Steam Dev Days 2014

Q:
Where can I register as press/media?
A:
This is an off the record event.

--
Gabe Newell pushes a small red button beneath a marble bust of John Carmack.

The floor of the hall begins to open; surprised men and women leap to the sides of the slowly forming chasm.

The floor halts, leaving a single terrified indie developer clambering off of a giant illuminated relief of the earth's surface.

"Ladies and Gentlemen,"--Gabe begins, gesturing his hands above the gigantic floor map--"the time has come."

Steel shutters fall into place behind each of the halls windows; the doors slam shut.

"In thirty seconds the world you once knew will have passed into memory; the journalists, publishers and customers who once dictated our every move will have been reduced to radioactive dust."

A holographic representation of a 'Steam Machine' prototype appears above the map.

"The atomic devices we have smuggled into the homes of millions of gamers worldwide are ready for detonation."

The hologram fades as Gabe begins to walk amongst the crowd.

"No longer will we live in fear of our art. No longer will we be held accountable for our vain pretentious ambitions. All that will matter is the game!"

The cheering of the crowd is broken by a scream from the auditorium; a man is frantically trying to smash the door with a chair.

"Please,"--he moans--"I have a wife and children, I don't care about video games!" He turns to see the eyes of the other developers staring blankly at him from behind Gabe; his face filled with pity.

"You're insane.. all of you insane!" the man shouts at the top of his lungs; before the shout becomes a scream.
--

Back