States with the Worst Drivers [USA]

VirusType2

Reaction score
GMAC Insurance has released the results of its National Drivers Test for 2009. The test, which measures basic knowledge of driving laws, was given to more than 5,000 drivers from all 50 states and the District of Columbia -- and New Yorkers finished last.

This was just a knowledge test, not a refection of the number of infractions or accidents.
a press release, GMAC explains, "Results from the 2009 GMAC Insurance National Drivers Test released today found that 20.1 percent of licensed Americans - amounting to roughly 41 million drivers on the road - would not pass a written drivers test exam if taken today." Most of us have trouble, according to the results, with "questions about yellow lights and safe following distances."

State Rankings

Note: Many states tied for the same position in the rankings.

1 IDAHO
1 WISCONSIN
3 MONTANA
4 KANSAS
5 SOUTH DAKOTA
5 NEBRASKA
7 UTAH
8 WYOMING
8 IOWA
8 OREGON
8 MINNESOTA
12 ALASKA
12 NORTH DAKOTA
14 VERMONT
15 COLORADO
15 MISSOURI
17 OKLAHOMA
17 WASHINGTON
19 NEW MEXICO
20 NORTH CAROLINA
21 VIRGINIA
22 INDIANA
22 MICHIGAN
24 ARKANSAS
24 TEXAS
26 ALABAMA
26 NEVADA
28 WEST VIRGINIA
29 ILLINOIS
30 ARIZONA
31 MAINE
32 DELAWARE
33 NEW HAMPSHIRE
34 OHIO
35 KENTUCKY
36 PENNSYLVANIA
37 LOUISIANA
38 TENNESSEE
38 MISSISSIPPI
40 SOUTH CAROLINA
40 MARYLAND
42 CONNECTICUT
43 FLORIDA
44 DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
45 MASSACHUSETTS
46 RHODE ISLAND
47 GEORGIA
48 CALIFORNIA
49 HAWAII
50 NEW JERSEY
51 NEW YORK

New York has the worst drivers this year. Idaho and Wisconsin the best.

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/aut...xNDkEc2VjA2ZwLXRvZGF5BHNsawN3b3JzdC1kcml2ZXJz

Nearly 1 in 4 licensed American drivers don't know the rules of the road.

Comforting.

Man, last time I visited California, I was terrified being on that highway coming in from Vegas to Los Angeles. Craziest... ****ing... drivers... EVER.

I've never seen anything here in Texas like I have in California. I don't even remember it being bad when I was a kid living in California, but I'm an adult now and I'm aware of things outside the vehicle now other than my imaginary car I'm driving alongside.

Every time I go to New York and New Jersey, I see people who drive like Grand Theft Auto. Old people flip you off and wizz past going 80 MPH.

I'm surprised at these results, people always say their state has the worst drivers lol...

So basically the most populated states have the most bad drivers? WHO COULD'VE GUESSED?!

Seems about right. Florida drivers are f**k tards.

Seems like Louisiana should be ranked higher... Ever driven the back roads down to florida? Yeah, drive in a car packed with airbags...

So basically the most populated states have the most bad drivers? WHO COULD'VE GUESSED?!

The test, which measures basic knowledge of driving laws, was given to more than 5,000 drivers from all 50 states and the District of Columbia -- and New Yorkers finished last.

Yeah New Jersey is full of people who DONT KNOW HOW TO ****ING DRIVE YOU BITCH WHY WOULD TRY TO PARK WHEN YOU SAW ME PARKING I WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF PARKING MY ****ING CAR AND THEN YOU TRIED TO PARK ANYWAY AND CAME OUT OF YOUR CAR SCREAMING AT ME LIKE IT WAS MY FAULT YOU WHORE.

It sucks

Yeah New Jersey is full of people who DONT KNOW HOW TO ****ING DRIVE YOU BITCH WHY WOULD TRY TO PARK WHEN YOU SAW ME PARKING I WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF PARKING MY ****ING CAR AND THEN YOU TRIED TO PARK ANYWAY AND CAME OUT OF YOUR CAR SCREAMING AT ME LIKE IT WAS MY FAULT YOU WHORE.

It sucks

I can't take your new jersey accent seriously unless you spell it Paahhk instead of Park.

Having lived here my entire life I have yet to meet anyone who talks like that. :(

Having lived here my entire life I have yet to meet anyone who talks like that. :(

yeah yah, well, that's joke is at least 50 years old.

