Spice and Wolf

ktimekiller

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Normally, I despise the stereotypical tone mind bogglingly repeated in NEARLY ALL anime (shitty drama, robots, giant monsters, etc), and tend to avoid anything concerning them. However, I found this particular series that seems to captivate me regardless of being an anime.

First, its based off a light novel (short novel) with the same name. Published in Japanese, Chinese, and a few variations of other Asian languages.

It follows the story of Craft Lawrence, a traveling trades man, who is in pursuit of a merchant's dream of settling down with his own shop in a town. By chance, he stumbles upon a pagan wolf deity, named Horo (names seem to vary depending on translation, ive seen her named as korbo, horo, and holo). She is able to take human and wolf form at will, given a bit of either wheat, or human blood. Though she traveled south originally for adventure, after hundreds of years, humans have lost their faith in the old golds, particularly since the church has risen to power. With the help of Lawrence, she looks to find her way home, while traveling the lands to see how things have changed (she basically stayed in a single town for the whole duration, acting as a "wheat god").

Now, aside from the semi common theme of (arent there always some bits of this regardless of media style though?) shy male, assertive female flirting with said character, the story (both anime and the light novel, though the latter tends to have more time to expand on it) often revolves around mercantilism, trade politics, economics, and the like (much like Dune I think, except instead of feudalism politics, its trade). Though I gotta say TBH, my main attraction is the character development and the relationship between Lawrence and Horo. :imu:

So far, the anime itself is in season two, with a total of roughly 24(?) episodes. It does stick VERY close to the original books, and so far, it has followed from the 1-5 volume out of a total of 12.

ATM, there is no english dubs of Spice and Wolf, and there is no physical translated novels of it, but there are english subs, and online translations for the book if you search hard enough.

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Spice_&_Wolf

This website has several volumes completely translated so far.

Spice and Wolf was recently licensed by FUNimations, and a publishing company, and the official english versions will be released soon. Though I suggest keeping an eye on the website above, since the books will be released at a snails pace. Same probably goes for the anime show as well, given the show does not abruptly cut after just 2 seasons, and barely covering half the novels.

If anyone is interested in obtaining the english subs, PM me, and I will direct. *cough*torrent*cough*

EDIT: Forgot to mention the manga, if anyone is interested, english versions are available at
http://www.onemanga.com/Spice_and_Wolf/

I await Ace's saliva and vomit spewing arrival into this thread at any time now.

Probably my favorite anime, although I'm busy with Umineko at the moment. Some things.

>named Horo (names seem to vary depending on translation, ive seen her named as korbo, horo, and holo)

The name is Horo. I own the Japanese DVD.

>Though I gotta say TBH, my main attraction is the character development and the relationship between Lawrence and Horo.

Yeah. Along with several episodes being Economics 101, particular with the supply and demands one a few episodes back.
Baka Tsuki does indeed have the best translation, and I believe the english copies of the novels are coming this winter, if I recall.

>Spice and Wolf was recently licensed by FUNimation

Cancer that's going to kill Spice and Wolf. After that was announced, boxtorrents promptly took down the torrent for season 1. I still have the set, luckily, and need to download the last couple of episodes from season 2.

KURAFUTO RORENSU

horo is mai waifu

The english versions of the Light Novel and the dubbed(meh) season set release on the 15th of December.

The new cover of the light novel(as done by Yen Press) looks terrible, so I have a feeling I am going to be buying two copies of it(one from Barnes and Nobles which I've already preordered, and another from Right Stuf, an anime etc site, which is also offering a dust cover which has the original Japanese cover along with it.)

Needless to say I am excited.

Back