Steam and spyware?

M

mortisimo

Hello. I currently do not have Steam installed and don't plan to do so until HL2 is released. I've been following HL2 pretty closely since it was announced and today GN confirmed that Steam would be necessary for MP play in HL2. I've also seen numerous posts here and at other forums that Steam installs spyware. Is this true? If so, does anyone know what spyware it installs and if those programs can be disabled without affecting Steam?

Thanks.

it can easily get stuff past your defenses

but it would be very unlikely (only disgruntled employee or hacker, and for the latter steam servers are very secure)

The only thing close to spyware in steam is the large disk pace it eats up downloading the HL2 videos (but you can turn that off), and the way it sometimes leaves the hl.exe running even when it isn't using it, thus eating up memory.

There's nothing wrong with steam: it's not insidious, trying to trip you up through install with bargain programs or silly navbars, it's just there to help you and increase your enjoyment of the half life genre.

The only problem is that it's a bit buggy, but it's being fixed all the time. Give it a try, you can remove it easily at any time.

Thanks for the clarification MI6. :cheers:

I didn't think Valve needed to ape Kazzaa's business model, but when enough rumors get going even those of us with a high degree of faith in Valve can end up second-guessing our instincts.

Now I'm off to install Steam...

I Installed it :D and it's really great fun to play cs again! lol

I can't believe that people think there's spyware in Steam. That's ridiculous.

Spyware or no apyware I still get to play opposing force until HL2 comes out, I'm happy.

You got opposing force to work? Blimey, dam thing always gives me errors.

Back