Spies Are Impossible!!!

I tend to like spying only on 2fort and well, since I have in mind solid paths of where to run, what to disguise as, and when to uncloak. I also find sniper the best disguise, and those 2 maps have sniping points.

2fort is good for spamming sappers too.

For me, it all depends on the other team. I can hang around in a base for 5 minutes and not be checked, another one I can run in under cloak and a pyro spews fire everywhere.

I don't get why some people who play as a Spy think they can run around killing loads of people and not get caught. I was playing yesterday and this player who just plays as a Spy and rarely anything else (top on the points chart, too) was whining because I kept killing him before he got near me. I was called a "lame spammer", which was rich. I knew he was after me so I kept checking my behind and there he was, disguised as a Medic, in the tunnels back to my base on 2fort. He deserved everything he got.

Personally, I'm sick of Spies too. :|

Demo's great against spies. Area spam with the stickies, and shooting grenades through random teammates... doesn't a direct-hit nade do enough damage to one-hit-kill a spy?

I was backstabbed countless times by spies when I first started playing, but I learned some of the traits to look for. The backstabbing still happens, but I tend to check my back more often.

Never played spy, but I have respect for those who do and do it well.

The absolute giveaways are:
1. Where they're looking and
2. Where they're going

If you have a dispenser next to a doorway and a teammate comes up and doesn't even look at the doorway for enemies, he just watches you or the dispenser, he's a Spy. If a teammate is hovering without getting health or without reloading, he's a Spy. If a teammate is following someone in front so closely he may as well be holding his metaphorical tail, he's a Spy.

And if a teammate jumps over any team structure, he's a Spy.

Shh Crispy don't give to much away, **mental note: always look like I'm doing something when spying** ;)

I personally find spy difficult to play because of my LAG. :D

Wait for chaos. Cloak. Find safe spot. Decloak & disguise. Join in the next enemy attack wave. Wait for chaos. Backstab distracted Heavy. Cloak. Repeat.

The absolute giveaways are:
1. Where they're looking and
2. Where they're going

If you have a dispenser next to a doorway and a teammate comes up and doesn't even look at the doorway for enemies, he just watches you or the dispenser, he's a Spy. If a teammate is hovering without getting health or without reloading, he's a Spy. If a teammate is following someone in front so closely he may as well be holding his metaphorical tail, he's a Spy.

And if a teammate jumps over any team structure, he's a Spy.

Heha, easy to get away with. Backtracking + jumping = me safe. No-one spychecks a backtracking demo who is half dead and running up the stairs to the medicine on 2fort, so thats what I do, then cloak in the small areas and change disguise, reck havok. Got me 13 destructions in 1 round, really had 2 engineers driving up the walls :smoking:

I like it when I can get vertical positions as a spy, because - disguise or not - jump on their heads mashing the knife and more often then not they'll go down to a backstab.

You slow down when disguised as a heavy.

Not the one's i've seen havent, sure the actual movement of the Heavy is still the same but they glide faster, easy to spot. I've killed many spies disguised as heavy because it's blatently obvious.

Not the one's i've seen havent, sure the actual movement of the Heavy is still the same but they glide faster, easy to spot. I've killed many spies disguised as heavy because it's blatently obvious.

You do slow down when you discuise as a heavy, you just dont slow down to the speed of a actual heavy.

Really? Oh well, I don't disguise much (ever) as a heavy since they are so slow you can't catch anyone :p

OP said:
Wah wah wah

fyipyro_2.png

Seriously though, spy is naturally a class that takes practice and time to master. Its just balance. Spies have so much potential for sheer one hit killing and destruction, but that is the reward for playing well.

And as my image says, its not paranoid or stupid to make sure everyone is who they seem. Is it really stupid for me to make sure there isn't a spy to backstab and destroy our turrets and dispensers?.

If anything its just common sense, and its something you will have to learn to adapt to.

Yeah ive learnt to adapt, i stay the hell away from pyros and if one pops up where i dont expect tactical retreating (fleeeeeeing!!) is deployed!

