Star Wars: The Old Republic Going Free-to-Play

Warped Dan

Vortigaunt
Reaction score
Star Wars: The Old Republic will add a free-to-play option this Fall. Those who opt to play for free will have access to all the story content for all eight classes, and will be able to level a character all the way up to the current cap of 50. Some content will be restricted, though, and will only be attainable through paying a monthly subscription fee of $14.99 or using an upcoming in-game currency called "Cartel Coins" to make purchases (subscribers also get monthly allotments of Cartel Coins).
Paid content is said to include new high level content, new features and unlimited access. While free players will be able to access all the story content, they'll have to pay to access new content, as well as get additional bank slots and get unlimited plays in PvP warzones. Players who only play for free will be able to jump in warzones weekly, but only a few times before they're locked out of the content and asked to pay. Subscribers will have unlimited access to warzones.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07...+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

I'd give it a whirl, anyone else either play this or try it out?

Wow, I didn't think this would happen so soon...

I would be excited for this had I not tried it out during a free weekend and really disliked it :/

Wow, would I be pissed if I spent $60 on this...

I was pissed that I hit the level 15 cap for the free trial thing. Hurray for me!

I bought and played (monthly sub too) for a few months.. Stopped playing because it got boring, but I heard patches added alot of shit. Either way, I doubt it changed. It's fun at first, but it eventually gets really repetitive. Like REALLY repetitive. You're just doing the same shit over and over. Somehow WoW does the exact same thing, but it's fun to play WoW. But really, all MMORPGs get boring eventually.

Maybe I'll start back up with this Free-2-Play stuff purely to finish the story of my Jedi. Or maybe my Bounty Hunter. If that account still exist.

Wow, would I be pissed if I spent $60 on this...
I did and I am. After the Battlefield 3 gravy train runs out, I'm 100% done with EA.. We as customers just get ****ed time and time again. It's like some weird EA ritual to **** their customers. Idc what crazy awesome game they may release, I'm not giving them ANY more money for this reason.

I bought it and played for a few months too. Im not pissed about it going F2P though, because I didnt invest that much time/money into it. If I was a subscriber this whole time I'd be furious though. But thats MMOs for you.

I will probably start playing it again though. I only stopped because I have so many other interests that use my time, that I knew I'd end up paying 15 bones a month for like 4-6 hours of game time.

Might play it just for the story.

The whole "The subscription model was a barrier to many players" thing, while technically true, seems misleading to me. A more honest way of putting it would be that a lot of players didn't think your game justified it's $15 monthly cost. After all, subscription-based MMOs still exist on the market and can perform well despite everybody wanting a piece of the F2P pie. There seems to be some embarrassment over their moneysink of a game underperforming like this.

Bioware can't admit their baby hasn't had the most stellar handling or was conceptually flawed during development. I don't expect them to since they want to keep a happy face on things. And it's not like their game has tanked or anything. But their PR has gotten pretty annoying to read. That said, SWTOR was a game I said I'd never download unless it went free considering I was none too impressed with the beta/trial. I just don't see myself putting a dollar into it.

I'll admit it here, I bought TOR after I graduated BMT in a moment of weakness since I was really, really bored and needed something to occupy my time.

Well, worst $60 I ever spent (The worst $30 I ever spent was on Left Behind: Eternal Forces.) since I basically played for about 5 hours total and then just gave up hope entirely in bioware and the star wars IP. god, why. why did they do this to kotor.

we asked for kotor 3 you mother****ers not this pile of garbage

I enjoyed the time I played, I wouldn't say it's a bad game, I'm just more interested in GW2 ATM.

It was pretty fun for a while, but like all MMOs it gets boring eventually. Might give it a go for a month next year, check out the patched content.

I even lost interest in EVE, though it lasted longest for me.

Back