Star Wars: The Old Republic

Shift

Space Core
Reaction score
Didn't find any topics on this surprisingly but I just found out about it and it looks fantastic.

Essentially its an MMO from Bioware and Lucasarts that has all the exploration and questing aspects of wow with an in depth story development and choice management like Mass Effect, with fully integrated combat to add to the flavor. Looks very promising.

Trailer (one of the best I have ever seen):
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-star-wars/49937

Story and setting:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/vid-doc-star-wars/46733

Combat:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-combat-star-wars/64688

Yeah I've been hoping to get in this beta forever... seems like a good time to me.

edit: That trailer is pretty badass even though I don't have sound. What was with that R2 unit that just showed up and was like "oh hai, u guyz fightin?"

I wish the trailer was more descriptive of the classes in the game... seems like you can be a jedi, a bounty hunter, or worthless guard, or an R2 unit...

Another edit: I guess I could watch the other trailers... still no sound though.

with fully integrated combat to add to the flavor

Fully integrating combat into your game who's primary gameplay element is combat is not "adding to the flavor."

Also, it looks like typical mmo combat. IE: boring as shit.

I meant combat which essentially you have full control over, especially when wielding a lightsabre. And well each to their own lol.

There was some discussion that it might follow an unconventional pricing model. I hope so ... because as good as it probably is I'm never going to purchase a game I have to pay a monthly fee to keep using.

There was some discussion that it might follow an unconventional pricing model. I hope so ... because as good as it probably is I'm never going to purchase a game I have to pay a monthly fee to keep using.
Seconded. I don't think I will ever pay a monthly fee for a game. I just don't have the time (or money) to devote to such things anymore. This does look really fun though and of all the fictional universes to choose from, this is likely my favorite. :(

I just can't suspend my disbelief when I see someone get hit with a lightsaber and they don't die instantly. If I hit you, you should be in pieces.

looks nice, but I can't stand any MMO games

It's going to have a monthly subscription, whether you like it or not.
And more than likely, micro transactions on top of that. It'll probably have something similar to All Point Bulletin's payment model and that game isn't even an MMO.

Wow, that looks like crap even for a Star Wars MMO. I wouldn't be interested even if it were completely free. I couldn't even sit through the entire 10 minute video of hacking and slashing before being bored with it. It's sad to think there were probably a bunch of people sitting around in a room deciding on whether to make a new KOTOR or an MMO, and they opted for an MMO.

CG movies are not trailers.

I think the game itself doesn't look appealing at all, but I don't play MMOs.

Looks neat, but was that solo gameplay or what? I've heard you have a permanent AI companion who takes part in dialogue and stuff, so was that who the bounty hunter was, or was that a human party member?

Either way I'm curious to see how they handle cutscene/dialogue stuff with multiple players...

****in Jedis, ****in Jedis and Siths, that's what everyone is going to be.

A lot of people are going to think along the same lines and pick other classes to be "unique." Then everyone's going to collectively say "Aww, shit," when there's thousands of Boba Fetts, troopers, and Han Solos running around.

Meanwhile the people who wanted to play jedi and sith and didn't care about other players will be having fun.

If I get it I'll be a bounty hunter. If there are too many of those I'll be a trooper because I like-a da big guns.

****in whatever man, I don't want to be a Boba Fett or a Han Solo, or a ****in Stormtrooper.

I'll tell you what I want to be. I want to be a goddamn Droid. If I can't be a droid, LAME GAY. I want to be a rogue droid like IG-88 or 4 LOM and serve as the sidekick/minion to some shady evil mother ****er who slaughters children Jedi for fun.

Droids 4 Life

I know what you mean ZT, I'd love to play a droid...but regardless I think this game looks pretty sweet. We'll have to see if it lives up to it though.

SWG (pre-nge) > this

I would agree, but you never know until you've played it. Mind you, if they can't match SWG's space game play I will be so disappointed.

go, play droidworks for if you want to be a droid.

The real fun of Jedi Outkast Cheats was spawning a bunch of Landos and Lukes and force throwing them off cliffs to hear their awkward screams of terror.

Ahahaha yeah Luke's was always the worst.

I just can't suspend my disbelief when I see someone get hit with a lightsaber and they don't die instantly. If I hit you, you should be in pieces.

KOTOR is not the only one guilty of this. Jedi Outcast/Academy would have you only slicing arms and The Force Unleashed's lightsaber would sooner pummel its victim across the map than slice through him or her. :(

KOTOR is not the only one guilty of this. Jedi Outcast/Academy would have you only slicing arms and The Force Unleashed's lightsaber would sooner pummel its victim across the map than slice through him or her. :(

My friend worked on the force unleashed. He made the suggestion (that obviously wasn't implemented) that the game should play out more like Left 4 Dead in that you're facing off against dozens of enemies that, on their own, would be easy to dispatch, but in a group they are much more difficult.

I wish they would have made it more like that.

Space combat confirmed.

Space combat is an alternative gameplay experience to the primary game of storytelling, questing, and ground-based combat. In space combat, you fly your personal ship to various “hot spots” on your galaxy map. From there, you will blast your way through asteroid fields, enemy fighters, frigates, destroyers, and a variety of other obstacles that will evoke memories of some of the great Star Wars™ space battles.

I am sure that the whiners will find something new to whine about.

If you can walk around in your ship in space like you can in SW galaxies I'm sold.

I'm happy my first shipment of PC Gamer will be coming by August. Hooray for $5 subscriptions from amazon...

Is this an internet based web game factory made cd-rom for personal computers entertainment value system?

We could certainly use a good MMO. World of Warcraft remains like the only good one... ever.

I've tried Warhammer, Champions, Star Trek, and Aion since WoW and all of them were crap. Aion came the closest to being cool, having awesome controls, feel, and crafting, but was completely ruined by the tortuous level grind.

Don't **** this up, Bioware! Don't you dare!

Back