splintering wood

Punisher454

Reaction score
While watching the demo vids something has been bothering me a bit. The wood splinters way too easy!
Done get me wrong, its a cool feature and I'd rather have it than not, but its a little overdone.

I've blasted away at alot of wooden targets over the years, and they end up with a hole in them alot more often than just splintering apart from a single shot, especialy from small caliber bullets (probably fully jacketed too).

In the demo a 2x4 will splinter apart from a single shot of the pistol (probably a little 9mm, I didnt pay attention to the particular model). something as light as a 9mm may or may not even fully penetrate a 2x4!

I remember one weekend a couple years ago I was shooting at a wooden grade stake about 150yards away with My AK. I probably fired off at least 60 rounds at that one particular target that afternoon. later when I went out to inspect the results of all my shooting I noticed that it had little clean 30 caliber holes all up and down it. But it still held together.
On the other hand I've shot pieces of wood much larger that practicly exploded.
The point is that the wood in the demo was way too sensitive and brittle to be realistic. Fun yes, cool yes, realistic NO.

anyhow thats the last post for me till monday, got a little vacation for the weekend.
Later!

I agree the wood did seem to give a little too easily in the video, hopefully they'll fix that in the final version.

Hopefully they wont. Games are not meant to simulate the frustrating and boring aspects of the real world. It's one thing to make things more complex and interesting by apply real-world predictability to it, but its quite another to make things more tedious and slower, just the the real world. Few people that will play the game have ever run around shooting wooden planks with a real gun, and frankly, I don't want to have to stand around all day to shoot up a wooden plank. I want things to break and splinter when I decide they should, not after banging away at it for a few minutes to hit just the right angle.

since when did people get the idea that half life 2 is supposed to simulate realism..

Since they heard world "realistic" :D

Amazing, first time ever I will agree with Valved, people over hyping HL2 for themselves.

OH NO! THE WOOD SPLINTERS TOO MUCH!

It really doesn't matter, either it will be fixed in the final version and if they don't... Well it really won't matter.

did any notice that the water mellon broke into 2 big pieces, 1 medium piece and little chuncks

Yeah I've played many games that tried to be too realistic. And frankly, they suck. Example:

GTA Vice City: Love the game (although the graphics could've been beefed and the pc version is buggy). When I crash my car into a light pole guess what.. it goes right through it.

The Getaway: Great concept. The cars handle more realistically. When I smack a light pole my car stops dead in its tracks and it's nearly impossible to run from the cops. It's MUCH more realistic

But guess what. Vice city is more fun. Sometimes exageration and the bending of rules is good for gamers.

i believe his complaint is not completely unjustified. half-life is being sold as having realistic physics and wood that "breaks like real wood, splinters like real wood" when it doesn't. though i know completely realistic physics aren't to be expected, simple things like this shouldn't be ignored.

also, about the whole "it's not supposed to be realistic" arguments, please either justify your arguments, label them as being speculation when they are, or find a new one, because that one's getting really old. if it's not supposed to be realistic, then why is there a physics engine in the first place? why is there a particle system? why are there 40 facial muscles in the main characters? also, if, for example, a shotgun blast to the face did 2 damage, most of the people who claimed about it not needing to be realistic would bitch about it not being realistic enough. i've seen it happen before (unreal 2 forums anyone?), and it'd probably happen again.

how about a game where you take the role of valved ray
your mission is to sit on the computer and post stupid messages for the most part. with realistic ai characters posting clever replies. and the final boss is munro and he has the power to ban...

lol i used to be a member of the unreal 2 forums :D im banned though, stupid grant roberts, say hi to them from me.

i dont go there anymore. i went there once to see how were many people as outraged as i was for having wasted $50-$65 on it.

wood that "breaks like real wood, splinters like real wood" when it doesn't. though i know completely realistic physics aren't to be expected, simple things like this shouldn't be ignored.

Give me a break. Any normal person is going to expect that when you shoot a flimsy wooden structure with a huge handcannon, it's going to do more than put a teensy hole in it. It's realism on a fun scale, not a ridiculous Obsessive Compulsive scale.

any normal person is going to expect a lot of things incorrectly. if normal people were in charge of the physics engine, it'd be horrible. you read what punisher typed. he shot several pieces of wood himself in real life, and it didn't behave as it did in the game.

big whoop you say? obsessive compulsive realism? if real-time water reflections weren't in, would you say the same thing about them? what about if faces were made like in every other game and someone said "i want the main characters to have over 40 facial muscles and lip-sync automatically to the wav files!" only this is much easier to impliment than either of those, and adds that extra bit of realism that would help make the game great instead of just good.

and where did i say the game was not going to be fun because the wood didn't splinter realistically? i said, as you quoted,

wood that "breaks like real wood, splinters like real wood" when it doesn't.

Originally posted by Punisher454

In the demo a 2x4 will splinter apart from a single shot of the pistol (probably a little 9mm, I didnt pay attention to the particular model). something as light as a 9mm may or may not even fully penetrate a 2x4!

u my friend no nothing about guns. Not only can 9mm rounds peirce threw a 2x4, but i split 2x4 with my .22 cal rifle i got for shooting squirrils, sure it dosnt split as easy as it dose when i shoot at it with my dads ak, but dont act like you know waht your talking about since you obviously dont....