Family from New York also insists they definitely don't say 'Forget-a-boud-it'

Truth is, I also have relatives in NJ and they ... kinda say pahk

this is a stupid list, the worst drivers are in the most congested areas. I live in NY and have been driving for almost a decade and have not had one accident

I've been driving much longer than that and never had an accident either. Really, that's of no relevance.
1: because this was a written test about driving laws and had nothing to do with being accident prone.
2: (i forget the word for it) because it's just your personal experience out of hundreds of millions of other personal experiences that would have to be judged too - if that were what this was even about.

if you drive every day on the highway and are around traffic jams a lot then you're more likely to be an a$$hole on the road...like me, im a really wreckless driver, i think im the stig or something, i take risks cutting people off all the time, i cant remember the last time i followed the speed limit, im always at least 20-30km/h over the limit....

i really need to tone it down.

lol'd at Wisconsin. So true.

That would work if the list even remotely suggested it.

What? It does.

The top five worst states are in the top 11 most populated states, with the exception of Hawaii, but Hawaiians are bigger idiots than mainlanders so they dont count.

New York has the worst drivers, and one of the biggest populations. Then take into account population density and its even more obvious.

List of most densely populated states and their driving ranking:

Most Dense:----------- : Driving Rank
1 DC-------------------- 44
2 Jersey-----------------50
3 Rhode Island---------46
4 Massachusetts--------45
5 Connecticut-----------42
6 Maryland--------------40
7 Delaware--------------32
8 New York--------------51
9 Florida-----------------43
10 Ohio------------------34
11 Pennsylvania--------36
12 California------------48
13 Illinois----------------29
14 Hawaii----------------49
15 Virginia---------------21
16 North Carolina-------20
17 Michigan--------------22
18 Indiana---------------22
19 Georgia---------------47
20 Tennessee------------38

So basically 15 out of the top 20 most densly populated states occupy a spot in the bottom 20 of the Driver Ranking.

@ Van_Halen: That quote does nothing to disprove me.

They probably are just plain more aggressive with traffic because it's SO FLIPPIN CROWDED. Like shopping at the mall on Christmas Eve. STABBING PEOPLE.

But still, like, this is a written test guys. They don't know how to obey traffic signs and lights.

Oooh, you can take the test here: www.nationaldriverstest.com

I got a 70% but some of the questions are pretty bullshit.

19. In bad weather, you should make your car easier for others to see by:
A. Turning on your headlights
B. Turning on your emergency flashers
C. Turning on your parking lights
D. Flash your high beams

It depends on how bad the weather is. A snow storm or torrential downpour may require hazard lights, but bad weather like moderate rain would just be headlights. It doesnt specify the degree of the bad weather.

9. When making right or left turns, a driver should signal _______ before the turn?
A. 100 feet
B. 50 feet
C. 35 feet
D. 5 feet

This is also bullshit because I have lived in many places where its impossible to signal in that amount of time, or where doing so will only confuse the driver behind you if you signal 100 feet in advance you might be passing three streets before actually turning.

14. When you are merging onto the freeway, you should be driving:
A. At or near the same speed as the traffic on the freeway
B. 5 to 10 miles per hour slower than the traffic on the freeway
C. The posted speed limit for traffic on the freeway

Bullshit question. The "correct" answer was A. But according to law, answer A and answer C should be at or near the same speed.

16. Under most conditions what is a safe following distance?
A. 3 seconds
B. 10 seconds
C. 20 seconds

Answer was A. But that implies that the others are also safe distances. Bullshit.

8. You may pass on the right of another vehicle when:
A. When traveling on a multi-lane highway carrying two or more lanes of traffic in the same direction
B. The other vehicle is making or about to make a left turn, when a lane is provided to pass on the right
C. Both answers are correct

Answer was C. But I know for a fact my driving instructor taught me to never pass on the right unless its a road with three or more lanes going in the same direction. I remember it specifically.

Oooh, you can take the test here: www.nationaldriverstest.com

I got a 70% but some of the questions are pretty bullshit.
Good find.

gmacdrivertest.png

90%. Pretty much what I expected. I think I got a 92% on my last official driver test.

Unfortunately, I had something blocked - probably scriptblock, so I didn't get to find out which answers I got wrong. So I learned nothing.

There was like 20 questions, so I guess that means I missed 2.

It only takes a few minutes if you know the answers. Give it a shot.

I got the same score (90%, missed 2 questions) - a couple of these questions were a little vague, but most of them are easy enough.

I was hoping Arizona would have better drivers because of the police force here. The driving laws are so strict here.

Back