Steam 3 soon.

^Ben

Reaction score
Major Steam Overhaul Soon.

We're getting ready to release a fairly significant overhaul of the look
and feel of Steam, ahead of the release of Rag Doll Kung Fu.

Part of this release is going to give individual games more space for
people to see screenshots and information about individual games,
including MODs.

Currently if you go to the Third Party Games area of the Steam store
you'll see a listing of the most popular MODs currently being played,
along with a text description and a couple of screenshots. You can also
get to this web page directly by going here:

http://storefront.steampowered.com/3rdparty.php?s=0,2,4,6&i=0,220,340,24
0,300,320&a=0,10,20,30,40.

What would be really helpful would be for any MOD that is currently
listed on this page to put together some of this material and send it on
to me. What we need is:

1. A short 50 words or less description of the game.
2. 5 screenshots in .jpg format to include. The width of the screenshots
can be no greater that 1024px, but the aspect ratio is up to you.

Once you have these together, .zip up all of the materials and e-mail
them to me and we'll make sure this gets into the update coming up.

From the Erik Johnson.

...what? While we're trying to get our games to work because the update screwed them all, VALVe are redesigning steam to make it look different, and to showcase mods?!

Don't worry, because "getting ready" in Valve-speak doesn't mean "soon." ;)

I think i'll nip this in the bud.

The people who work on steam are different from the people who work on the updates to the source engine.

JPack said:
Don't worry, because "getting ready" in Valve-speak doesn't mean "soon." ;)

We're getting ready to release a fairly significant overhaul of the look
and feel of Steam, ahead of the release of Rag Doll Kung Fu.

So it has to come out before RDKF which comes out on the 12th.

Well, that means I'm already enjoying Lost Coast then. :)

^Ben said:
I think i'll nip this in the bud.

The people who work on steam are different from the people who work on the updates to the source engine.

are you 100% sure about that :p

No, he's completely wrong. EVERYONE at Valve work on one project at a time. Hell, even the secretary at the door has to design level for whatever game they are working. Old Guss the janitor made dod_donner. And what Valve likes to do is just move from one project to the other, and never go back. When they have an update for Source, EVERYONE was working on that update. If you go into valve you'll see everyone working on the same thing. it's awesome.

I just hope that the Friends Network will be usable then. Oh how I miss that. It would be really handy now. A friend of mine just got the Silver pack and never played much of any HL1 - HL2 game, and he wants to learn (He's a Halo / console fanboy) Well, It's hard as crap to talk to him, because he WON'T get any sort of messenger (AIM or anything like that)... So there's nothing but Emails. So it's lame trying to tell him a server to join and all that.

TheMastahC said:
I just hope that the Friends Network will be usable then. Oh how I miss that. It would be really handy now. A friend of mine just got the Silver pack and never played much of any HL1 - HL2 game, and he wants to learn (He's a Halo / console fanboy) Well, It's hard as crap to talk to him, because he WON'T get any sort of messenger (AIM or anything like that)... So there's nothing but Emails. So it's lame trying to tell him a server to join and all that.
Apparently, that's one of the areas they are currently focusing on.

TheMastahC said:
No, he's completely wrong. EVERYONE at Valve work on one project at a time. Hell, even the secretary at the door has to design level for whatever game they are working. Old Guss the janitor made dod_donner. And what Valve likes to do is just move from one project to the other, and never go back. When they have an update for Source, EVERYONE was working on that update. If you go into valve you'll see everyone working on the same thing. it's awesome.

That is false.. :rolleyes:

That is false..
No, I visited valve and I seen Janitor Guss making Donner!
He was cleaning up a spill, and making the map at the same time! Guys multi talented.

Ohh, that's just what I need. First the lag in CS:S, now a "renovation" of Steam... :hmph:
And I do agree lol-hardley with the 1 that said about in VALVe time it won't be so "soon". :LOL: So that's good news for me. :)

What about the mods NOT on the third part list? Anyone noticed the Hidden : Source consistently running alongside Plan of Attack and Battlegrounds 2 in terms of playercounts. No matter what time of day or night, its always in the top ten source mods. When was the last time someone played halflife rally?

Can we have a listing please? I already know that the answer is silence. Cheers Valve

dys-Fuzzy said:
What mod ^Ben?

What? They just want MOD's like dystopia to send them more media and a bigger description.

^Ben: Sorry, when I posted I didn't realise that email had been sent out to the HL Coders list. I thought it had been specifically sent out to you.

As for sending our 50 words and screenshots, done and done.

Back