DON'T KILL ANIMALS YOUR MURDERER WTF DID THEY DO TO YOU.
SHIT, I HATE PEOPLE THAT KILL ANIMALS FOR NO ****ING REASON. I HOPE YOU BURN IN HELL FOREVER

Point taken, but I was mostly concerned about them coming apart too easily. If they desintegrate under a 9mm then using a shotgun will be superfluous. I think a situation where different barriers need different treatment is more desireable than if all barriers fall more or less equally to different weapons.
Then we're back to QuakeI.

Really I hate to be a stickler about anything, I just wanna get a different response from a barrier depending on what weapon I use.

Oh and I don't like to see animals killed for no good reason.
But if they're tasty.

Yeah, kill dogs, they smell so bad, it is not even funny!

Originally posted by Mr.Reak
Yeah, kill dogs, they smell so bad, it is not even funny!
**** YOU ASSHOLE!! DOGS AND OTHER ANIMALS ARE JUST INNNOCENT CREATURES DOING NOTHING BUT BEING NICE TO PEOPLE AND ****ING CRAZY ASSHOLES LIKE YOU HAVE TO GO AND GET GUNS TO SHOOT THEM!!!?? WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU YOU SICK SHIT. I'D LIKE TO GET A GUN AND ****ING SHOOT YOU IN THE FACE AND SEE HOW YOUR FAMILY REACTS, DAMN KILLING INNOCENT ANIMALS IS SOO WRONG. MOTHER****ER

Originally posted by ValVed RaY
**** YOU ASSHOLE!! DOGS AND OTHER ANIMALS ARE JUST INNNOCENT CREATURES DOING NOTHING BUT BEING NICE TO PEOPLE AND ****ING CRAZY ASSHOLES LIKE YOU HAVE TO GO AND GET GUNS TO SHOOT THEM!!!?? WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU YOU SICK SHIT. I'D LIKE TO GET A GUN AND ****ING SHOOT YOU IN THE FACE AND SEE HOW YOUR FAMILY REACTS, DAMN KILLING INNOCENT ANIMALS IS SOO WRONG. MOTHER****ER

Yep, I will agree with you here, let's kill all dogs together.

Relax ValVed, breathe. Put down the PETA membership card.

Maybe you should log off for a while and work on that clever quote. :=)

Originally posted by ValVed RaY

This warrants a sarcastic response. You know that part about glass houses?

Maybe valve should just put in a simple wood splintering cvar, so eveyone can choose how much they want the wood to splinter themselves.

Originally posted by 82ross
Maybe valve should just put in a simple wood splintering cvar, so eveyone can choose how much they want the wood to splinter themselves.

As far as I'm concerned HL2 NEEDS two things, gib settings and the ability to name saved games. Anything less would be disappointing.
Oh and wood splintering, girliness of enemy screams, number of outdoor cafe's in City 17 should also be adjustable.

Originally posted by nietzsche
No, it's the other axis of evil, the home of the coughbravecough.

You know what would help that cough?

A healthy dose of blind patriotism, like back in '39.

Aaaahhh, flame war, take cover!

/me takes out his Flammenwerfer 44, single-handedly blowing Lordblackadder to a heap of dust.

Oh c'mon you can meet me halfway on the issue, can't you?

/me purrs like a cat

Good.

I'm of certain Eastern European origin, so I always get nervous when big countries get rambunctious. For whatever righteous reason.

this topic isn't terribly exciting

It falls along the lines of "why was the guy not ripped apart by the greanade" and "how can the strider balance on only two legs?" :dozey:

/me wonders why valved ray is saying stay on topic.

not deciding someone should die right now?

/me is shocked

neway. i like the idea that the wood splinters.... maybe it should stand a little abise fisrt, but i like it overall.

this is my first post so bear with me if what i say isnt completely informed.

You say that the problem with the wood is it splinters/shatters too much. If the problem was making the wood act realistically then you'd be right. But i think its more of a game play issue.

eg. wood is realistic

/me looks at heavy barrel sitting on a flimsy piece of wood above the enemies head
/me shoots the wood
/enemy looks around to see where the gunshot came from
/enemy kicks some ass
/me dead

eg. wood splinters/shatters unrealistically

/me looks at heavy barrel sitting on a flimsy piece of wood above the enemies head
/me shoots the wood
/enemy looks up to see a heavy barrel drop on his head
/me congradulates myself on killing the baddie

anyways the best parts of HL1 were when you used the properties of the environment to beat an area instead of brute force, like when you face the 2 tentacles which attack any noise. or the room where the floor is covered in electric water, so you sit on a table and make the zombie walk accross the room killing himself and saving you ammo.

I think a situation where different barriers need different treatment is more desireable than if all barriers fall more or less equally to different weapons.
Then we're back to QuakeI.

Dude, we're talking about a board. I can live with boards splintering anywhere from my pistol to my rocketlauncher. That's what boards are there to do. How can you possibly think that we're "back to Quake1" with the amount of crazy-ass physics in the game?

Really I hate to be a stickler about anything, I just wanna get a different response from a barrier depending on what weapon I use.

What gives you the impression that you wont? A shotgun has a much wider spread: it will take out many parts of a "barrier" all at once.

Yeah i have to agree with Apos here and say that you all are really really really anal. Maybe Freeman should have to stop and take a shit once and a while too just to make it realistic. I so really want to say something sarcastic or an outburst of "ARE YOU GUYS ****ING STUPID OR SOMETHING?" but i cant think of any way to do it properly. But the funniest line was "I hope they fix that." FIX WHAT? There isnt anything wrong with it! Oh my god! You people are gonna hate this game when it comes out becuase of little shit like the wood splinters too much and doesnt make proper holes. Im sorry but i know that someone else out there is reading this thread and is thinking about how rediculous this is.

Back