Steam Machine Prototype Revealed + Details

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
The prototype box for the Steam Machine project has been revealed today by The Verge. At around 12 inches long and 2.9 inches tall, the Steam Machine, shown below, is currently larger than a standard Xbox 360 but is also far smaller than the average gaming PC.

steammachine-jpg.24516

The Verge article discusses how Valve have specifically designed the Steam Machine casing to perfectly suit the components contained within it, allowing individual pieces of hardware to ventilate and breathe independently of one another. For example, the processor will be ventilated by blowing air out of the top, while the power supply has access to the side, leaving the graphics card with plenty of space at the rear of the machine. The case design restricts airflow between components, forcing all heated air to leave the device. The Verge reports that this design allows the box to remain "surprisingly cool and quiet", even though Valve are still actively tweaking and improving the design in their prototyping lab.

steammc-jpg.24521
steammachineopen-jpg.24518
The article also covers the Steam Controller, which has clearly been through some extremely bizarre prototyping. Valve began developing the Steam Controller by experimenting with old trackballs before eventually deciding that touch surfaces offer a modern alternate while retaining the precision of earlier prototypes. The Verge's Sean Hollister discusses how the controls and touchpads were surprisingly accurate and responsive despite initially appearing unfamiliar due to the controller's unconventional design. If the platform and concept takes off, Valve are planning to contract large-scale manufacturers in order to mass-produce the controller.​
controlleropen-jpg.24519

Interestingly, The Verge also discusses how Valve's hardware team mentioned their unannounced virtual reality headset and how the team are currently planning to implement bio-metric sensors onto the device to track the wearer's reactions to games. The headset will be able to track the user's reactions at the earlobe in order to provide custom tailored experiences which react to whether or not the user is scared, excited, etc, similar to an advanced version of the omnipotent Director from the Left 4 Dead games.

As far as the future is concerned, the Steam Machines and the Steam Controllers are essentially the basic building blocks for Valve's future, providing them with an independent, open platform which they may use to experiment and innovate with additional technology such as virtual reality and bio-metrics. Valve reiterate that the Steam Machines are not designed to compete with traditional next-generation consoles such as the upcoming Playstation 4 and Xbox One, as the platform is specifically designed as an alternate platform just for gamers.

steamcontrollerproto-jpg.24520

While we still don't have any information regarding Valve's hardware and software partners or the price of the Steam Controller and the Steam Machines, we are confident more details will be made available in January at CES 2014 in Las Vegas. The journey ahead will definitely be a difficult one, but if anyone is going to change the gaming landscape in such a dramatic way, we're just glad Valve will be the ones to do it.

Valve have recently released a number of high resolution images of the Steam Machine and the Steam Controller, all of which are available below.

SteamController1.jpgSteamController2.jpgSteamController3.jpgSteamMachine1.jpgSteamMachine2.jpgSteamMachine3.jpg

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 11,113
  • SteamMachine.jpg
    SteamMachine.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 15,348
  • SteamMachineOpen.jpg
    SteamMachineOpen.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 11,916
  • ControllerOpen.jpg
    ControllerOpen.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 9,143
  • SteamControllerProto.jpg
    SteamControllerProto.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 15,594
  • SteamMC.jpg
    SteamMC.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 17,158
I like the look of this. I just want to know the price.

Explain why.

Well I don't have a console, and it would be nice to play my games in my family room and not spend all the time in my room, on my computer. It's also a better setup then I have for my computer.

Is that a TV tuner I see? Are these supposed to have DVR functionality?

I would like to add that all the plastic parts inside of the machine and the controler thats opened up exposing its PCB are 3D printed (FDM). The last photo of the controller looks to be injection molded parts.

Engadget also got a hands on

SteamOS is not the replacement for Windows 8 you've been waiting for. Beyond basics like browsing the web, there's little in the way of standard OS functions. While Valve reps showed off slides of the box's vanity shots using a Windows PC, I asked how I'd view such shots from within SteamOS -- the answer is that there's no real way to do so, as there's no file browsing system or image viewing application.

That could be annoying when it comes to hardcore modding, custom .ini files or simple mods for older games.

so much sexier than xbone and ps4, and more powerful. More innovative and better Controller. Better OS. Better Games, more games, more exclusives. Valve in the Background. Cheaper games. Half-Life 3. gg

Consoles can go **** themselves. Wait. The price! That will decide.

Engadget also got a hands on
That could be annoying when it comes to hardcore modding, custom .ini files or simple mods for older games.

I am not worried about that. the OS is built on top linux i don't imagine it would be hard to implement those features whether valve officially does it, or some one else just makes it happen.

Will the SteamOS be open sourced? if so you could expect the things fans want in variant distributions of the OS

EDIT: The announcement page Q&A does say that the OS's source code will be released for people to mess with.
Can I download the OS to try it out?
You will be able to download it (including the source code, if you're into that) but not yet.

Well I don't have a console, and it would be nice to play my games in my family room and not spend all the time in my room, on my computer. It's also a better setup then I have for my computer.
For little money you could buy a computer that does what this machine does right now.

I want that case by itself. I'm looking at my Antec 800 right now and while it's great, it's not efficient like that thing.

My question is whether or not I will, at any point, be able to buy just that case. I have the components for it already; I just want dat chassis.

My question is whether or not I will, at any point, be able to buy just that case. I have the components for it already; I just want dat chassis.
The case in the renders, or the opened up prototype? the prototype is probably a compact case that they bought, then modified it adding 3d printed parts.

The case in the renders, or the opened up prototype? the prototype is probably a compact case that they bought, then modified it adding 3d printed parts.
Either one, honestly. If their prototype is a modified pre-existing case, I'd love to know which original case that is.

I like the look of this. I just want to know the price.
I believe that it's been stated that the price will vary as you'll be able to buy different systems from different manufacturers at different specifications.

Back