STALKER and HALF LIFE2 Physics.

What do you think of the physic's engin?

• S.O.L got better physics engin

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • HL2 is the best

Votes: 56 57.1%
  • Wait for the EC in London

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Not clear Yet

Votes: 36 36.7%

• Total voters

Gorgon

Reaction score
This is a tech demo of STALKER: Oblivion Lost, the upcoming tactical FPS set in post-nuclear environment currently in works at GSC World.

click here:
http://gamershell.com/news_bSTALKERbTechDemoMoviesP.shtml

Guys, this is not HL2 vs S.O.L thread.

when making a comparison between HL2 and S.O.L, S.O.L got better physics (I hate to say that, but this is the fact) ;(. I hop Valve will show more of the physics features in EC and that will make me (maybe you too) satisfied.:cheers:

what exactly in stalker's physics do you think is better than HL2's?

Originally posted by @bel
what exactly in stalker's physics do you think is better than HL2's?

ragdoll physics in S.O.L have more Realistic Object movements, for example The G_Man face have 50 Muscles while Max Payne2 got 78.

S.O.L got slightly higher physics motions than HL2.

Originally posted by G0rgon
ragdoll physics in S.O.L have more Realistic Object movements, for example The G_Man face have 50 Muscles while Max Payne got 78.
i don't think those facial muscles have that much to do with physics... :s
and why are you comparing HL2 with MP2 when it's about stalker and HL2...?

Ragdoll has nothing to do with Muscle structure in the face more like amount of joints and the leg arms and body/neck. And what do u mean higher physics motions? Like wilder/less realistic broken leg ragdoll effects?

Why do u need 78 muscles in the face anyway, i dont bother paying attention to a damn dead corpse anyway......unlessur one of those "sicko's"

No, it is just an example,

Meaning, lets assume that HL2 got 500 instructions for a falling body, stalker got 550 instructions. I meant that. sory.

Not like anyone will notice anyway but whatever lol

I bet u could make a S.O.L mod from source just as good as the origional heheh

I think my buddy is gunna attempt a d00m 3 mod to see which engine is better for the game

if you trained your eye to spot the smallest features, you will see that a 50 instructions can have a big diffrence.

I would like to see any engine apply ragdoll physics to a detached limb without the limp clipping on everything

That would be some 50 extra commands put to some damn good use

Great, Stalker has 50 more instructions or whatever, but when do you get to enjoy it? All of Stalkers supposed advantages don't mean anything seeing as how it won't be released till some time next year. While, on the other hand, HL2 will hopefully be out next month.

Originally posted by adio2001
Great, Stalker has 50 more instructions or whatever, but when do you get to enjoy it? All of Stalkers supposed advantages don't mean anything seeing as how it won't be released till some time next year. While, on the other hand, HL2 will hopefully be out next month.

absolutly right, it's obvious that games come after hl2 will have better graphics and tech than hl2. it's like comparing quake3 with hl1. Maybe Gorgon doesn't mean to make this a stalker vs hl2 thread, but the fact that whenever someone point out something more advance in other game than in hl2 could easily lead to a "vs" thread.

Can people stop trying to compare games that arn't out yet please. Stalker is a bloody rpg adventure with an evolving environment and a completely non-linear approah with massive sprawling environments. HL2 looks like it will be the best fps ever in terms of gameplay. Neither game is out, neither physics engine has been used by any of us, deus ex 2 isn't out yet, far cry isn't, doom 3 isn't, max payne 2 isn't yet at some point they have all been compared on these forums and it just turns into a slagging match of people quoting stats they just made up. Wait and see and then let your personal preference have a go and form an oppinion for yourselves and then keep it to yourlself. Sonic the Hedghodge is so much better than the Gordon Freeman's pants, he's got lots more muscle calculations in his ragdoll physics, ffs.

Originally posted by gamevoodoo
absolutly right, it's obvious that games come after hl2 will have better graphics and tech than hl2. it's like comparing quake3 with hl1. Maybe Gorgon doesn't mean to make this a stalker vs hl2 thread, but the fact that whenever someone point out something more advance in other game than in hl2 could easily lead to a "vs" thread.

But HL1 is better then quake 3 still, so it will depend on alot more then the engine. Time will tell.:cool:

I wouldnt say until I have seen the games in live action. As it stands, Stalker seems nice (seen to little of it), HL2 is a little exaggerated (the way I like most, its a game for Pixels sake), Far Cry is just... odd... (people act like they weight 500kg, and stop instantly. Vehicles do the same when they hit ground (stop instantly), but they can fly like eagles)

"My dad could beat up your dad" yes but dad has more vertices in his rag doll model and has dx9 pixel shading on his arse cheeks.

Havok is way more complex than the freeware open source physics engine they use in Stalker.

No argument.

Originally posted by G0rgon
This is a tech demo of STALKER: Oblivion Lost, the upcoming tactical FPS set in post-nuclear environment currently in works at GSC World.

click here:
http://gamershell.com/news_bSTALKERbTechDemoMoviesP.shtml

Guys, this is not HL2 vs S.O.L thread.

when making a comparison between HL2 and S.O.L, S.O.L got better physics (I hate to say that, but this is the fact) ;(. I hop Valve will show more of the physics features in EC and that will make me (maybe you too) satisfied.:cheers:

Why wont you die?

They could of also eaten some kix cereal while making the physics engine, what do you say about that!?!??!

