Low FPS in L4D but not in TF2

Shamrock

Companion Cube
Reaction score
I realize that L4D is running on an improved Source engine, but that doesn't give it the right to be a jerk to me. Regardless of settings, it will run at around 30 FPS and then grow about 4 and then dip about 20. When a new area loads, it drops all the way to 10 and sits there. When I am incapped, it drops all the way to 10 and sits there.

TF2 plays at my highest resolution, 1920x1080, perfectly with 2x AA/AF and the rest of the settings on high/very high. I also have tried different resolutions with L4D, but that's not curing any of the problems. I don't know what the hell it is.

Right now, I'm reinstalling it, but I'm not quite sure if that will do anything at all.

Specs:
C2D P8400 2.26 GHz
4 GB DDR3
512MB 9800M GTS
Windows 7

Don't get me wrong, my laptop isn't the greatest to play video games, but it is damn amazing and can play a lot of current games at fairly awesome settings. Anyway, what the hell is my problem? It can't be the drivers because most if not all of my other games work correctly.

Reinstalling L4D now, but I'm welcome to hear anything you've got to help me!

Thanks HALPLYF32DOUGHTNAYT

turn off the film grain effect. when i did this my game ran a lot faster!

Maybe when you stop shooting me the game will stop punishing you!

turn off the film grain effect. when i did this my game ran a lot faster!

Tried. Totally didn't work. Worked for a second, dropped to 20 FPS then proceeded to drop to 10 and sit there. The thing is, it's not overheating as I've played on here for hours upon hours and it was fine. It's during certain events that it's just like.. **** YOU and drops my FPS. I just did another test where I had EVERY setting on the lowest or off except for my resolution, and I was receiving over 100 frames and then they dropped to 60 then to 40 then to 20 and then 10 where it say.

Regardless if there was action on or off the screen, that's what it did.

I'm really uncertain what to do now.

Back