Sony cancels The Getaway PS3 and Eight Days

jimbo118

Reaction score
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sony-cancels-eight-days-and-the-getaway

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has announced that it has stopped production on two PlayStation 3 titles that were in development at the Sony London Studio - Eight Days and The Getaway.

A statement from the Corporation read as follows: "It has been agreed that production of both Eight Days and The Getaway will cease immediately due to the redistribution of resources and budget.

"This decision was made following an internal review of all games and it was deemed that with the incredibly strong list of exclusive first party titles coming up both this year and in the near future, resource should be reallocated to enhance those projects closer to completion.

:| hmmm never heard much about Eight Days tbh but with The Getaway, it seemed like Sony were well behind it.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/126038/eight_days_e3_2k6_trailer/

Sony thinks they've got so many great first party games that they can cancel some of the other ones? ****ing weird.

Good riddance, the previous Getaways were average at best..

Somehow I'm not saddened. At all.

The less unimpressive shooting/driving games the better. I'll stick to GTA.

Getaway? Meh.

The 8 Days news saddens me as it sounded like a really cool concept for a game. Too ambitious? Maybe.

I wonder how much influence GTA's recent success has had on decisions like these and the recent Saint's Row 2 delay.

I would also like to see that list of other great exclusive games they are working on....

God knows how much money they've put into MGS4. No wonder that they've canceled those titles.
If that bombs, bye bye profit.

TwwIX, erm what? Sony are neither developing, publishing nor funding the development of MGS4, so I have no idea what you're on about..

Exactly.

It's these that I am extremely curious about: "the incredibly strong list of exclusive first party titles coming up both this year and in the near future..."

I honestly found myself enjoying The Getaway, came out during a time when console game developers were too good to have any story at all and the original The Getaway seemed decent.

Didn't try the second one, but I hear it sucked.

I thought more games the better? Also didn't these games have very good ideas? I mean the people who were making those games make some of the singing games for the playstation. So god knows what they are working on instead.

TwwIX, erm what? Sony are neither developing, publishing nor funding the development of MGS4, so I have no idea what you're on about..

Developing, publishing? No. Funding? Maybe not officially but they certainly are involved in it. The future of this console depends entirely on the success of this game. You can bet your ass that they are funding it.

I find this very disappointing. I never heard of 8 Days but I really liked the first Getaway. Black Monday was awful but the first one was pretty damn good and definitely underrated. I really hope they're diverting development funds to something really worthwhile and not a bunch of useless Singstar and Eyetoy games.

And a pre-emptive "**** off" to a certain douchebag.

^LOLWUTUSAYWHIPPAHSNAPPAH!?!?

Anyway, TwwIX, fair enough, though I doubt they'd be able to keep it underwraps that Sony was funding MGS4.;)

Yeah, the E3 video wasn't half bad. There was also a tech demo showing off something about individual bullet holes in cars or something. Wonder what went wrong with it.

Back