Steam Beta Client: In-Home Streaming Now Supports Non-Steam Games

Pikminiman

Assistant Writer
Reaction score
Last week, the Steam Beta client was updated to formally support virtual reality as well as In-Home Streaming between different PCs over a local area network. Now, Martin Otten of the Steam team has posted a changelog for today’s changes to the Steam Beta client. Perhaps most notable is the fact that Steam In-Home Streaming will no longer be restricted to games that users own on Steam. Now users of In-Home Streaming will be able to stream non-Steam games to and from PCs connected on a local network.

This theoretically allows users to wirelessly stream non-Steam titles such as SimCity, Hearthstone, World of Warcraft, and even League of Legends by simply adding them to their Steam libraries as non-Steam games. This also provides users with a method of accessing any game title on any PC platform, regardless of DRM or OS restrictions. For example, any Windows only game can now be used on Mac or Linux, etc.

The changelog also pointed out Ukrainian language support for the Steam client, some general bug fixes, a handful of usability improvements to In-Home Streaming, and some stability and visual improvements to Steam’s VR mode.

As always, we’ll be sure you keep you up-to-date on the latest Steam news.

Maxofs2d tested this about a week ago, as you can see its still in beta

Anyone been playing around with this yet? Had some very positive results on my netbook. It couldn't play anything which needs a good framerate very well, but Civ5 was definitely playable. Anyone with a decent second machine should have a great time with the streaming.

Might have written something on The Reticule :shh:

I now know why the forums are so quiet. People apparently need to plug themselves to be able to show their faces. :p

Well I had a glance at the gen games for a normal post..and it seemed like a barren wasteland :p

Also, find it difficult to return to a forum after a long time away, never know the best way to reintegrate. People remembered me for Reticule spam, so I thought I'd carry on :D

Back