Spies are so damn fun but they thrive on ignorant or bad players. It's pretty difficult to be successful as a spy against wary players (but not impossible). I doubt you'll see many people (if any) play spies in real competition games/matches.

What most people don't understand about Spy is that failure is not final; if you don't manage to backstab that enemy you were chasing on the way to your base (they stopped near a bunch of other dudes), don't stop with them. Keep going, go back to your base, try again. You didn't die, you failed, but you can try again. The first priority as a spy is to not be discovered. If you can be undiscovered, you'll create a lot of chaos on the enemy team. They'll know by the backstab kill messages that there's a spy, but they won't know the disguise or his patterns. Your objective is not absolute kill domination, but the surgical striking of key targets (Heavy + Medic combos, Sentry Turrets, etc). There are also many times when your sapper, even if immediately destroyed, allows for your team to push hard on the fortified position and kill the sentry, as they were not immediately targeted.

Stay moving as a spy, never stop in one place and sit there unless charging your cloak (in an inconspicuous place, preferably out of the enemy base). When people start seeing someone standing by some chokepoint for 30 seconds and haven't fired a shot, they tend to get suspicious.

Another key is that disguises are not an invincibility cloak; 9 out of 10 times that I do well as a Spy, I try to stay hidden with my disguise as a backup if they turn around. If they don't see you, they can't spycheck you.

Also, if you see someone keep killing you for almost no reason, STAY AWAY from them. Chances are the system is bugging out and keeps picking their name, making your spy nature a dead giveaway.

Just because they are specialized doesn't mean that they're underpowered; they're one of the most dangerous classes out there (hurray for 5 kills as Spy in Sudden Death once!)

For some reason I can tell who is a spy without even thinking about it now, I seem to just know. It's weird. I also check everyone I see by walking through them, so that might be part of it too, sometimes.

That is because you suck? No seriously, spy is good. It's my 2nd best class

1. Spy works best in less linear and more open maps
2. You got to use this combo
- Disguise yourself (into a engineer, a sniper, or a spy NOTHING ELSE!!!!)
- As you approach the base, turn invisible
- Go to a safe place and er..univisibalize/visualize your self
- As you walk around your men, call for a medic (this reinforces your status then and when)
- Sap a turret or take a kill (A BACKSTAB, stabem from behind, INSTAKILL), and turn invisible, change class and repeat

EASY!

Never ever call for medic as a spy. They dont see your "Azner: MEDIC" they'll open fire on you.

I only call for medic as a spy if I'm, you know, low on health.

Most medics heal of their own accord, anyway (The good ones). They also spycheck of their own accord, so be wary.

Lately I've been disguising as a scout and it is quite effective. People think spies do not disguise as scouts (or even medics) because of the speed/healing stuff. Most of the time they won't shoot at you and you can get some kills.

Another tactic I enjoy sometimes in CTF maps (2fort and some custom ones) is playing as a defensive spy. Disguising as an engineer of your own team, and just moving around your base looking for spies (only works if there are several people in the other team as spy, otherwise is a little boring just waiting).If you see any teammate acting weird, just stab him. Or even, if you cannot walk through a teammate, stab him!
They probably didn't see it coming!

Lately I've been disguising as a scout and it is quite effective. People think spies do not disguise as scouts

Yeah, but the speed difference does make it pretty obvious.

I saw an interesting tactic today though -- two enemy spies running together, both disguised, which certainly made them less suspicious. Except that they were both running toward my turret, so I spychecked them both in the face for two lovely lovely dead spies.

Yeah, but the speed difference does make it pretty obvious.

I saw an interesting tactic today though -- two enemy spies running together, both disguised, which certainly made them less suspicious. Except that they were both running toward my turret, so I spychecked them both in the face for two lovely lovely dead spies.

See that quite often on the 24/7 2fort servers. I've seen 4 spies on 2fort hanging around, and they didn't get checked once. Needless to say, the 4 of them topped the table at the end.

