sorry Valve no more purches from me.

W

Windybut

Having bought, played and loved Half-Life. I thought as soon as I saw Half-Life2 advertised that I would buy it on release. Well like so many others I installed the game only to have Steam update then the game update too:flame:. This took about 2 hours so I was very disappointed by this. Why? Well if the game required such a large download then it should not have been released before it was ready. As for that “verifying Half-Life2” from steam:flame: well I hate that I bought a game that needs to verified online before I play it.

So that means as long as you insist on using this :hmph:Steam then I will no longer purchase anymore games from Valve:(.

As for the game Half-Life2 well I after it finally updated I have so say that I enjoyed playing it:cheese:. I thought some levels need to have more to do but hey that’s just my opinion. The graphics were nice and it played great. I like that the AI was improved:thumbs: in this game as I thought Half-Life was too easy.

If Half-Life3 comes out and it uses Steam:angry: then you have lost a customer but if you do drop Steam:thumbs: then I will happily buy it.

WindyBut

Windybut said:
Having bought, played and loved Half-Life. I thought as soon as I saw Half-Life2 advertised that I would buy it on release. Well like so many others I installed the game only to have Steam update then the game update too:flame:. This took about 2 hours so I was very disappointed by this. Why? Well if the game required such a large download then it should not have been released before it was ready. As for that “verifying Half-Life2” from steam:flame: well I hate that I bought a game that needs to verified online before I play it.

So that means as long as you insist on using this :hmph:Steam then I will no longer purchase anymore games from Valve:(.

As for the game Half-Life2 well I after it finally updated I have so say that I enjoyed playing it:cheese:. I thought some levels need to have more to do but hey that’s just my opinion. The graphics were nice and it played great. I like that the AI was improved:thumbs: in this game as I thought Half-Life was too easy.

If Half-Life3 comes out and it uses Steam:angry: then you have lost a customer but if you do drop Steam:thumbs: then I will happily buy it.

WindyBut
The game was ready to be released. It required a large download because of the updates that came with it, such as the Half Life 2 Deathmatch niceity (which I am assuming you got as well).
The reason it needs to be verified online is to stop piracy. It's not ideal, but it's protecting the company's interests. Wouldn't you try to protect a product you had been working six years on from piracy?

I'm also assuming you don't like the idea of your games automatically updating, and you like looking for patches. It it also apparent that you hate the fact that you have the option of downloading a game and paying for it, rather than going to the shops and paying for it. Although why you hate this idea is beyond me.

And expect Half Life 3 to need Steam.

Windybut said:

You've convinced Valve; as of this Saturday, they are shutting down Steam.

john3571000 said:
why is that?

Hell they rarely visit thier own forum over at steampowered.com, why? Because they are sick of getting shit thrown in there face when they try to do something nice for people, like free content for CS:S, if the stuff gets delayed a day christ help them with all the flames/hate mail they recieve.

His name is "Windybut". Like "Windy-butt". Tee hee.

Well, Farty McPoop-pants has some valid points. I had already crammed like six Red Bulls before it was finished validating and I could play. It made the first level more twitchy than it should have been.

"Don't drink the water..."
"WHY!? WHY NOT!! WHY SHOULDN"T I DRINK THE WATER!?"
"...it makes you forget."
"Oh."

I could have sworne your name was wineybutt.
Oh no! i lost some game time! Damn you valve! DAMN YOU!

No sir, damn you! For making me spend some of my time writing this reply. Time that I could have spent playing or god willing, exercise.

DiSTuRbEd said:
Hell they rarely visit thier own forum over at steampowered.com, why? Because they are sick of getting shit thrown in there face when they try to do something nice for people, like free content for CS:S, if the stuff gets delayed a day christ help them with all the flames/hate mail they recieve.
it just seems odd when VALVe pride themselves on being so community orientated
I mean even EA have an active community on several different websites just for BF2 while Blizzard have constant staff posts in WoW forums
BIS of Operation Flashpoint fame pay a guy called Placebo just to put up with people's opinions/complaints/stupidity
it just seems strange regardless of the negativity that they might incur

People from Valve read these forums.

Well, obviously a solution to getting flamed on their(Valve's) own forums would be to stop telling people to expect updates/new content so long before it's ready to be released...I think they've learned that by now though, heh. And it would be nice if they commented on these and other forums more often, but honestly I'd rather they be busy working on the games! :D

And Windybut, don't be silly, it's only couple of hours...have you nothing else to do but sit and watch the download bar move?
You WILL buy aftermath, episode 2, 3, 4 and whatever and you will wait for the updates and you will play and enjoy 'em all dammit!

Muaha.

THese updates your talking about made the game about 10x better for me.... I used to not be able to play counter strike source beacuse it would stutter like crazy. I now play it on 1280x1024 4x antialiasing 16x anistropic filtering without a hitch, if it wasn't for the updates that wouldn't be happening :-P. x800proGT 1024 mb DDR 400 ram, athlon xp 64-bit 3200+

Windybut you need to rethink this through, really. Steam is ten times better than the traditional way both for you personally and for Valve and antipiracy and cheating and a whole shitload of other things.

That fact that you are going to let a couple hours delay which are making the game better for you piss you off at Steam, makes you look like some kind of guy who immediately sets his opinion in stone at the first discomfort with a new and better way of doing things.

