Steam and 56k

0zz0

Reaction score
I was wondering is as a 56ker should i d/l and use steam?
and if not then will there be other ways to update hl2 i wonder.

No. One of the requirements for stean is "Broadband."
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
Windows 98, ME, 2000 or XP
256 MB RAM
1.0 Ghz processor
1GB HD space (strongly recommended)
Broadband Internet connection (128kb/s or higher strongly recommended)
(If you are not sure your computer meets these system requirements, please check with your computer manufacturer.
Taken from http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=getsteamnow
You can udpate HL2 with game patches. Who said you need Steam to do that? Well unless you buy the Steam version which you can't if you 56k. :)

Hey, wait a minute there, I'm on 56k and I use Steam.

For those 3 HL movies it took all day to download, it MAXES out your connection, it's pretty cool, acxcording to steam I was downloading at 55kbps, and my steam folder (since July19) is now 2.32GB (on 56k) so I'm satisfied, I like Steam very much.

I guess the question just is do you have patience, then yes.

it's ok if they don't corrupt all your stuff, forcing you to download it all over again.

thx for the info greatly appreciated i just dunno if i wanna d/l steam and use it.

I'm on 56k, it works fine.

Notice on the connection configuration, it has ALL modems, suggesting that anyone can use steam.

Yeah but playing a single player game over Steam will be awful. Half Life and Oppossing Force download as you play. You'd have to wait an age every time you go to a new level.

Pah, modems are from the dark ages.

I run a personal 1 Megabit connection, and I can't imagine running anything slower, how do you stand the waiting?

It's time to upgrade that connection along with the rest of your computer, don't skimp on the important things.

Anyways whenver I load Opposing Force on steam it crashes (when I click play game). I dont know whether this is because of Steam's numerous bugs and glitches or because of my connection.

Erm, yeah Mr_Matt, some of us can't afford broadband or more powerful connections, I know I can't, and since my 56K got borked, I am on a 28.8K.

how do you stand the waiting?

patience is a virtue.

well if ure like me u dont stand the waiting and dont bother :p
id get broadband but well there isnt much point

Steam was mostly for broadband users when it was a beta since it was not very stable, but since the final release its possible to use it with a modem (since its much more stable now).

As far as I can see it isn't very stable at the moment. On a 56k it frequently crashes and takes >1min to sometimes load up.

Sorry, i was wrong, but i run on broadband and Steam is much more stable than before.

Yeah I know, but this still irritated me:

Pah, modems are from the dark ages.

I run a personal 1 Megabit connection, and I can't imagine running anything slower, how do you stand the waiting?

maybe you can afford running that, but theres no need to be arrogant

I have 64k and it doesnt run

Could not connect to Steam network.
Either the Steam network is currently not running, or your internet connection is down.Please check your internet connection and try again.

damn I have no firewalls blocking it, internet connection isn't down and I have re-installed it for 10 times.it is getting very annoying..

Thats because unless you have a super-fast connection Steam will constantly crash.

Back