source SDK's almost completely broken, need help!

Skyace65

Vortigaunt
Reaction score
well i've tried everything i can think of, but nothing seems to be working. and i figured this would be the best place to come for help

here's my problem, generally i can't use any of the tools. the issue varies by what game I'm trying to use.
some games say that they are missing all of their configuration information with the tools, others give me fatal flaws, for instance half-life 2 with face poser gives the error "Unable to load manifest file 'scripts/game_sounds_manifest.text' " and with hammer editor when i load or create a map it says "failed to load the default scheme file"

I never had these problems before and i think it's the 2013 update that screwed everything up. I've reset the game configurations, refreshed SDK content, verified the integrity of the cache for the SDK. uninstalled and re-installed. verified the integrity of the game cache, but still nothings working. anyone got any ideas?

Yep, you are using the 2013 version of the sdk. Use the old one,since the new one has some weird bugs and stuff going in it, it can't properly load models and files from games. There are tutorials on how to fix the 2013 one aswell, just google it.

Are you launching from the green tool menu inside steam? Because that's no longer supported. I believe there are fixes out there to make it work again, but by default the 2013 version of Hammer only works when launching the executable directly from the bin folder of the game you are using. Though it is extremely prone to crashes, especially when using the model viewer.

I wouldn't use the old SDK, 2013 works well. First, follow the directions on the valve wiki for setup/build.

Running the game with yout mod is not well documented on the wiki, but generally all of the tools take a -game argument that should point to the path of your mod directory. For an SDK 2013 Multiplayer mod, it's usually mp/game/mod_hl2mp, which should contain all of the files necessary to run the game once you've compiled the "everything" project. Using -game applies for all of the tools you'd use for modding, including: hlmv.exe, hammer.exe, hl2.exe, etc... The only time you don't need -game is when you've copied all of your mod files to your actual sourcemods directory so that you can run it from Steam.

Back