I voted for hl2.
But to be honest, its because i somehow hate stalker. Not because its a bad game, no, because those evil devs optimized it completely for nvidia cards. Meaning the games gonna be 30% faster on an fx5900 card with more graphical features than on a radeon 9800 pro.
That makes me angry. Stalker would be such a great game apart from that.

how do you know that freddy?

i really hope they didn't succumb to nvidia (satan). stalker looks really really good... and everyone.. EVERYONE will be running radeon 9800pro's because of half-life 2 :)

Why do people insist on believing that ragdoll deaths is the biggest feature of a physics engine? Ragdoll is just an eyecandy bit that is definitely NOT the coolest part of HL2 (/stalker) physics engine.

I have seen stalker in action. I mean the gameplay part. The character animation is terrible they run like in quake2. I know that has nothing to do with physics. But they should fix their animations b4 they include such a high-tech physics system.

Actually, judging from the last STALKER video I saw (the one where they fell from the water tower or whatever it was), the physics wasn't as good as what I've seen from HL2 so far...

Note that I'm not a raving HL2 fanboy, I'm looking forward to S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and they have plenty of time to improve stuff (since it's not going to ship until what, 2004?)

PS: I don't think GeforceFX will perform better than Radeon 9700/9800 in STALKER.. they're using quite a bit of PS 2.0, and GeforceFX shader 2.0 performance is atrocious. For example, take a look at beyond3d's (http://www.beyond3d.com) benchmarks from the latest tomb raider game. It's currently the only game out using PS 2.0, and it's even using nvidia's "own" shader language, Cg, which to my knowledge STALKER is using as well)

I Believe that HL2 will provide very solid physics and graphics Tomorrow at the EC......hopfully.

Originally posted by MoJo|Night
Can people stop trying to compare games that arn't out yet please. Stalker is a bloody rpg adventure with an evolving environment and a completely non-linear approah with massive sprawling environments. HL2 looks like it will be the best fps ever in terms of gameplay. Neither game is out, neither physics engine has been used by any of us, deus ex 2 isn't out yet, far cry isn't, doom 3 isn't, max payne 2 isn't yet at some point they have all been compared on these forums and it just turns into a slagging match of people quoting stats they just made up. Wait and see and then let your personal preference have a go and form an oppinion for yourselves and then keep it to yourlself. Sonic the Hedghodge is so much better than the Gordon Freeman's pants, he's got lots more muscle calculations in his ragdoll physics, ffs.

Hey I have an idea, if you don't want to read VS threads, DON'T CLICK ON THEM. Do you go to the ball game and tell everyone to stop debating which team is better, because "we get to see both play"/"the teams haven't played yet", etc? It's part of human experience, it's considered fun by some people, leave these guys alone and let them have their fun, even if they have few facts to argue with. I like the VS threads, I usually learn something about game technology in them, personally.

too early to say , STALKER is still pre alpha or just went alpha :borg:

Stalker looks awesome and so does Half Life2, Doom 3, Far Cry, Call of Duty and many, many more.. but as we all know, *cough* Unreal2 *cough*, looks are not everything if the game has no substance. Seeing as Valve stated that Half Life 2 is better then HalfLife is terms of gameplay, and Half Life rocked in that department, I am betting that Half Life 2 will be an awesome all around game. Physics, Smhysics.. who cares if the game is short, boring and unimaginative.

I think SOL has a decent and capable ragdoll system, but the vehicle physics are just plain horrible in the video. Maybe it needs tweaking (in my eyes a LOT of tweaking) but in the vehicle section, HL2 wins.
But not really fair because they're in different state's of developement, it won't be untill 2004 before SOL sees the daylight.

Originally posted by rootbin
how do you know that freddy?

i really hope they didn't succumb to nvidia (satan). stalker looks really really good... and everyone.. EVERYONE will be running radeon 9800pro's because of half-life 2 :)

I read it in several mags and interviews. They said they're particularly optimizing for nvidia cards, because nvidia was the only gpu-company that helped them in developement. And they also add special nvidia graphics features. And everywhere where official stalker pics are shown you see "supported by nvidia". Look at the official stalker-page.

I dont want to start a ati vs nvidia war, but I do see it a bit unfair of devs optimizing for only one card and pushing it with exclusive nvidia-only features.

Physics of the game dont seem to bad though. Ragdoll doesnt look as nice as in hl2, but the way they twitch when they're shot is almost a bit better than in hl2. but still, We've seen too little of both games.

What I've seen in videos of Stalkers physics is far from impressive (the boxes). That doesn't really seem to be the point of the game (it's an open ended exploration game, not a tight puzzle/action game).

Originally posted by DeXtRoMeThOrFaN
Theres a lot of hl2 fanboys.
Woah, hold it there. Most of us here are just presenting the facts. Look at the ragdolls in the S.O.L trailer. I think they look a little bit sloppy to me.

Originally posted by DeXtRoMeThOrFaN
Theres a lot of hl2 fanboys.

...the name of this website is HL2.net ........what in the ****ing hell were you expecting when you signed up???

Tetris fans?

Originally posted by FatCombine
Woah, hold it there. Most of us here are just presenting the facts. Look at the ragdolls in the S.O.L trailer. I think they look a little bit sloppy to me.

Were not talking about the trailer, were talking about the ragdoll demo. What facts are you presenting if your not even talking about the subject at hand?

If you refering to the Ragdoll demo, Im not sure what more you want, or what was sloppy about it, that looked damn good too me. Very impressive. Im sure HL2 will be capable of the same thing though.

Gorgon I understand your claim. However, the ragdoll physics cannot be proven better, nor can anything in either game be proven better until HL2 is in our hands. So this thread is full of complete speculation, wheter standing up for or letting down HL2, noone knows.

Back