Stalker 2 officially cancelled. working on F2P FPS instead

Not a huge shock, but sad none the less. :(

I would love to believe these developers capable of doing something interesting and risky with an MMO but I just don't see them having the resources.

Maybe some day someone will make a spiritual successor to STALKER or at least take inspiration from its strongest components.

F2P Nexon type games are a way to potentially make money for a project they actually care about. Studios do this all the time.

So do writers. Especially ones doing serial novels and erotic novels. Dreams elsewhere but there's safe investments out there for those with genuine talent.

That being said, I sincerely doubt it will be any good. The 1.0 release of Stalker, for me, was unplayable and seemed to lack QA, Obsidian style only worse and more Eastern Europe.

Survarium is a terrible name for anything and has already sold me on not buying it. Whats the deal with the dev team again? I know major players left after SoC came out and went to make Metro 2033, but did the remaining members make the expansions? Is that the same team that was working on Stalker 2?

Its amusing because Metro 2033 is nearing completion of its second game, while the Stalker team has only made two expansion packs in the same time.

If you are referring to Clear Sky and CoP, I wouldn't exactly call them expansion packs. Sure, Clear Sky wasn't that great, but I still believe CoP is the best STALKER game to date (minus it's story, which sucked).

I could certainly see an MMO-type game being in the spirit of STALKER if loot was rare and valuable and it had permadeath.

I didn't read the article... does it say why they were unable to secure the rights? Price too steep? Flat-out denied? Someone else is secretly working on it? I'd love another installment of Stalker.

I saw this coming. It still sucks to have it confirmed. I wanted another STALKER so bad

If you are referring to Clear Sky and CoP, I wouldn't exactly call them expansion packs. Sure, Clear Sky wasn't that great, but I still believe CoP is the best STALKER game to date (minus it's story, which sucked).

CoP had the strongest story out of the three that neatly tied up every loose end in Stalker 1...

CoP had the strongest story out of the three that neatly tied up every loose end in Stalker 1...

While I did like how CoP wrapped up nicely in the end, I found the mystery behind the Sarcophagus to be a more interesting hook than determining why some military helicopters crashed. In SoC I actually wanted to find out what happened, whereas in CoP I was more interested in exploring the next area.

While I did like how CoP wrapped up nicely in the end, I found the mystery behind the Sarcophagus to be a more interesting hook than determining why some military helicopters crashed. In SoC I actually wanted to find out what happened, whereas in CoP I was more interested in exploring the next area.

Which is kind of the point. The helicopter crashes form the narrative framework for the game, true, but they aren't the real story. The real story is discovering the background of the Zone, the ultimate fate of Strelok, exploring the nexus of the X-Labs...

A bunch of F2P games getting announced recently. I will be interesting to see how they go about doing that... it's not as simple as it sounds.

Accidentally closed tab. Lost long-ass post. **** it.

Jist of it: Perhaps this could work where the premium currency you buy is medical supplies? Med supplies help you get downed teammates back in the fight and avoid permadeath (I think permadeath would be an awesome thing to have, but I would be pretty surprised if they actually included that because it'd probably pretty abhorrent to most players).

I've never really understood what they meant by A-Life. Is that just random events and a persistent world?

Basically yeah. It's the AI system behind roaming NPCs and monsters. A Stalker-style game without A-life seems entirely pointless to me.

Apparently some mod team is also taking their STALKER-inspired Crysis mod and making it into a F2P game. I honestly think this is just going to crash and burn, but if it doesn't it may actually be good

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/17/crysis-meet-stalker-cryzone-sector-23/

QdgWH.jpg

Back