Personally, I think Steam is one of the best ideas I've noticed for video games. Granted, it does need work, but that's expected with a first of its kind program. The fact that I don't have to scavange for pathces and worry about which hotfix I have to install *Cough BF2 right now cough*...It's a dream.

The reasons you said why you don't enjoy Steam, are childish and silly. I understand some peoples argruements of how they can't even run a game because of Steam messes up some how..that I understand. But you're complaining about patches, and validating a game, which doesn't really take that long.... Just plain ludicrous IMHO.

First of all, if you bought the game VIA steam (via Internet in other words) you do realize that you are actually DOWNLOADING the game..several GIGABYTES...via the net? Now...how would that not take 2 hours? Idiot...

Second of all...we dont give a ****, and Valve doesnt care if you dont buy their games, they do, however, care if like 99% of their fans dont which would be a problem.

If you dont like download times that science cant reduce at this point, then buy the game at the store?

Ravioli said:
First of all, if you bought the game VIA steam (via Internet in other words) you do realize that you are actually DOWNLOADING the game..several GIGABYTES...via the net? Now...how would that not take 2 hours? Idiot...

Second of all...we dont give a ****, and Valve doesnt care if you dont buy their games, they do, however, care if like 99% of their fans dont which would be a problem.

If you dont like download times that science cant reduce at this point, then buy the game at the store?
Ok, that was..really harsh. Calm down plzktnx?

Anyway, yes, he could buy it at teh store, but he would STILL have to validate, and then update the game before he can play, which is what sounds like what he is complaining about...

Windybut said:

WindyBut

You enjoyed the game, so I fail to see what the problem is. As vegeta said, the validation makes the game BETTER for you because you are up-to-date on the latest version of the game. The anti-piracy feature with Steam is actually a lot better than those programs that they put on CD/DVD versions of games that don't work if you have a CD/DVD burner. Those are bad, Steam is better than that.

I think you should rethink your stance on this matter.

Wait , when did the guy install the game? if it's anytime soon then there is really no room to conplain. It's been 2 years of updates and improvments , what do you expect.

I swear , no matter what Valve does there are gonna be people bitching. If the situation was reversed , people would have complained about how is that that Valve doesn't support it products by releasing updates.

Currently a small company in Seattle are crying into their coffees.

^Ben said:
Currently a small company in Seattle are crying into their coffees.
The guys at VALVe are CRYING? WHERE'S MAH MUFUKKIN CROWBAH! I'ma fnd the ****a who did it!

I like Steam. Much better than looking everywhere on the net for a patch or making an hour and a half drive to the nearest shop.

TollBooth Willie said:
The guys at VALVe are CRYING? WHERE'S MAH MUFUKKIN CROWBAH! I'ma fnd the ****a who did it!

I like Steam. Much better than looking everywhere on the net for a patch or making an hour and a half drive to the nearest shop.
Hell yes, considering how many times VALVe patches their games, it would be impossible to keep up without steam. Of course, it weren't for steam, VALVe wouldn't release these many patches...

Ravioli said:
Ravioli said:

Well dude, actualy I think he baught it at a store not VIA internet, and I was pissed off too when I baught my copy and had to wait about(I'm not kidding) 8 hrs before playing it. Not everyone has a fiber optic connection to the internet some of us mortals still use dial up. I agree with him, I hate steam too, we might be in a minority but there is no ****ing chace that you could convince us otherwise. I hate the fact that it updates the game whenever it wants to and takes out the download band as little as it allready is( 20 kbts/s) and yeah, I personaly would prefer to make the updates by miself rather then to use this system. I really don't understand why there isn't an option to stop the automatic update. Oh yeah and did I mention the FIREWALL ISUES:hmph: .
"Valve doesnt care if you dont buy their games", ok then I whon't buy them, and if other companies take up their example on how to protect their games
(damn pirates:flame: ) then all is lost;( .

Redneck said:
I really don't understand why there isn't an option to stop the automatic update.
Properties/Updates/Do not automaticaly update this game
:p

Redneck said:

Well dude, actualy I think he baught it at a store not VIA internet, and I was pissed off too when I baught my copy and had to wait about(I'm not kidding) 8 hrs before playing it. Not everyone has a fiber optic connection to the internet some of us mortals still use dial up. I agree with him, I hate steam too, we might be in a minority but there is no ****ing chace that you could convince us otherwise. I hate the fact that it updates the game whenever it wants to and takes out the download band as little as it allready is( 20 kbts/s) and yeah, I personaly would prefer to make the updates by miself rather then to use this system. I really don't understand why there isn't an option to stop the automatic update. Oh yeah and did I mention the FIREWALL ISUES:hmph: .
"Valve doesnt care if you dont buy their games", ok then I whon't buy them, and if other companies take up their example on how to protect their games
(damn pirates:flame: ) then all is lost;( .
Get an expensive internet because Ravioli doesn't care that you aren't happy with Steam on your connection and neither do Valve, or don't get anymore steam games?

BTW OP's oppinion on Steam shoulden't be posted because it upsets some people that not everyone likes Steam.

Maybe Half-Life fanboys are annoying too.

ríomhaire said:
Properties/Updates/Do not automaticaly update this game
:p
That won't stop STEAM from trying to update itself. Even offline mode won't stop that, as after about 2 weeks it decides it won't let you play untill you check for any updates.

lol whats with "VALVe" having a small "e" when everything else is in caps 0o

Back