.

amd64 3200, 1 gig, gef 6800 128meg, asus ka8v se deluxe mb, atx blade case with neon lights, 450 watt p/s.

i get 127 fps on cs source at 1024 res with 4x and 8x on and everything hi...

nyorker said:
2 mistakes u guys made.

WRONG. Those statements are flawed and misleading.

Ontopic: I don't have that bad as fps as you and I have a X800 Pro, I really want to know what VALVe did that more than half the X800's aren't working at full potential. Hell my gpu rarely goes over 2 degrees when playing CS:S, and I can tell its not even pushing the card anywhere close to its limits. I don't know what to tell you, just hope valve can fix the issue.

seed007 said:
I have a p4 3.0ghz, 1gb of ram, and an x800xt made by giga-byte.

I just got the x800xt today.

There were some video glitches to start with (when I booted up my pc) and when I tried the Stress Test (1600x1200, 6xAA, all gfx settings high, no AF) my FPS was 10??? Whats wrong???

The first thing that comes to mind is a bad driver install. You need to make sure that all traces of your previous card's drivers are removed from your system, then install catalyst drivers fresh. Definitely look into the 4.1/sp2 compatibility issue noted above.

What a stupid, pointless thing to say! The fact is, ATI and Nvidia BOTH have excellent products. Nvidia is currently slightly faster in benchmarks, but that wasn't always the case in the past, and it likely won't be in the future. Nvidiot!:rolleyes:

My XP3000/Radeon 9500 rig scores 78fps at those settings, and you spent HOW MUCH on your beloved Geforce that you run at low res? do you honestly believe the human eye can tell the difference between those framerates?

Ok the X800XT is a damn good card... but its not good enough to run HalfLife2 (VST) at 1600x1200 with 6xAA and all your settings on Maximum because damn that is ripping your card apart

More nonsense! Just out of curiousity I ran the VST at 1600x1200, high detail, 6xAA, 16xAF on my rig, and I scored 23.29fps. (37.96fps if I reduce to 2xAA) If my XP3000/9500softmod can do that, an X800 should have no trouble delivering solid performance. It certainly won't get "ripped apart"!

TheRook said:

Thats spokker jones... I have a 9800 Pro, Athlon 2400+ (333fsb) 1gb ram, and i get aprox 70fps(don't remember exact number) on the stress test @ 1600x1200 6xaa 16as... so the X800XT is surely FAR better than a 9800Pro.

Yeah Right !!!

nyorker said:
2 mistakes u guys made.

amd64 3200, 1 gig, gef 6800 128meg, asus ka8v se deluxe mb, atx blade case with neon lights, 450 watt p/s.

Im using a 6800 ultra on a P4 3.0 1Gb ram corsair and no matter what drivers i use nor what Video settings I use I get 40 to 70 F***ing Fps ! tried every possible solution and nothing...
(look up my last 5 posts for details)

have u installed ur motherboard drivers?

i had it with my old pc my brother forgot to install them.

and games where i usually had 60+fps i had 10-30 fps

The crappiest thing in my pc is the motherboard (asrock P4vt8) but I have the latest drivers.
Don´t thinks thats the prob cause I tried it on another Pc that has a ausus P4P800 Mobo and got the same results.
The XFX Tech support suggest i go to my reseller and get another card ! guess thats what ill try next... put in another card just like mine and see the results.
I Might a defected card or maybe its just a compatability issue with source engine !
Anyways gonna take my card to reseller and I might get lucky and score a new card hehehehe

Back