Steam Cloud Coming This Week

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
<div align="center">
image1.jpg
</div>[br]

Valve announced Steam Cloud a set of services for Steam that stores application data online and allows user experiences to be consistent from any PC, is coming out this week. This free steam extension will ship with the Left 4 Dead demo coming on Thursday for you who pre-ordered and Nov 11th for you who still having doubts for the game.

the information stored and accessible through the Steam Cloud includes keyboard, mouse, and gamepad configurations, as well as multiplayer settings such as spraypaint images.[br]

The Steam Cloud will "just work," meaning any user changes to their game options will propagate to the Cloud by default. Upon logging into Steam from another PC, these settings will be brought down from the Cloud and automatically leveraged by the game. Any configuration changes on this second machine are then synced to the Cloud for future sessions.

Valve will add Cloud support to its back catalog of Steam games. And it will be available to all publishers and developers using Steam, free of charge.[br]
Update:

HL2net: Could Steam Cloud store saved games online?[br]
Doug Lombardi: "Not initially, but it is planned for a future update."

Yay!
I've been waiting for this so long.

sweet.
edit:
yeah I've been waiting for this a very long time too.

Very cool feature. Nice to finally see it get implemented.

Very cool!

Though, I usually don't play on different machines. :p

That's a great feature. Especially after you re-install Windows and then have to re-configure every game.

I don't like change. I choose to fear this new addition!

I can't remember how many times I've had to reset the game's configuration, this is going to come in handy.

Will the L4D demo feature all game mods? An how many maps are going to be playable?

It is going to appear on my games list right? I did not preorrdered the game so I'll have to wait for Nov 11th.

Will the L4D demo feature all game mods? An how many maps are going to be playable?

It is going to appear on my games list right? I did not preorrdered the game so I'll have to wait for Nov 11th.

It contains the first 2 maps of the first campaign, and I doubt you will be able to use mods with owning only the demo.

I honestly think Steam Cloud, along with all the other services Steam provides (Friends, Voice Chat, Instant Messaging) is the proverbial icing on the the cake for Valve.

This is by far the most any game developer has gone out of their way for outstanding customer service in my experiences. Truly remarkable how a software company actually gives a damn about customers after the game is sold. It's gonna be nice to know that if I uninstall a game or format a drive, when I have it ready to go again, I won't need to bother with settings ever again.

EA Games and Activision/Blizzard need to take a real close look at their business models and to raise the bar up to this kind of standard.

Brilliant, 10/10, bravo Valve.

Bit of a shame there's no save game support yet, but it's a good start.

lol Goatse
Is that the official logo?

thats exactly what i was going to say but decided to scan the replies in case somebody already had.

its sad that the internet has had this affect on me. where once i wouldve seen an image of god himself parting the clouds i now only see a guy pulling his ass apart :x

thats exactly what i was going to say but decided to scan the replies in case somebody already had.

its sad that the internet has had this affect on me. where once i wouldve seen an image of god himself parting the clouds i now only see a guy pulling his ass apart :x

Gee, thanks for reminding me of that horrific image. :frown:

Whew, I thought I was the only who wondered why HL2.net would put a reference to goatse on their front page.

Just great, DigiQ8. I don't know whether to laugh or cry because of your image choice.

Been waiting for this for a long, long time... great feature Valve! :D

It'd be nice (and save me a few seconds) if some settings were propagated between games as suggested... so I install a new game and it doesn't default to 1024x768 with no anti-aliasing, or whatever. I know this would save me 20 seconds maximum, but at this point, I can't suggest anything less petty to Valve than saving me 20 seconds :p

Actually I doubt it will transfer graphics settings. Such things are PC-specific.

The only thing I've ever changed was difficulty and what character (in HL: Deathmatch, HL2: Deathmatch and a few other games I never play) I play as. And I only play on 1 computer. Perhaps not that useful for me, but surely useful for some.

Back