Never ever call for medic as a spy. They dont see your "Azner: MEDIC" they'll open fire on you.

Actually you do see a spy's medic call, and it appears to come from someone on your own team. I know this because there have been a few occasions where I've see "TaiFong: MEDIC!" pop up on the screen even though I didn't call for one - indeed it was a spy.

On Dustpit, Spys can be a great defencive class, stand near the Hut and pretend to snipe for the offenceive team. As they move in you can backstab to your hearts content.
Also, if your seen, just cloak and run away.

Actually you do see a spy's medic call, and it appears to come from someone on your own team. I know this because there have been a few occasions where I've see "TaiFong: MEDIC!" pop up on the screen even though I didn't call for one - indeed it was a spy.

Ya, some jerk spied as me and spammed the medic button, and when I told my team that was a spy they called me a liar...

Why would they call you a liar? What a bunch of morons.

Spies are so damn fun but they thrive on ignorant or bad players. It's pretty difficult to be successful as a spy against wary players (but not impossible). I doubt you'll see many people (if any) play spies in real competition games/matches.

I was thinking about this the other day, it would be quite effective to use a spy in a match as a quick snap and flee kill. The idea would be to hide above/below the advancing team (generally anywhere out of sight), leap down stab and flee the idea is just to stop an advancing heavy or destructive soldier. As opposed to the whole meld in the the team till the opportunity presents itself, which would fail due to the team being on TS and keeping track of each other.

personally, i find it way too easy to tell if the enemy is a spy.

I usually bump into him, or he got a bad name

Yeah ive learnt to adapt, i stay the hell away from pyros and if one pops up where i dont expect tactical retreating (fleeeeeeing!!) is deployed!

Just saw your post now and it gave me a laugh :D

Tactical retreating is fleeing like your ass is being poked with a needle now eh?!

I find Sniper the best disguise - u can just stand around looking in the right direction until a medic/heavy combo roll up and thats 4 points in the bag.

One thing to mention - spy is much easier to play if nobody else on your team is spy. As soon as there are 2 or 3 spies on your team, the enemy team just get totally paranoid and it becomes a lot harder for you.

My favorites are demoman, sniper, and engi. All three can have credible reasons to not be shooting, and all three can hang around their own base without looking overly suspicious.

All you want to do is take out the 'paranoid' bit. So stop playing spy for a while, or find a server full of idiots.

I actually found a server full of idiots once, and I had a backstabbing bonanza! I only got to 3 though before I grabbed the flag and then got flamed...

What disguise you use is just about always relative to where you want to go and what you wanna do. Therefore, scouts are useless disguises, 'cause you don't wanna race to the capture point, or the middle of the fray... useful if you need to run away I guess...

Pyros are good, because you can skulk back from the front lines without raising too much suspicion. I always see pyros doing weird things... Same goes for the Demoman. Particularly good for the Medic/Heavy combos, 'cause you can look like you're in the fray without actually being in it.

Medics are great in a crowd, especially with more medics. Nobody can tell at any given moment who is healing who. Everyone assumes you're the good guy, so you're free to slip behind their backs, or stab them... either way. And playing on the other end of that as well, if you've just been in a bit of biff and you turn heavy and call for a medic, chances are you'll get healed and all that jazz.

Engineers bashing away on turrets... pretty believable if you ask me.

But to be blatantly honest, nothing works better than a Sniper at the back of the map. Just wondering around does the trick, 'cause nobody really watches anybody else in the game for more than a few seconds. Just be mindful to change your disguise back if you knock a few too many off their perch.

And disguising as spies, they're just random. Use them for doing random things, but expect random things to happen.

And crossfire is a bitch... I just hang back until a big ugly heavy lumbers by that I can use to distract their fire if I'm ever stuck in a pinch.

Spies aren't easy, but really... what is?

...ok, apart from the heavy...

Worst thing is when I'm cloaked, running towards a Sentry, and then one of my team pops up behind me, the Sentry swivels, and delivers a blistering missile barrage in my face.

Back